Can I use my iPad to geolocate to a point without having cellular?

Old October 15th 14, 01:56 AM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Patty Winter

Default Can I use my iPad to geolocate to a point without having cellular?

In article ,
Sam Wormley wrote:
On 10/11/14 8:14 AM, Jim Pierson wrote:
I want to have the iPad simply point to a GPS coordinate and tell me two
things, (a) the compass heading, and (b) the distance to that point.

I may or may not have cellular signal when I need it to do this.

WiFi Connection only will Geo-locate you iPad. Apple Maps may do what
you need.

The built-in GPS chip in the iPad will also geolocate it. No need for
any kind of Internet connection, either cellular or Wi-Fi.

I was surprised to discover on my iPad a few months ago when I started
playing around with the GPS receiver that the iPad caches a fair region
of Apple Maps. I was 15 miles away from my house (where the iPad must
have cached the local maps via my Wi-Fi connection) and I was still
getting the highest level of detail in the maps. Scrolling around
revealed that I could have gone even a little bit further. Then there
was a surrounding area that didn't have the smallest streets, then
an even wider area that still had larger streets, etc. etc. until the
data became too large-grained to be of any real use.

Patty

Old October 15th 14, 03:55 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Erilar

Sam Wormley wrote:
On 10/11/14 8:14 AM, Jim Pierson wrote:
I want to have the iPad simply point to a GPS coordinate and tell me two
things, (a) the compass heading, and (b) the distance to that point.

I may or may not have cellular signal when I need it to do this.

I tried, with Google Earth, but it wouldn't give me that information on
the iPad (I think it gives that information on the computer though).

I don't want to buy software because I only need it infrequently.
Is there something that will do these two simple things on the iPad?

WiFi Connection only will Geo-locate you iPad. Apple Maps may do what
you need.

I don't need any internet or cellular connection at all for my off- line
map apps to show me where I am, and TopoMaps will even give me direction to
a Waypoint I've saved. The GPS is independent.
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old October 15th 14, 03:55 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Erilar

Patty Winter wrote:
In article ,
Sam Wormley wrote:
[...]

I discovered Maps on the original iPad would save the last one and let me
play around with it as long as I didn't try to change maps and wipe
everything out. It helped me a couple times in the middle of nowhere when
I'd made a wrong turn and wanted to change my route rather than go back.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old October 15th 14, 03:55 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Erilar

isw wrote:
In article ,
Erilar wrote:

PS to previous post: google earth is totally useless for this and for my
needs now useless for what I formerly used it for, which was a link to my
google map collections. Besides, it can only be used ON line.

At least with a computer (not sure about iThings), you can arrange to
cache the maps of the place you're going to be (assuming you *know*
where you'll be going), and G-E will use those. According to some stuff
I read but didn't ever try, that is ...

I have yet to find out how to save ANYTHING on the downgraded Google Earth.
I added it to my laptop and found it even LESS useful, so I deleted that.
The only thing I use it for any more is to find fotos to grab from one
location at a time-- and I'm likely to find them on Googlemaps first, where
I can save locations, even though I can't organize them on my iPad, just
assign "favorite" status to keep them in a messy list.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad