Calculating Horizontal Accuracy from NMEA strings

Old October 26th 09, 08:43 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
e_correspondence

Default Calculating Horizontal Accuracy from NMEA strings

All-

Is it possible to calculate in realtime the horizontal accuracy (+/-
meters) of GPS positions from the NMEA strings? If so, it there a
formula or any guidance online that will help me calculate this?

I'm helping to write an application that would require the horizontal
accuracy from a GPS reciever to be display on a GUI.

Thanks in advance.
Old October 26th 09, 09:57 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
HIPAR

On Oct 26, 4:43*pm, e_correspondence wrote:
All-

Is it possible to calculate in realtime the horizontal accuracy (+/-
meters) of GPS positions from the NMEA strings? If so, it there a
formula or any guidance online that will help me calculate this?

I'm helping to write an application that would require the horizontal
accuracy from a GPS reciever to be display on a GUI.

Thanks in advance.

Some Garmin receivers transmit the error estimate in a proprietary
NMEA sentence.

Estimated Error Information (PGRME):

$PGRME,1,M,2,M,3,M*hhCRLF
1 Estimated horizontal position error (HPE), 0.0 to 999.9 meters
2 Estimated vertical position error (VPE), 0.0 to 999.9 meters
3 Estimated position error (EPE), 0.0 to 999.9 meters

I've seen reference other NMEA sentences that might be helpful but I
have never seen them on consumer grade receivers.

--- CHAS