Better than 30m accuracy for both indoor and outdoor positioningwith cellular positioning.

Old October 19th 09, 08:36 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Johnson[_2_]

Default Better than 30m accuracy for both indoor and outdoor positioningwith cellular positioning.

GloPos has announced its software-only positioning technology that makes
all mobile phones location-aware - outdoors, indoors and even
underground. They have achieved better than 30m accuracy for both indoor
and outdoor positioning with cellular positioning, and almost ready for
commercial.
http://www.glopos.com/

To me it just sounds too good to be true, since I think the current
generation of cellular network has no such capability. If they can do
it, there will be no need to integrate GPS into the consumer electronics
any more. I am not sure it is a marketing ploy.

Does anybody know more?

Thanks.

Johnson
Old October 19th 09, 10:58 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
PeterD

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 14:36:40 -0600, Johnson
wrote:

...software-only positioning technology ... even
underground. ... better than 30m accuracy for both indoor
and outdoor

Underground, that would be a neat trick. Makes the credibility of any
of the claims suspect...
Old October 19th 09, 11:49 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Chull13

And it still would not replace GPS as there are Way Too Many places
with no cell reception at all, not to mention the over all crapy cell
reception in many more areas. But it could be a nice supplement - but
as pointed out seems t be bogus. Like those books and movies where
they use GPS in the Sewers of NYC or Seattle!!

Old October 20th 09, 01:31 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
PeterD

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 16:49:21 -0700 (PDT), Chull13
wrote:

And it still would not replace GPS as there are Way Too Many places
with no cell reception at all, not to mention the over all crapy cell
reception in many more areas. But it could be a nice supplement - but
as pointed out seems t be bogus. Like those books and movies where
they use GPS in the Sewers of NYC or Seattle!!

Why, just the other day in my hole to China I used my GPS to figure
out how far it was to Peking... Problem! How do I figure out which
route it used for the computation?

Old October 20th 09, 01:52 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Dennis Mayer

wrote:

And it still would not replace GPS as there are Way Too Many places
with no cell reception at all, not to mention the over all crapy cell
reception in many more areas. But it could be a nice supplement - but
as pointed out seems t be bogus. Like those books and movies where
they use GPS in the Sewers of NYC or Seattle!!

Why, just the other day in my hole to China I used my GPS to figure
out how far it was to Peking... Problem! How do I figure out which
route it used for the computation?

I'll bet the great circle Route at ground level.
Old October 20th 09, 05:22 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Beartooth[_3_]

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 14:36:40 -0600, Johnson wrote:

GloPos has announced its software-only positioning technology that makes
all mobile phones location-aware - outdoors, indoors and even
underground. They have achieved better than 30m accuracy for both indoor
and outdoor positioning with cellular positioning, and almost ready for
commercial.
http://www.glopos.com/

To me it just sounds too good to be true, since I think the current
generation of cellular network has no such capability. If they can do
it, there will be no need to integrate GPS into the consumer electronics
any more. I am not sure it is a marketing ploy.

Does anybody know more?

It has been possible for years out of mind both to use a cell
phone, and to get a laptop online, while riding MetroRail in Greater
Babylon on Potomac. The tunnels are wired up to make it possible.

Anyone forgetting (or perhaps not knowing) both halves of that
might imagine underground to be underground, e basta!