Does anyone here draw tracks with desktop detail & then follow onmobile devices?

Old October 2nd 15, 01:33 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.windows7.general,alt.os.linux
Mitch Kaufmann

Default Does anyone here draw tracks with desktop detail & then follow onmobile devices?

I asked this over in the Android & iOS & GPS groups, but, so far,
I have failed to find an answer that satisfies the simple need.

My desktop platforms are Windows & Linux.
My mobile platforms are Android & iOS.

Given that, does anyone here do the following?
1. Draw desired tracks by hand (hopefully at USGS detail on a desktop)
2. Transfer those tracks to a mobile device
3. Follow those tracks, with GPS guidance, while hiking

Since I use maps so much, I have both "Roadmap" & "Outdoor"
folders in a central location, easily found with one hand
while driving or hiking with my Android device.
http://i.imgur.com/arGkDsm.png

While I have more apps than are shown on the desktop, in the
Roadmap folder, I have these that I use (shown in order of most
useful to least used from top to bottom & from left to right):
http://i.imgur.com/7mKEp1Z.png

And, in my Outdoor folder, I have these shortcuts, again shown
in order of most used to least used (with the rarely used apps
hidden from view):
http://i.imgur.com/LU1ADss.gif

The goal of this thread is the following very simple process:

1. Manually draw the track using USGS topo map detail on a desktop.
2. Transfer that track to the mobile device (iOS or Android).
3. Physically follow that track at USGS topo map detail while hiking.

The trick is getting the desired detail (OSM maps don't generally
work for backcountry hiking in rough terrain because they lack the
required detail). But if OSM is all that is available, then OSM will
have to do.

The main goal is to draw on the desktop, transfer to the mobile device,
and then follow the track on the mobile device (with guidance).

Does anyone here know how to do that?

Old October 2nd 15, 02:36 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.windows7.general,alt.os.linux
Paul

Mitch Kaufmann wrote:
I asked this over in the Android & iOS & GPS groups, but, so far,
I have failed to find an answer that satisfies the simple need.

My desktop platforms are Windows & Linux.
My mobile platforms are Android & iOS.

The USGS provides a page for this.

"USGS Topo Data on the Go
USGS The National Map Topographic Data are now available on
mobile devices that are using the Android or iOS operating system"

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=3580

And it's hard to believe they couldn't manage to put
all the tools, right on the platform.

If it doesn't work, send an email to the USGS with
your concerns.

*******

If you have further questions, trim down the questions
to their constituent parts.

1) MOBAC - seek a Windows group only for help if you cannot
install it.

2) OruxMaps or AlpineQuest via Google Play App Store.
Seek an Android group if you cannot use them.

3) Install Galileo on your iPhone or iPad via iTunes App Store.
Seek an iOS/Apple group if it doesn't work.

4) An actual navigation question, consult just the appropriate
navigation group.

These cross-posted "for arguments only" threads are for the birds.
Making a giant thread, then arguing against every suggestion
made by posters, is for one purpose only, trolling.

By focusing your questions to specific aspects of the
problem, and consulting just the group involved,
everyone will be a lot happier.

(There is an individual who regularly posts these strawmen,
just for the purpose of making a stink... No points are
awarded, if you happen to be that individual, "Mr. CrossPoster".)

Paul
Old October 2nd 15, 05:46 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.windows7.general,alt.os.linux
Mike Barnes[_2_]

Mitch Kaufmann wrote:
The main goal is to draw on the desktop, transfer to the mobile device,
and then follow the track on the mobile device (with guidance).

Does anyone here know how to do that?

In the UK, yes (for iOS, not so sure about Android), but I suspect
that's not what you're after.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Old October 2nd 15, 08:39 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.windows7.general,alt.os.linux

On 2015-10-02 08:33, Mitch Kaufmann wrote:
I asked this over in the Android & iOS & GPS groups, but, so far,
I have failed to find an answer that satisfies the simple need.

My desktop platforms are Windows & Linux.
My mobile platforms are Android & iOS.

