Junk Off Topic Posts

Old November 1st 09, 12:15 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Oliver Fleming

Default Junk Off Topic Posts

Hello,
It seems time we had a moderator for this group. All these advertising
for rubbish is a waste of time and bandwidth.

I am usually not in favour of regulation, however these advertisments
for junk are getting out of hand.

Any takers or suggestions?

Cheers
Oliver Fleming

Old November 1st 09, 12:22 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Nicholas[_2_]

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 11:15:38 +1000, "Oliver Fleming"
wrote:

Hello,
It seems time we had a moderator for this group. All these advertising
for rubbish is a waste of time and bandwidth.

I am usually not in favour of regulation, however these advertisments
for junk are getting out of hand.

Any takers or suggestions?

Cheers
Oliver Fleming

I don't see any advertisements in this n/g. Can you post a sample so
I can see what you're getting?

Lg

Old November 1st 09, 01:13 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Nicholas[_2_]

On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 01:54:05 GMT, Sam Wormley
wrote:

Oliver Fleming wrote:
Hello,
It seems time we had a moderator for this group. All these advertising
for rubbish is a waste of time and bandwidth.

I am usually not in favour of regulation, however these advertisments
for junk are getting out of hand.

Any takers or suggestions?

Cheers
Oliver Fleming

Not much of anything here anymore. See:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.g...lite-nav/about

As GPS moves from handhelds to smart phones, it may become
even less. General decline in USENET all the way around. :-(

I used to be heavily involved in FILM, as in cinema and stills. Now,
I still do cinema and stills but _without_ film. No more chemicals,
no more darkroom, it's all computerized from the camera to the final
print if I choose to make a print.

How I used to slave with those rotten chemicals ... I think I still
have a lingering stench of hypo (sodium thiosulfate) in my nostrils.

Now? A new technology has obsoleted EVERYTHING I ever knew about
photography and cinema at the chemical level. Gone for good, and in a
way, good riddance to it.

The kicker is, I paid years of my time and money to learn the
profession, and now anyone can buy a point and shoot and get a
satisfactory result. Is this good? I can't say if it is good or bad,
but it is progress.

Many things that used to be esoteric have become commodities in the
hands of the common man.

Were you a sculptor, or a tool and die maker, or a mold maker, CAD/CAM
has taken away the *skill* required to turn out a perfect replica.
We're becoming a world of button pushers.

This is why the unemployment level is so high in the USA. We've built
machines that can do better work than we can by hand. They don't ever
complain, only sometimes get sick, and never take a holiday.

Lg

Old November 1st 09, 06:51 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Bitstring , from the
wonderful person Oliver Fleming said
Hello,
It seems time we had a moderator for this group. All these advertising
for rubbish is a waste of time and bandwidth.

I am usually not in favour of regulation, however these advertisments
for junk are getting out of hand.

Any takers or suggestions?

Get your usenet news via an NNTP server who filters it.
news.individual.net does a good job for one lousy Euro a month.

The way Usenet works (asynchronous, multiple collaborating news servers)
there is no way you can regulate or moderate (unless the group started
life as moderated, and even those are not immune from injected spam),
and you can't even be sure anyone else is seeing what you do.

This looks like a pretty clean group to me, but (apart from using N.I.N.
as my supplier) I already killfile anything cross-posted to multiple
groups, or anything originating from the google spam sewer.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
15,621 Km walked. 2,882 Km PROWs surveyed. 52.1% complete.
Old November 1st 09, 01:57 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Bitstring [email protected]_s21, from the wonderful person
Sam Wormley said
GSV Three Minds in a Can wrote:

Get your usenet news via an NNTP server who filters it.
news.individual.net does a good job for one lousy Euro a month.

All USENET news uses the Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP)

True

No filtering.

False - ISPs can filter what goes in to their servers anyway they like.

