Old March 27th 16, 02:17 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Richard Owlett[_3_]

Default Linux CLI program to output simple maps

On 3/26/2016 4:44 PM, Alan Browne who may wish to have
"Everything that can be invented has been invented." attributed
On 2016-03-26 14:54, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Alan Browne
writes:

The result (the PNG after convert(1)):
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/pics/fatu-hiva.png
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/pics/fatu-hiva.ps
Still, not much of a map tho... I'll have to figure
out how to add the villages... and mountains... and
moais... and aku-akus! But it is possible, just
like I knew that it would be!

,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Is much better.

as is

https://www.openstreetmap.org/direct...4972/-138.6631

Day one is not about comparing quality to others who
have spent years on their work.

One doesn't waste time on things solved (and usually better so)
by others.

But has the *RELEVANT* problem been solved?
I would think that it can be taken as FACT that neither Google
nor OSM were found satisfactory by Mr. Berg. This interpretation
is supported by him expending time and effort pursuing
suggestions others have made.

I suspect the phrasing of his chosen subject line, "Linux CLI
program to output simple maps" is significant. I find the use of
"CLI" and "simple" significant.

Google and OSM interfaces are as about as Gooey as they come (pun
intended
I don't what metric he has in mind for "simple".

When he got no response on a Linux group, I suggested posting
here as likely having more people interested in cartography, a
field for which my extensive knowledge approaches the null set.

I didn't refer him to the plethora of "how to ask a question"
sites as I couldn't think of relevant questions he should be
answering.

I think there are two questions we should ask him.
1. Why did he explicitly ask foe a "CLI program"?
2. The possibly more subtle question is "What does simple mean TO
HIM?"

Day one is getting your foot thru the door to see if

loopy fantasy talk deleted

You're wasting your time. I have nothing against using or making
my own tools. Indeed I write all sorts of s/w for my needs
(personal and business), but only because it is unique to my
needs. I don't re-invent what has already been done. That is
wasteful.

Careful, I suspect you just agreed with him, motivation wise