Interchangeability Accomplished

Old July 2nd 14, 10:04 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Sam Wormley[_2_]

Default Interchangeability Accomplished

Interchangeability Accomplished
http://gpsworld.com/interchangeability-accomplished/

Tri-Band Multi-Constellation GNSS in Smartphones and Tablets

This article presents a single-chip
BeiDou/Galileo/GLONASS/GPS/QZSS/SBAS architecture for use in cell
phones and tablets. The authors explain the advantages to end users
of multiple constellations. They also examine the details of system
interchangeability, multi-system issues, and how assisted-GNSS data
operates with all constellations, including BeiDou.

Old July 3rd 14, 12:36 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav

On 2014.07.02, 18:04 , Sam Wormley wrote:
Interchangeability Accomplished
http://gpsworld.com/interchangeability-accomplished/

Tri-Band Multi-Constellation GNSS in Smartphones and Tablets

This article presents a single-chip
BeiDou/Galileo/GLONASS/GPS/QZSS/SBAS architecture for use in cell
phones and tablets. The authors explain the advantages to end users
of multiple constellations. They also examine the details of system
interchangeability, multi-system issues, and how assisted-GNSS data
operates with all constellations, including BeiDou.

Interesting article. I'm not sure where the 'group delay' comes from (a
quirk of the chip design?). But the mishmash of time bases, leap
seconds, etc. makes it interesting.

It would have been nice if the article discussed multipath rejection
techniques a little more. For example do they use a RAIM like algorithm
to reject those signals (PR's) that don't fit the best solution?

The article is a little selfserving for Broadcomm.

--
I was born a 1%er - I'm just more equal than the rest.

Old July 19th 14, 03:15 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Joop[_4_]

On 3-7-2014 14:36, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2014.07.02, 18:04 , Sam Wormley wrote:
Interchangeability Accomplished
http://gpsworld.com/interchangeability-accomplished/

Tri-Band Multi-Constellation GNSS in Smartphones and Tablets

Any smartphones already equipped with this BCM47531 multistandard chip?

Old July 19th 14, 03:38 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Joop[_4_]

On 19-7-2014 17:15, Joop wrote:
On 3-7-2014 14:36, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2014.07.02, 18:04 , Sam Wormley wrote:
Interchangeability Accomplished
http://gpsworld.com/interchangeability-accomplished/

Tri-Band Multi-Constellation GNSS in Smartphones and Tablets

Any smartphones already equipped with this BCM47531 multistandard chip?

To answer my own question: the galaxy S5 has this chip integrated.
http://www.techinsights.com/teardown...y-S5-teardown/

Old July 19th 14, 05:48 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Terje Mathisen[_3_]

"Joop " wrote:
On 19-7-2014 17:15, Joop wrote:
On 3-7-2014 14:36, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2014.07.02, 18:04 , Sam Wormley wrote:
Interchangeability Accomplished
http://gpsworld.com/interchangeability-accomplished/

Tri-Band Multi-Constellation GNSS in Smartphones and Tablets

Any smartphones already equipped with this BCM47531 multistandard chip?

To answer my own question: the galaxy S5 has this chip integrated.
http://www.techinsights.com/teardown...y-S5-teardown/

Nice!

I've had an S5 for a few months, I've noticed that it had a combined
GPS/Glonass chipset which seemed very good at picking up lots of sats,
even when indoors, but I didn't realize that it had the very latest
tri-band tech.

I just timed it:

Sitting inside, a couple of meters from a north-facing window, it took
about 10-15 seconds to find and lock on to all 21 visible sats.
:-)

Terje

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
Old July 20th 14, 12:49 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav

On 2014.07.19, 13:48 , Terje Mathisen wrote:
"Joop " wrote:
On 19-7-2014 17:15, Joop wrote:
[...]

Impressive!

--
I was born a 1%er - I'm just more equal than the rest.