Old July 18th 16, 05:14 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Stichting ST

Default Google to provide raw GPS measurements

On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 16:53:15 +0200, Terje Mathisen
wrote:

wrote:
An article in the July 2016 GPS World magazine states that raw GPS
measurements will be available to apps in the Android N operating
system, which will be released later this year. This means you can
get pseudoranges, doppplers, and carrier phase from a phone or
tablet!

That is extremely interesting, it would seem to make it possible to use
any pair of Android N devices as a base+rover setup for cm (or least
sub-sub-meter) resolution measurements. (The lack of a proper antenna
will probably be the real limiter.)

With an app which stores all the raw data you should also be able to do
post-processing with a single device plus some reference station data.

Terje

Sure that is very nice if it becomes real.
Many years ago I used an Garmin GPS12 (can output raw data) that with RINEX
conversion gave me with postprocessing and an hour measurement a 95% position
accuracy of 40 cm. (basestation placed 15 km distance)
But remember: on a single wavelenth you do not know the ionosferic delay so cm
accuracy can not be reached. The problem of the unknown positon of the
faze-point of the antenna is secundair.

Piet