U.S. Secretary of Defense Wants to Move Past GPS to MEMS-BasedNavigation, PNT Experts Doubtful

Old July 1st 15, 12:36 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Sam Wormley[_2_]

Default U.S. Secretary of Defense Wants to Move Past GPS to MEMS-BasedNavigation, PNT Experts Doubtful

U.S. Secretary of Defense Wants to Move Past GPS to MEMS-Based
Navigation, PNT Experts Doubtful
http://www.insidegnss.com/node/4553

Ashton Carter, the new U.S. Secretary of Defense has been making
clear he supports moving past GPS to a disbursed network based on
microelectromechanical systems or MEMS for position, navigation, and
timing (PNT) information.

Carter, who was tapped to lead the Pentagon in February, appears to
have first publically floated the idea a year ago, about six months
after leaving the Department of Defense (DoD).

“I hate GPS,” Carter said during a wide-ranging conversation about
innovation in June 2014. “The idea that we are all hooked to a
satellite — formerly bought by me to my great resentment — in a
semi-synchronous orbit that that doesn’t work in certain
circumstances, does not work indoors or in valleys in Afghanistan, is
ridiculous.”

Old July 1st 15, 01:19 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav

On 2015-06-30 19:36, Sam Wormley wrote:
[...]

I guess when he gets the neutrino transmitter/receivers up and going we
can abandon the satellites.

Old July 1st 15, 01:23 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Sam Wormley[_2_]

On 6/30/15 7:19 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2015-06-30 19:36, Sam Wormley wrote:
[...]

That reminds me--Two neutrinos walked in to the bar. The barkeep asked
what the wanted to drink. One neutrino relied, "nothing, we're just
passing through.

-
Old July 1st 15, 06:37 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
J. J. Lodder

Sam Wormley wrote:

[...]

Which is just inertial navigation by another name.
It will still need someother system for initial position
and for drift compensation,

Jan

Old July 1st 15, 06:48 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav

On 2015-06-30 19:36, Sam Wormley wrote:
[...]

;-)

A couple strings want to go into a bar. A sign says "NO STRINGS ALLOWED".

One of the strings decides on a disguise so he ties himself so he looks
like he's a tie and makes the top end into a shaggy hairdo.

They walk in. The bartender looks at him suspiciously.

"Hey! Aren't you a string?"

"'frayed knot".