Old November 24th 15, 07:55 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Terje Mathisen[_3_]
Default What €250 buys in a GPS these days

On 2015-11-22 04:43, Terje Mathisen wrote:
Not possible if you also have to have an USB cable, i.e. my mapping
tablet needs to be able to turn around freely.

You don't need the tablet to record a track. Better to be light in the
woods and heavy on the processing back home.

Othewise find a thin, very light/flexible USB cable.

The idea is to do the mapping on location! I have lots of gps recorders,
I usually carry at least 3 on any trip I make. :-)

So, like I said, find a light, thin flexible USB cable. No big deal. Or
wait for the bluetooth version (that might also have other sat systems).

Alan, why do you suppose that I (and many other orienteering mappers)
haven't already tried this?

Any such cable can and will get twisted as you turn the tablet around,
it can and will snag on branches unless you thread the cable on the
inside of your jacket and behind your ear, at which point it becomes
very hard to momentarily leave the tablet on top of a boulder or tree stump.

I.e. bluetooth (or some other wireless connection) is a requirement. :-)

- Terje.Mathisen at