BlackBerry Curve 8900 Phone,

Old November 2nd 09, 12:11 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Nicholas[_2_]

Default BlackBerry Curve 8900 Phone,

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 00:42:25 GMT, Sam Wormley
wrote:

You HAVE to have internet service/availability to use this nav
feature? Forget about it. I'll take my signals from the satellites.
This, =IMO= is a cutsey feature and fine if you're IN RANGE for a 3G
connection, but if you are rural, it's going to let you down when you
need it most (no Inet signal). I don't trust it right off the bat.

Lg

The GPS chips in smart phone still get their signals from the
satellites. They can use, but are not required to get, ephemeris
data through cellular links... and they can use updated mapping
via the cellular or WiFi links.

:-)

If drivers want to know what things look like outside their window,
then I propose they should look out their window, instead of at a
cluttered hard to see outdated photo of the way things -used- to be on
a little washed out screen.

This is a bad business/marketing decision, and will go the way of the
Pet Rock. Here today, gone tomorrow, and back to maps, which have
served humanity for time immemorial.

Situational awareness must come from outside the vehicle, via the
windows, not by way of schlock photos taken who knows when or how long
ago. At best, it's a gimmick. At worst, a distracting road hazard
that is going to take attention away from where it should be.

One shouldn't have to process fractal geometry in order to figure out
which way to turn at an intersection. A line and an arrow will do.

Lg

Old November 2nd 09, 12:29 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Nicholas[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Back to the map and compass. ;-)

Indeed. After taking local declination into account, I will gladly
transfer a bearing from gpsr to compass. Then again, I don't even
have to take Mag Var into account if I set the gpsr to display
Magnetic North and reference to it.

If you're lost in the city, do you really need to see all that steel
and concrete depicted on a diminutive display? How about a simple
instruction like "Turn right in 500 feet"

Lg

Old November 2nd 09, 07:09 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Alan White

On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 19:29:30 -0600, Nicholas
wrote:

If you're lost in the city, do you really need to see all that steel
and concrete depicted on a diminutive display? How about a simple
instruction like "Turn right in 500 feet"

Which is why I love my Garmin Quest.
--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.
Old November 2nd 09, 11:14 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Nicholas[_2_]

wrote:

If you're lost in the city, do you really need to see all that steel
and concrete depicted on a diminutive display? How about a simple
instruction like "Turn right in 500 feet"

Which is why I love my Garmin Quest.

Yes, that's the idea. There are already too many motorway accidents
without adding distractions to those that already exist. Most of the
time when I travel I just take the verbal cues. When I come up on a
tight intersection, I'll spend a few seconds at most verifying a turn
on the graphics (map). A guidance system needs to be kept simple at
the user interface at least for motorway use. That's my thesis, and
the Prosecution rests its' case ;-0

Lg