Given that, does anyone here do the following?
1. Draw desired tracks by hand (hopefully at USGS detail on a desktop)
2. Transfer those tracks to a mobile device
3. Follow those tracks, with GPS guidance, while hiking

I would occasionally hand enter waypoints on my handheld GPS, rather
than paths. And then navigate to the waypoint. Obviously not getting
guidance as the waypoints could be many km apart and the path would not
be a straight line.

Note that you could enter paths in Google Map Maker and then they would
show on Google Maps (after passing muster). Then (assuming reception or
pre-loading of the maps) one could follow the paths with one's Android
or iPhone device easily enough (I've done this in two areas).

Old October 6th 15, 08:45 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.windows7.general,alt.os.linux
Mitch Kaufmann

On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 15:39:33 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

I would occasionally hand enter waypoints on my handheld GPS, rather
than paths. And then navigate to the waypoint. Obviously not getting
guidance as the waypoints could be many km apart and the path would not
be a straight line.

Hi Alan,

I understand your suggestion, which is to add a series of waypoints, and
then to just use voice guidance (or navigation?) to adjust the
backcountry
hike, as needed, to get to the next waypoint in the breadcrumb trail.

That would work, and, it has the advantage that I can use Google
Satellite view on a web browser to better locate the individual waypoints.

This waypoint-by-waypoint idea may be critical because I often need to
aim toward a big oak tree on a ridge, or I need to avoid impenetrable
chaparral, neither of which shows up on a topographic map, but both of
which show up on a desktop with a big screen opened to Google Satellite
Map views.

Note that you could enter paths in Google Map Maker and then they would
show on Google Maps (after passing muster). Then (assuming reception or
pre-loading of the maps) one could follow the paths with one's Android
or iPhone device easily enough (I've done this in two areas).

So far, I can enter routes as a series of straight-line paths two ways on
the Android device:
1. Locus Maps Free adds a route on a USGS topographic map
2. Viewranger freeware adds a route on a OSM topographic map

So, in the worst case, I'm OK because even though the screen is super
tiny compared to a desktop, I can at least create a route and then try to
follow it, all on the Android device.

What would be BEST though, is to create that route on the big screen
desktop, where I have access to both Google Maps and USGS topo Maps
(probably in Google Earth it's best since both are in Google Earth).

Here, I think, is the ideal flow for backcountry hiking in rough terrain:

1. Create a ROUTE using a mix of Google Earth satellite & topo map views.
2. Export that route to GPX
3. Import that route to Android Locus Map Free with USGS offline topo maps
4. Navigate (or guide?) along that route on the ground

QUESTION:
Has anyone here created routes on a Linux/Win desktop using Google Earth?
Old October 6th 15, 08:50 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.windows7.general,alt.os.linux
Mitch Kaufmann

On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 17:46:46 +0100, Mike Barnes wrote:

In the UK, yes (for iOS, not so sure about Android), but I suspect
that's not what you're after.

What would be perfect would be:

1. Create a route on a desktop using Google Earth (satellite + topo).
2. Export that route to GPX and then import that route into Android.
3. Follow (guide? navigate?) that route on Android using Locus Map Free.

I can already flip between satellite and USGS topographic maps on Google
Earth on the desktop (see procedure below); so what I need now only is to
figure out how to create a route using Google Earth (I never tried it).

QUESTION:
*Have you ever created a route using Google Earth?*

ADDENDUM: Here is how to add a USGS map overlay to Google Earth:
1. Obtain free USA USGS topographic maps for Google Earth:
Point your web browser to http://www.earthpoint.us/TopoMap.aspx
Press the "View on Google Earth" button.
This will Download "EarthPointTopoMap_012701.kml"
Save as: /tmp/EarthPointTopoMap_012701.kml

2. Load the USA USGS topographic map into Google Earth:
$ googleearth &
GoogleEarth: File Open /tmp/EarthPointTopoMap_012701.kml
GoogleEarth: View Sidebar

3. Select the Earth Point Topo Map USGS Quandrangles:
GoogleEarth: Places Earth Point Topo Map USGS Quadrangles

4. Load your KML track which will now topographically show on GE:
GoogleEarth: File Open MyTrack.kml
You will see your tracks on a topographic map.
http://i.imgur.com/Y43qPId.jpg

You can tilt this topo map, but I always have issues with topo tilt.

