Can I use my iPad to geolocate to a point without having cellular?

Old October 11th 14, 11:48 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Erilar

Default Can I use my iPad to geolocate to a point without having cellular?

Jim Pierson wrote:
On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 18:54:40 +0000, Patty Winter wrote:

If you want something that will route you via roads or trails, you need
an app that's designed for that.

I'm trying to find a specific point in rough terrain where there is
absolutely no path. I will be doing that tomorrow with friends.

My cell phone battery dies too soon, so I want to use the iPad.

All I need to do is KNOW which direction the one objective is, and how
far away, at any one time.

I think geocachers do this all the time ... don't they?
Do none of them use free apps on the iPad?

Topo maps could probably help you then.
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old October 12th 14, 10:24 AM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 11/10/2014 22:52, Lewis wrote:
Okay, so one time? In band camp? Roger was all, like:

Any "old-fashioned" map-less hand-held GPS (e.g. Garmin 12) will do that
with no problem at all. It seems to me that, whilst smart-phones and
tablet computers may have lots of new gizzmos, they might also lack some
of the functionality of an old basic GPS!

They also lack some of the functionality of a food processor.

Which actually makes my point. People expect these modern devices to be
"all things to all people" whereas they are often better off with
lower-tech dedicated devices.

[I don't imagine that an iPAD has *any* functionality of a food
processor! g]
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old October 12th 14, 11:38 AM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav

On 2014.10.12, 06:24 , Roger Mills wrote:
On 11/10/2014 22:52, Lewis wrote:
Okay, so one time? In band camp? Roger
was all, like:

Any "old-fashioned" map-less hand-held GPS (e.g. Garmin 12) will do that
with no problem at all. It seems to me that, whilst smart-phones and
tablet computers may have lots of new gizzmos, they might also lack some
of the functionality of an old basic GPS!

They also lack some of the functionality of a food processor.

Which actually makes my point. People expect these modern devices to be
"all things to all people" whereas they are often better off with
lower-tech dedicated devices.

[I don't imagine that an iPAD has *any* functionality of a food
processor! g]

More than you think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6WuHzE-1fk

--
Among Broad Outlines, conception is far more pleasurable
than “carrying [the children] to fruition.”

Old October 12th 14, 12:53 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Jim Pierson

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 11:24:25 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

[I don't imagine that an iPAD has *any* functionality of a food
processor! g]

If it has a free app that can just POINT to the desired location, with a
straight-line distance, I'd be perfectly happy with just that
functionality.

Old October 12th 14, 01:18 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Erilar

Jim Pierson wrote:
On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 11:24:25 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

[I don't imagine that an iPAD has *any* functionality of a food
processor! g]

If it has a free app that can just POINT to the desired location, with a
straight-line distance, I'd be perfectly happy with just that
functionality.

That's Topo Maps.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old October 12th 14, 07:14 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 12/10/2014 18:24, Lewis wrote:
Okay, so one time? In band camp? Roger was all, like:
On 11/10/2014 22:52, Lewis wrote:
Okay, so one time? In band camp? Roger was all, like:

Any "old-fashioned" map-less hand-held GPS (e.g. Garmin 12) will do that
with no problem at all. It seems to me that, whilst smart-phones and
tablet computers may have lots of new gizzmos, they might also lack some
of the functionality of an old basic GPS!

They also lack some of the functionality of a food processor.

Which actually makes my point. People expect these modern devices to be
"all things to all people" whereas they are often better off with
lower-tech dedicated devices.

[I don't imagine that an iPAD has *any* functionality of a food
processor!g]

Well, you can use it to cut vegetables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeA5xU2YjXk

Hehe, I'd forgotten that one! A chopping board isn't exactly a food
processor though, is it?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old October 12th 14, 07:24 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Rod Speed

Roger Mills wrote
Lewis wrote

Roger wrote

Any "old-fashioned" map-less hand-held GPS (e.g. Garmin 12)
will do that with no problem at all. It seems to me that, whilst
smart-phones and tablet computers may have lots of new gizzmos,
they might also lack some of the functionality of an old basic GPS!

They also lack some of the functionality of a food processor.

Which actually makes my point.

No it does not.

People expect these modern devices to be "all things to all people"

And that is what they mostly are, with very few exceptions.

The only remaining one is DSLRs but
more and more are deciding that the
extras they do bring over the best of
the smartphones just isnt warranted
by the massively bigger thing you
have to carry around and don't
bother for all but the most difficult
photographic situations now.

whereas they are often better off
with lower-tech dedicated devices.

Hardly ever anymore particularly with
the lower tech devices. The only real
exception is the devices that can do
a whole week between charges, but
even with those, you are often better
off with the higher tech devices and
a decent juice pack if you are going
to be away from the car or mains for
that long etc.

Old October 14th 14, 05:22 AM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
isw

In article
dhosting.com,
Jim Pierson wrote:

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 18:54:40 +0000, Patty Winter wrote:

If you want something that will route you via roads or trails, you need
an app that's designed for that.

I'm trying to find a specific point in rough terrain where there is
absolutely no path. I will be doing that tomorrow with friends.

My cell phone battery dies too soon, so I want to use the iPad.

All I need to do is KNOW which direction the one objective is, and how
far away, at any one time.

I think geocachers do this all the time ... don't they?
Do none of them use free apps on the iPad?

I don't have an iAnything; I have an old "nearly dumb" phone. But it
runs a really sweet Java app called GPSMid

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gpsmid/

which talks to my external Bluetooth-enabled GPS unit, and makes GPX
files of where I walk. It also provides a moving map display with the
GPS location centered on the screen. It uses Open Street Map maps (which
are Open Source, and are therefore free) for the display on the 'phone,
and so it runs completely self-contained, with no data connection
needed. It also supports the sort of thing you want ("which way is
*there* from where I am?"), at least for street names and so on which
are in the OSM data. I have never tried to set an arbitrary location
into it.

Isaac
Old October 14th 14, 05:27 AM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
isw

In article ,
Erilar wrote:

Jim Pierson wrote:
I want to have the iPad simply point to a GPS coordinate and tell me two
things, (a) the compass heading, and (b) the distance to that point.

I may or may not have cellular signal when I need it to do this.

I tried, with Google Earth, but it wouldn't give me that information on
the iPad (I think it gives that information on the computer though).

I don't want to buy software because I only need it infrequently.
Is there something that will do these two simple things on the iPad?

PS to previous post: google earth is totally useless for this and for my
needs now useless for what I formerly used it for, which was a link to my
google map collections. Besides, it can only be used ON line.

At least with a computer (not sure about iThings), you can arrange to
cache the maps of the place you're going to be (assuming you *know*
where you'll be going), and G-E will use those. According to some stuff
I read but didn't ever try, that is ...

Isaac
Old October 14th 14, 09:53 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 10/11/14 8:14 AM, Jim Pierson wrote:
I want to have the iPad simply point to a GPS coordinate and tell me two
things, (a) the compass heading, and (b) the distance to that point.

I may or may not have cellular signal when I need it to do this.

I tried, with Google Earth, but it wouldn't give me that information on
the iPad (I think it gives that information on the computer though).

I don't want to buy software because I only need it infrequently.
Is there something that will do these two simple things on the iPad?

WiFi Connection only will Geo-locate you iPad. Apple Maps may do what
you need.