Individual ISPs (operating NNTP servers) may do
filtering by newsgroup category.

news.individual.net runs a filtered NNTP server, using cleanfeeds, and
manually killing many articles as well.

They also don't support binaries, nor some of the obscurer bits of the
hierarchy.

For example ATT is no longer
supporting binary newsgroups.

OK, for brevity I used 'server' to cover the ISP and the NNTP system
they operate; I assume you'd know enough to figure it out.

Old November 1st 09, 02:28 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Bert Hyman

In "Oliver Fleming"
wrote:

Any takers or suggestions?

1. Start using a news client with a killfile or filter mechanism, or
learn to use the one you have.

2. Subscribe to a news provider which does the filtering for you.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old November 1st 09, 03:12 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Nicholas[_2_]

wrote:

Oliver Fleming wrote:
[...]

Hi Larry--I too, did the darkroom work until about 4 years ago. Switched
cold turkey from F-1n film cameras to EOS 5D (now 5D2) and lenses to
match. Not breathing the chemicals was like a rebirth of photographic
productivity for me.
http://64.62.179.224/index.html

Very nice work indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Lg

Old November 1st 09, 07:24 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Derek Lyons

Nicholas wrote:

The kicker is, I paid years of my time and money to learn the
profession, and now anyone can buy a point and shoot and get a
satisfactory result. Is this good? I can't say if it is good or bad,
but it is progress.

From visiting Flickr and other online photodepositories, I can say I
view this as false. I can easily pick out who has the 'eye' and is a
skilled photographer and who doesn't.

Many things that used to be esoteric have become commodities in the
hands of the common man.

In theory. In practice, not so much.

Were you a sculptor, or a tool and die maker, or a mold maker, CAD/CAM
has taken away the *skill* required to turn out a perfect replica.
We're becoming a world of button pushers.

CAD/CAM only works if the guy who runs the CAD end knows what he's
doing. We need fewer skilled people certainly, but the absolute
demand has not vanished - only shifted to different fields.

This is why the unemployment level is so high in the USA. We've built
machines that can do better work than we can by hand. They don't ever
complain, only sometimes get sick, and never take a holiday.

Part of it is also because we've become a nation that concentrates on
price while ignoring costs - and much more accepting of work that is
'good enough'. If a business can pay a $11.00/hour temp or secretary
to produce a crappy 'newsletter' in Word or Publisher, they settle for
that over the cost of paying a professional.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old November 1st 09, 10:08 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht[_8_]

Sam Wormley writes:
All USENET news uses the Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP)
No filtering. Individual ISPs (operating NNTP servers) may do
filtering by newsgroup category. For example ATT is no longer
supporting binary newsgroups.

That is the problem in a nutshell -- NNTP (and SMTP) have no real
verification of the "From: " address. Any filtering that is done by
individual sites is very ad-hoc and long after the fact.

Personally, I'd welcome a change that requires cryptographically signed
messages and headers where signatures that aren't generated by the true
owner of the email address are junked. My feeling is we'd see a lot
less spam if spammers got one shot at spam before the account was closed
and ISP's that allowed revolving door spam accounts were shunned.

(My proposal would be to have the mail server owning the email address
also server up a public RSA key for each email address upon request.
That way any email or news message could be checked for authenticity
with respect to actually being posted by the owner of the claimed email
account.)

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
Old November 1st 09, 11:28 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Marvin Hlavac

Not much of anything here anymore. See:
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.g...lite-nav/about

As GPS moves from handhelds to smart phones, it may become
even less. General decline in USENET all the way around. :-(

Hi Sam,

Handhelds, smart phones, that all sounds way too high tech. I still use my
good old laptop for navigation, LOL. And for some odd reason the visitor
traffic at Laptop GPS World, the site that focuses only on this "old style"
navigation, keeps increasing almost every month. In two years it has grown
from zero to 80k monthly unique visitors. I have no idea why :-)

--
Marvin Hlavac
Laptop GPS World