Looking for a GPS Antenna Switch

Old May 5th 10, 09:55 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Johnson[_2_]

Default Looking for a GPS Antenna Switch

I would like to test two GPS antenna with one same GPS receiver. It is
really inconvenient to switch the antenna back and forth manually, since
my computer is not close to the test lab, and I can only run my software
in my computer, and the GPS receiver at the lab. I can't bring my
computer to the lab, or install my software to a test computer at the lab.

Is there any RF GPS Antenna awitch available, that I can switch the
antenna remotely from my computer? I wish there is a product that can
support 2 or more GPS inputs (from antenna), and one GPS output (to GPS
receiver), and a USB or Ethernet connection (to a test computer at lab)
to receive the commands from a remote computer.

Thanks.

Johnson

Old May 5th 10, 11:32 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav

On 10-05-05 16:55 , Johnson wrote:
I would like to test two GPS antenna with one same GPS receiver. It is
really inconvenient to switch the antenna back and forth manually, since
my computer is not close to the test lab, and I can only run my software
in my computer, and the GPS receiver at the lab. I can't bring my
computer to the lab, or install my software to a test computer at the lab.

Is there any RF GPS Antenna awitch available, that I can switch the
antenna remotely from my computer? I wish there is a product that can
support 2 or more GPS inputs (from antenna), and one GPS output (to GPS
receiver), and a USB or Ethernet connection (to a test computer at lab)
to receive the commands from a remote computer.

There are command-able RF switches. They are likely very expensive.

Search on 1.5 GHz switches

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old May 10th 10, 09:43 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
SamSvL

On May 5, 10:55*pm, Johnson wrote:
I would like to test two GPS antenna with one same GPS receiver. It is
really inconvenient to switch the antenna back and forth manually, since
my computer is not close to the test lab, and I can only run my software
in my computer, and the GPS receiver at the lab. I can't bring my
computer to the lab, or install my software to a test computer at the lab..

Is there any RF GPS Antenna awitch available, that I can switch the
antenna remotely from my computer? I wish there is a product that can
support 2 or more GPS inputs (from antenna), and one GPS output (to GPS
receiver), and a USB or Ethernet connection (to a test computer at lab)
to receive the commands from a remote computer.

Thanks.

Johnson

You would require an RF power divider, such as a Wilkinson splitter.
Very rude (but it works) splitter on my site at:
http://home-2.worldonline.nl/~samsvl/splitter.htm

Sam
Old May 10th 10, 05:22 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Johnson[_2_]

Alan Browne wrote:
On 10-05-05 16:55 , Johnson wrote:
I would like to test two GPS antenna with one same GPS receiver. It is
really inconvenient to switch the antenna back and forth manually, since
my computer is not close to the test lab, and I can only run my software
in my computer, and the GPS receiver at the lab. I can't bring my
computer to the lab, or install my software to a test computer at the
lab.

Is there any RF GPS Antenna awitch available, that I can switch the
antenna remotely from my computer? I wish there is a product that can
support 2 or more GPS inputs (from antenna), and one GPS output (to GPS
receiver), and a USB or Ethernet connection (to a test computer at lab)
to receive the commands from a remote computer.

There are command-able RF switches. They are likely very expensive.

Search on 1.5 GHz switches

I haven't been able to find out a command-able RF switch yet. However, I
believe it is the way to go. Thanks!

Old May 10th 10, 05:22 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Johnson[_2_]

samsvl wrote:
[...]

Isn't it cute? Thanks.

Old May 10th 10, 05:34 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Jeff[_3_]

Johnson wrote:
samsvl wrote:
[...]

A splitter is NOT what he wants, he wishes to compare the performance of
different antennas, and be able to switch between antennas remotely.

There are plenty of electronically controlled RF switches out there, but
I must admit that I have never seen a USB or ethernet one. HPIB is fine
as is TTL levels, so he might have to do a bit of interfacing.

Regards]

Jeff
Old May 11th 10, 12:23 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav

On 10-05-10 4:43 , samsvl wrote:
On May 5, 10:55 pm, wrote:
[...]

No. He needs a switch.

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old November 13th 13, 05:38 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
[email protected]

I am late to the game - but we have an antenna switch specifically made for the GPS spectrum. You can switch the antennas manually (remotely) if that is your goal. Because of the Mil Spec properties, it is expensive. But this is something the market wants!

Go to the GPS Source website and look up splitters - http://www.gpssource.com/products/gps-splitter/227

Call with questions!

Randy Meyer