Broadcom Offers GNSS Location Chip with BeiDou Support

Old December 10th 13, 09:02 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Sam Wormley[_2_]

Default Broadcom Offers GNSS Location Chip with BeiDou Support

Broadcom Offers GNSS Location Chip with BeiDou Support
http://gpsworld.com/broadcom-offers-...eidou-support/

Broadcom Corporation has introduced the BCM47531, a GNSS chip that
generates positioning data from five satellite constellations
simultaneously GPS, GLONASS, QZSS, SBAS and BeiDou. The newly added
BeiDou constellation increases the number of satellites available to
a smartphone, enhancing navigation accuracy, particularly in urban
settings where buildings and obstructions can affect performance.

Old December 11th 13, 01:20 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
miso

On 12/10/2013 1:02 PM, Sam Wormley wrote:
Broadcom Offers GNSS Location Chip with BeiDou Support
http://gpsworld.com/broadcom-offers-...eidou-support/

Broadcom Corporation has introduced the BCM47531, a GNSS chip that
generates positioning data from five satellite constellations
simultaneously GPS, GLONASS, QZSS, SBAS and BeiDou. The newly added
BeiDou constellation increases the number of satellites available to
a smartphone, enhancing navigation accuracy, particularly in urban
settings where buildings and obstructions can affect performance.

Ya know, if I had my druthers between receiving more flavors of GPS type
signals and lower power, I'd go for lower power. I'm assuming with SDR
type designs, the extra flavors don't cost too much to add to the chip.

I tend to leave the GPS off. It seems pointless to have a tracking
beacon that accurate in your pocket if you aren't using the GPS. I've
done this before the summer of Snowden which is now turning into the
winter of Snowden.

BB10 has three ways to use the GPS. Besides on and off, you have on with
a browser lock. So you can use apps that need the GPS without the
browser giving away your location. Also any app can have location
information denied.