The only GPS receivers I use these days are the ones in my Prius(2005), my iPad Air (2013) and my iPhone6 (2014)

Old November 16th 14, 07:20 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Sam Wormley[_2_]

Default The only GPS receivers I use these days are the ones in my Prius(2005), my iPad Air (2013) and my iPhone6 (2014)

As I recently wrote to Joe MeHeffey, the only GPS receivers I use these
days are the ones in my Prius (2005), my iPad Air (2013) and my iPhone6
(2014).

The mobile iDevices use Assisted GPS and GLONASS. I was able to use an
iPhone5 (2012) unassisted on a flight last April coming back from a
conference in Carlsbad, CA at 31,000 feet. Assisted, as you know,
provides ephemeris information to the receiver so as TTFF is about 1-2
seconds. However the receiver still works without cell tower assistance.

Old November 16th 14, 10:11 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav

On 2014.11.16, 15:20 , Sam Wormley wrote:
As I recently wrote to Joe MeHeffey, the only GPS receivers I use these
days are the ones in my Prius (2005), my iPad Air (2013) and my iPhone6
(2014).

The mobile iDevices use Assisted GPS and GLONASS. I was able to use an
iPhone5 (2012) unassisted on a flight last April coming back from a
conference in Carlsbad, CA at 31,000 feet. Assisted, as you know,
provides ephemeris information to the receiver so as TTFF is about 1-2
seconds. However the receiver still works without cell tower assistance.

Apple (or the chip maker) drive the GPS receiver conservatively in the
iPhone's to save energy resulting in a higher error. All the
measurements I've done have shown about 2x the error horizontally
(iPhone 4 v. 12 channel receiver - no vertical tests done).

Perhaps with the GLONASS'd receivers it is better but as long as they do
the slow update rate (about 0.5 Hz v 1 Hz for most receivers) the error
is bound to be higher.

Apple also starve the interface so there is no way to write apps that
get more info about the GPS out (sats tracked, SNR, Doppler, etc.)

That said having a navigator in one's mobile phone is very nifty indeed.

(I don't even consider an iPhone to be a phone as much as a mobile
information and communications system)

--
Among Broad Outlines, conception is far more pleasurable
than “carrying [the children] to fruition.”

Old November 18th 14, 06:29 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Terje Mathisen[_3_]

Alan Browne wrote:
On 2014.11.16, 15:20 , Sam Wormley wrote:
As I recently wrote to Joe MeHeffey, the only GPS receivers I use these
days are the ones in my Prius (2005), my iPad Air (2013) and my iPhone6
(2014).

On a short mountain hike on Saturday I had the following GPSs tracking:

Garmin Montana
Garmin 410
Garmin 620
Holux 1000 (usb/bluetooth datalogger)
Samsung S5, using Osmand Pro and set to 1Hz mode

The main difference is of course the multi- (quad!) band receiver in the
S5, but for an open mountain area, the track logs are effectively identical.

The mobile iDevices use Assisted GPS and GLONASS. I was able to use an
iPhone5 (2012) unassisted on a flight last April coming back from a
conference in Carlsbad, CA at 31,000 feet. Assisted, as you know,
provides ephemeris information to the receiver so as TTFF is about 1-2
seconds. However the receiver still works without cell tower assistance.

Apple (or the chip maker) drive the GPS receiver conservatively in the
iPhone's to save energy resulting in a higher error. All the
measurements I've done have shown about 2x the error horizontally
(iPhone 4 v. 12 channel receiver - no vertical tests done).

Perhaps with the GLONASS'd receivers it is better but as long as they do
the slow update rate (about 0.5 Hz v 1 Hz for most receivers) the error
is bound to be higher.

With Android you do have the interfaces available to tune the accuracy
vs power use balance.

Apple also starve the interface so there is no way to write apps that
get more info about the GPS out (sats tracked, SNR, Doppler, etc.)

That said having a navigator in one's mobile phone is very nifty indeed.

(I don't even consider an iPhone to be a phone as much as a mobile
information and communications system)

An iPhone is primarily an Apple conduit to your wallet. :-)

Terje

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
Old November 18th 14, 12:36 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav

On 2014.11.18, 02:29 , Terje Mathisen wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
[...]

Generalized misinformation.