Can I use my iPad to geolocate to a point without having cellular?

Old October 11th 14, 02:14 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Jim Pierson

Default Can I use my iPad to geolocate to a point without having cellular?

I want to have the iPad simply point to a GPS coordinate and tell me two
things, (a) the compass heading, and (b) the distance to that point.

I may or may not have cellular signal when I need it to do this.

I tried, with Google Earth, but it wouldn't give me that information on
the iPad (I think it gives that information on the computer though).

I don't want to buy software because I only need it infrequently.
Is there something that will do these two simple things on the iPad?
Old October 11th 14, 02:42 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav

On 2014.10.11, 09:14 , Jim Pierson wrote:
I want to have the iPad simply point to a GPS coordinate and tell me two
things, (a) the compass heading, and (b) the distance to that point.

I may or may not have cellular signal when I need it to do this.

I tried, with Google Earth, but it wouldn't give me that information on
the iPad (I think it gives that information on the computer though).

I don't want to buy software because I only need it infrequently.
Is there something that will do these two simple things on the iPad?

iPad's with cellular capability can do this. If so, install a GPS
program such as:

- MotionX GPS
- GPS Kit

or other similar nav apps.

Even in the absence of a cell signal, the iPad should eventually capture
enough satellites to navigate - at least in an open area, thence you can
get a bearing and range to the waypoint of interest.

If you know (and enter) your position (w/o a GPS solution) these apps
will also give you the bearing and distance between 2 points when
planning a route.

Pedantic notes:

"Heading" is where you are pointed (not necessarily where you are going).

"Bearing" is the angle from pt A to pt B.

--
Among Broad Outlines, conception is far more pleasurable
than “carrying [the children] to fruition.”

Old October 11th 14, 07:10 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Erilar

Jim Pierson wrote:
I want to have the iPad simply point to a GPS coordinate and tell me two
things, (a) the compass heading, and (b) the distance to that point.

I may or may not have cellular signal when I need it to do this.

I tried, with Google Earth, but it wouldn't give me that information on
the iPad (I think it gives that information on the computer though).

I don't want to buy software because I only need it infrequently.
Is there something that will do these two simple things on the iPad?

PS to previous post: google earth is totally useless for this and for my
needs now useless for what I formerly used it for, which was a link to my
google map collections. Besides, it can only be used ON line.
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old October 11th 14, 07:10 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Erilar

Jim Pierson wrote:
I want to have the iPad simply point to a GPS coordinate and tell me two
things, (a) the compass heading, and (b) the distance to that point.

I may or may not have cellular signal when I need it to do this.

I tried, with Google Earth, but it wouldn't give me that information on
the iPad (I think it gives that information on the computer though).

I don't want to buy software because I only need it infrequently.
Is there something that will do these two simple things on the iPad?

I haven't tried this in detail, but since my iPad Air seems to have good
GPS on or off line, I've been playing with a free app I acquired a few
years ago, Topo Maps, which will let me set a Waypoint somewhere I'm not
and give me compass coordinates as well as show me where I am at the
moment. It also has a "guide me" function, but it just gives me a straight
line, which only a bird could follow.
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old October 11th 14, 07:54 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Patty Winter

In article ,
Erilar wrote:

I've been playing with a free app I acquired a few
years ago, Topo Maps, which will let me set a Waypoint somewhere I'm not
and give me compass coordinates as well as show me where I am at the
moment. It also has a "guide me" function, but it just gives me a straight
line, which only a bird could follow.

That's because people who use topo maps generally know how to READ
topo maps, and can therefore choose the best route based on their
desires (e.g. avoid tall hills) and skills.

If you want something that will route you via roads or trails, you
need an app that's designed for that.

Patty

Old October 11th 14, 08:50 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Jim Pierson

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 18:54:40 +0000, Patty Winter wrote:

If you want something that will route you via roads or trails, you need
an app that's designed for that.

