DIY GPS Tracking

Old September 13th 14, 08:49 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Meanie[_2_]

Default DIY GPS Tracking

Would like to make my own tracking device with real time updates and
without having to pay monthly fees when buying a device.

Can someone offer suggestions how to begin such a project?

Thank you
Old September 13th 14, 08:51 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Meanie[_2_]

On 9/13/2014 3:49 PM, Meanie wrote:

I should probably specify I'm seeking a fairly simple method if possible.

Thank you
Old September 13th 14, 09:06 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Mike Coon[_3_]

On 13/09/2014 20:49, Meanie wrote:
Would like to make my own tracking device with real time updates and
without having to pay monthly fees when buying a device.

Can someone offer suggestions how to begin such a project?

Thank you

Buy a smartphone with GPS on a PAYG deal?

Mike.
Old September 13th 14, 11:23 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav

On 2014.09.13, 15:49 , Meanie wrote:
Would like to make my own tracking device with real time updates and
without having to pay monthly fees when buying a device.

There are no monthly fees to use the GPS signal.

Can someone offer suggestions how to begin such a project?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_GNSS_receiver

http://www.aholme.co.uk/GPS/Main.htm

etc. eg: Google is friendlier than we are...

--
I was born a 1%er - I'm just more equal than the rest.

Old September 14th 14, 05:59 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
isw

In article , Meanie
wrote:

Would like to make my own tracking device with real time updates and
without having to pay monthly fees when buying a device.

Can someone offer suggestions how to begin such a project?

Check this out:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gpsmid/

It lets you use OSM maps with a generic GPS receiver to have a real-time
location display on any cell phone that can run Java. The map is stored
on the phone, so there are no data charges of any sort. I've been using
it for years.

And this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/microemulator/

Is a Java-based cellphone emulator that you can use to run the midlet
created by gpsmid on any computer that supports Java (although I've
never been able to get microemulator to hook to a USB- or
Bluetooth-connected GPS receiver).

Isaac
Old September 14th 14, 08:44 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Mike Coon[_3_]

On 13/09/2014 20:51, Meanie wrote:
On 9/13/2014 3:49 PM, Meanie wrote:

I should probably specify I'm seeking a fairly simple method if possible.

What do you want this "tracking device" to do for you?

Mike.

Old September 23rd 14, 05:15 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Michael Black[_2_]

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014, Mike Coon wrote:

On 13/09/2014 20:51, Meanie wrote:
On 9/13/2014 3:49 PM, Meanie wrote:

I should probably specify I'm seeking a fairly simple method if possible.

What do you want this "tracking device" to do for you?

I read it as "something to magnetically stick to a car, and sends back
information about its location".

In other words, a modern day equivalent of sticking a transmitter on a
car, and tracking it by using a directional antenna and a receiver.

If you can send the GPS coordinates of the car, you don't have to fuss
with directional antennas or whether the car is in front of you or behind
you (since the system can't tell you that; you need a second tracking
device in another car, or you have to move the car while the tracked car
stays in the same place).

Michael