Old September 29th 16, 01:26 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav

Default Puzzling change in trackpoint rate

On 2016-09-28 04:40, Terry Pinnell wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

(BTW, no altimeter on the iPhone.)

Yes, there definitely is an altimeter on the iPhone 6S+. And various
apps read it. And the Health App should be able to estimate your climbing.

You're right, of course, what I meant to say was no altimeter used by
the iPhone GPS apps I use, Memory Map and Pocket Earth.

You can run several apps at once. As long as they work in BG, there's
probably something that can record the altitude profile. I use a
separate GPS (photologger) and it has altitude (GPS) as well as position
and so on.

I like the hat idea, although I suspect I'd quickly lose my iPhone!
Used to have my ancient Garmin strapped to my rucksack, so maybe I'll
try that again.

As high up as possible.

FWIW, here's a screenshot of the GPS record of a short walk yesterday,

No link.

opened in GE. My iPhone was in a shoulder pocket. I'm guessing that
the great variation in the density of the trackpoints depends on how
open or wooded it is. There were no fewer than 2,166 points recorded
in this 4.3 mile walk.

That's a point for every 3 metres of travel or about every 2 seconds at
a good walking speed.

--
She hummed to herself because she was an unrivaled botcher of lyrics.
-Nick (Gone Girl), Gillian Flynn.