I'm trying to find a specific point in rough terrain where there is
absolutely no path. I will be doing that tomorrow with friends.

My cell phone battery dies too soon, so I want to use the iPad.

All I need to do is KNOW which direction the one objective is, and how
far away, at any one time.

I think geocachers do this all the time ... don't they?
Do none of them use free apps on the iPad?
Old October 11th 14, 09:02 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 11/10/2014 20:50, Jim Pierson wrote:
On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 18:54:40 +0000, Patty Winter wrote:

If you want something that will route you via roads or trails, you need
an app that's designed for that.

I'm trying to find a specific point in rough terrain where there is
absolutely no path. I will be doing that tomorrow with friends.

My cell phone battery dies too soon, so I want to use the iPad.

All I need to do is KNOW which direction the one objective is, and how
far away, at any one time.

I think geocachers do this all the time ... don't they?
Do none of them use free apps on the iPad?

Any "old-fashioned" map-less hand-held GPS (e.g. Garmin 12) will do that
with no problem at all. It seems to me that, whilst smart-phones and
tablet computers may have lots of new gizzmos, they might also lack some
of the functionality of an old basic GPS!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old October 11th 14, 09:16 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
nospam

In article
dhosting.com, Jim
Pierson wrote:

All I need to do is KNOW which direction the one objective is, and how
far away, at any one time.

I think geocachers do this all the time ... don't they?
Do none of them use free apps on the iPad?

there are lots of geocaching apps as well as other apps that can do
this. also, don't restrict yourself to free. a couple of bucks is not a
big deal and worth not getting lost.
Old October 11th 14, 10:08 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Savageduck

On 2014-10-11 20:02:55 +0000, Roger Mills said:

On 11/10/2014 20:50, Jim Pierson wrote:
On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 18:54:40 +0000, Patty Winter wrote:

If you want something that will route you via roads or trails, you need
an app that's designed for that.

I'm trying to find a specific point in rough terrain where there is
absolutely no path. I will be doing that tomorrow with friends.

My cell phone battery dies too soon, so I want to use the iPad.

All I need to do is KNOW which direction the one objective is, and how
far away, at any one time.

I think geocachers do this all the time ... don't they?
Do none of them use free apps on the iPad?

Any "old-fashioned" map-less hand-held GPS (e.g. Garmin 12) will do
that with no problem at all. It seems to me that, whilst smart-phones
and tablet computers may have lots of new gizzmos, they might also lack
some of the functionality of an old basic GPS!

There are a few very good apps which will do all you ask. Some have
been mentioned, and regardless of a search for free stuff you are
usually better off paying the reasonable cost of those which perform
well. All can set way points and bearing to waypoint/target.

There is the already mentioned MotionX GPS HD for the very good value of $1.99.
http://gps.motionx.com/ipad/overview/
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/motionx-gps-hd/id370488535?mt=8

Then Theodolite:
http://www.hrtapps.com/theodolitehd/
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/theodolite-hd/id425456242?mt=8
http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/review/theodolite_app_for_ios_is_breathtaking

....and Spyglass:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spyglass/id332639548?mt=8
http://happymagenta.com/spyglass/

....and if you really want a geocaching app for iOS8 look no further than:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/geocaching/id292242503?mt=8

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Old October 12th 14, 12:48 AM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Erilar

Patty Winter wrote:
In article ,
Erilar wrote:

I've been playing with a free app I acquired a few
years ago, Topo Maps, which will let me set a Waypoint somewhere I'm not
and give me compass coordinates as well as show me where I am at the
moment. It also has a "guide me" function, but it just gives me a straight
line, which only a bird could follow.

That's because people who use topo maps generally know how to READ
topo maps, and can therefore choose the best route based on their
desires (e.g. avoid tall hills) and skills.

If you want something that will route you via roads or trails, you
need an app that's designed for that.

Patty

Oh, i have other ways to do that. I just thought the OP might find that
app useful.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad