BlackBerry Curve 8900 Phone,

Old October 30th 09, 03:19 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Mr.mobile

Default BlackBerry Curve 8900 Phone,

Hello everyone
I'm new here

I need a gift for my son.
Does anyone have information on this device?

http://astore.amazon.com/ms062-20/detail/B002AKKJWM

Thanks for your help
Old October 30th 09, 04:17 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Sam Wormley

Mr.mobile wrote:
Hello everyone
I'm new here

I need a gift for my son.
Does anyone have information on this device?

http://astore.amazon.com/ms062-20/detail/B002AKKJWM

Thanks for your help

Relevant:
http://www.google.com/mobile/navigat...tion&dc=gh0smm
Old October 30th 09, 04:35 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Sam Wormley

Mr.mobile wrote:
Hello everyone
I'm new here

I need a gift for my son.
Does anyone have information on this device?

http://astore.amazon.com/ms062-20/detail/B002AKKJWM

Thanks for your help

Better:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/g...ui-to-android/
Old October 30th 09, 10:19 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Nicholas[_2_]

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 08:19:56 -0700 (PDT), "Mr.mobile"
wrote:

Hello everyone
I'm new here

I need a gift for my son.
Does anyone have information on this device?

http://astore.amazon.com/ms062-20/detail/B002AKKJWM

Thanks for your help

Yes...everything you need to know about it can be found at
http://astore.amazon.com/ms062-20/detail/B002AKKJWM

Best Regards,

Lg

Old October 30th 09, 10:32 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Nicholas[_2_]

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 16:35:17 GMT, Sam Wormley
wrote:

Mr.mobile wrote:
Hello everyone
I'm new here

I need a gift for my son.
Does anyone have information on this device?

http://astore.amazon.com/ms062-20/detail/B002AKKJWM

Thanks for your help

Better:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/g...ui-to-android/

You HAVE to have internet service/availability to use this nav
feature? Forget about it. I'll take my signals from the satellites.
This, =IMO= is a cutsey feature and fine if you're IN RANGE for a 3G
connection, but if you are rural, it's going to let you down when you
need it most (no Inet signal). I don't trust it right off the bat.

Lg

Old October 31st 09, 12:01 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
[email protected]

Nicholas wrote:
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 16:35:17 GMT, Sam Wormley
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/g...ui-to-android/

You HAVE to have internet service/availability to use this nav
feature? Forget about it. I'll take my signals from the satellites.

I have Google Maps on a Blackberry. Very nice, more up to date than my
purchased once, never upgraded, Mapsource and Garmin City Select.

The Google Maps app was just updated a couple of days ago, and now offers
better functionality in features that I like.

All the real keys on my BBerry make it easier to search than Garmin, not
even considering the brain dead UI that Mapsource uses _with_ a full
keyboard, and is worse on the GPS rocker-thingy.

I can go to my contacts directory and select "show on Google Maps" if there
is an address in the entry.

But...
I am surprised at the number of places where there is no cellular coverage,
and how much battery drain is caused by the mapping updates.

So, I wind up using my BBerry when it works, and have the GPS anyway,
and I can use waypoints, routes and tracks on the GPS.

And, lacking any satellite signal at all, I can still do lookups of
businesses and review maps and directions on the pre-loaded GPS.

Old October 31st 09, 02:28 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Rick

wrote:

Mr.mobile wrote:
Hello everyone
I'm new here

I need a gift for my son.
Does anyone have information on this device?

http://astore.amazon.com/ms062-20/detail/B002AKKJWM

Thanks for your help

Better:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/g...ui-to-android/

You HAVE to have internet service/availability to use this nav
feature? Forget about it. I'll take my signals from the satellites.
This, =IMO= is a cutsey feature and fine if you're IN RANGE for a 3G
connection, but if you are rural, it's going to let you down when you
need it most (no Inet signal). I don't trust it right off the bat.

Lg

That is why I use Verizon--works almost everywhere

--

Rick
Fargo, ND

Remember the USS Liberty
http://www.ussliberty.org/

Old October 31st 09, 03:57 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Nicholas[_2_]

wrote:

Mr.mobile wrote:
Hello everyone
I'm new here

I need a gift for my son.
Does anyone have information on this device?

http://astore.amazon.com/ms062-20/detail/B002AKKJWM

Thanks for your help
Better:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/g...ui-to-android/

You HAVE to have internet service/availability to use this nav
feature? Forget about it. I'll take my signals from the satellites.
This, =IMO= is a cutsey feature and fine if you're IN RANGE for a 3G
connection, but if you are rural, it's going to let you down when you
need it most (no Inet signal). I don't trust it right off the bat.

Lg

That is why I use Verizon--works almost everywhere

Depending on your Terms of Service with you phone and Inet provider, I
can see a large monthly bill to go along with the Android. Why pay
Connect Minutes for something you can get for FREE (without photos)?
That doesn't depend on cell towers to work? My maps have to be as
good as the photos: Navtek and TeleAtlas. I'll take the maps
(seamlessly integrated). Each to his/her own.

Lg

Old October 31st 09, 06:10 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
[email protected]

Rick wrote:
That is why I use Verizon--works almost everywhere

You've been looking at their coverage maps, haven't you?

It's drawn with a very nice graphics program, showing perfect digital
coverage throughout the mountainous terrain around here.

The AT&T map shows gradients that my experience shows are very true, even a
little conservative.

If the AT&T map says a spot has coverage, it does. If the Verizon map says
it has digital coverage, there probably is coverage somewhere within a mile
or two of that spot, but not necessarily the spot you want.

Search these two maps for 17098 Hwy 175, Middletown, CA, 95461
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/C...atorController
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer
One is very pretty, the other, realistic.

My GPS coverage is spotty in this area, too, because of the tall trees, but
the map is still there on the GPS.

Old November 2nd 09, 12:22 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Rick

wrote:
Rick wrote:
That is why I use Verizon--works almost everywhere

You've been looking at their coverage maps, haven't you?

It's drawn with a very nice graphics program, showing perfect digital
coverage throughout the mountainous terrain around here.

The AT&T map shows gradients that my experience shows are very true, even a
little conservative.

If the AT&T map says a spot has coverage, it does. If the Verizon map says
it has digital coverage, there probably is coverage somewhere within a mile
or two of that spot, but not necessarily the spot you want.

Search these two maps for 17098 Hwy 175, Middletown, CA, 95461
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/C...atorController
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer
One is very pretty, the other, realistic.

My GPS coverage is spotty in this area, too, because of the tall trees, but
the map is still there on the GPS.

I work in rural ND and I can tell you AT&T does not work everywhere. I
have never had problems with Verizon anyplace and my son who is an over
the road trucker moved from AT&T to Verizon for the same reason--no
problem connecting anywhere.
I do not care what maps show--I care what works when I need it. AT&T
simply does not as good coverage as Verizon
--

Rick
Fargo, ND

Remember the USS Liberty