5. If you loaded a KMZ file, you can save as KML for portability:
GoogleEarth: File Open MyTrack.kmz
GoogleEarth: File Save Save Place As MyTrack.kml

6. To return to satellite view, uncheck what you checked above:
GoogleEarth: View Sidebar
GoogleEarth: Places Earth Point Topo Map USGS Quadrangles

Old October 6th 15, 09:07 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.windows7.general,alt.os.linux
Mitch Kaufmann

On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 09:36:00 -0400, Paul wrote:

USGS The National Map Topographic Data are now available on mobile
devices that are using the Android or iOS operating system"

I apologize if I confused anyone with my own confusion in my question.

To be clearer, the problem was never how to get offline USGS topographic
maps on a mobile device, since I had that before we started.

For example, here is my Android desktop showing many offline USGS-topo-
map-aware GPS programs: http://i.imgur.com/tXfj9bg.gif

The problem was/is DRAWING the desired offtrail route on a desktop using
both the Google Earth satellite view and the USGS topographic map
(almost) simultaneously, and then being GUIDED along that route on the
mobile device.

If you know how to do that, it would answer the question.
I will rephrase the question below, to clarify what I had not made clear:

Given I already have Google Earth on the desktop with both Satellite View
and USGS Topographic Overlays (I can switch with the flip of a button)...

QUESTION:
Do you know how to CREATE a route in Google Earth & then export GPX?
Old October 7th 15, 08:03 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Hans-Georg Michna

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 16:07:53 -0400, Mitch Kaufmann wrote:

QUESTION:
Do you know how to CREATE a route in Google Earth & then export GPX?

Google Earth only exports KML or KMZ. Locus can import these
files and then export GPX, if you like.

I sometimes use GPS Babel (for Windows) to convert different GPS
data formats. You may not need it though.

Hans-Georg
Old October 7th 15, 04:42 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Mitch Kaufmann

On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 09:03:53 +0200, Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

Google Earth only exports KML or KMZ. Locus can import these files and
then export GPX, if you like.

I sometimes use GPS Babel (for Windows) to convert different GPS data
formats. You may not need it though.

Hi Hans-Georg,
Thanks for letting me know because that saves time not trying to figure
out how to get google earth to export GPX.

I am going to try this tutorial to draw a route in Google Earth on Linux
and then export to KMZ and then read that KMZ into Locus Maps on Android:

http://atlanticgeocaching.com/index....h-google-earth

Old October 7th 15, 05:19 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.windows7.general,alt.os.linux
Mitch Kaufmann

On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 11:42:56 -0400, Mitch Kaufmann wrote:

I am going to try this tutorial to draw a route in Google
Earth on Linux and then export to KMZ and then read that
KMZ into Locus Maps on Android:

http://atlanticgeocaching.com/index....h-google-earth

Drat. I only realized after it failed, that Google Earth
prefers to route along ROADs!

So, this failed for me (but would work with roads).

Start Google Earth & zoom to the area of interest for creating your route.
1. Create your first waypoint:
[GoogleEarth]Add Placemark (control + shift + p)
Label the waypoint as desired & press "OK".

2. Set the first waypoint to be the beginning by rightclicking on it:
[RightClick-on-Placemark]Directions from here

3. Create the entire route by repeating step 1 as needed:
Switch back & forth between USGS topo view & satellite view as needed.

4. Set the last waypoint to be the beginning by rightclicking on it:
[RightClick-on-Placemark]Directions to here

5. Save your route as a KMZ or KML file using:
[GoogleEarth]File Save Save place as (control + s) filename.kmz
or
[GoogleEarth]File Save Save place as (control + s) filename.kml

6. Transfer the KMZ file to the mobile device any way you like:
[USB cable]SAMSUNG SGH-T999 Phone Download filename.kmz
or
[USB cable]SAMSUNG SGH-T999 Phone Download filename.kml

7. Import the KMZ into your favorite offtrail gps guidance application:
[LocusMap Free]Menu More Import data
[Local File]/storage/emulated/0/download/
[x]Show on the map after import [IMPORT]

8. Drat! This will only route along a roadway even if none of the points
are anywhere near a roadway.