What3Words = location (9m resolution)

Old August 11th 16, 11:39 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav

Default What3Words = location (9m resolution)

http://what3words.com/

eg: reduce.bravest.spoke is ... ?

--
She hummed to herself because she was an unrivaled botcher of lyrics.
-Nick (Gone Girl), Gillian Flynn.
Old August 11th 16, 04:09 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
MJC

In article ,
says...

http://what3words.com/

eg: reduce.bravest.spoke is ... ?

The precept fails for me because I don't find three random words easy to
memorise! And I always found those systems for memorising by imagining
an illustrated walk (or something) just a ridiculous overhead.

The bloke who founded what3words got a mention recently because he's
also keen on quizzes. Dunno what his business model is (or name, for
that matter!)...

Mike.
Old August 11th 16, 10:57 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav

On 2016-08-11 12:09, MJC wrote:
In article ,
says...

http://what3words.com/

eg: reduce.bravest.spoke is ... ?

The precept fails for me because I don't find three random words easy to
memorise! And I always found those systems for memorising by imagining
an illustrated walk (or something) just a ridiculous overhead.

It solves delivery issues in countries where street naming / house
numbering is not common. Mongolia to some parts of Ireland. Give 'em
the 3 words and an app tells them where that is.

Old August 18th 16, 08:56 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav

Alan Browne wrote:

http://what3words.com/

eg: reduce.bravest.spoke is ... ?

Peru?
I'm not sure that there is any difference between words that can be
misunderstood (your example shows three locations offered), and numbers
that can be misunderstood.
If I look coordinates up in an app, and can share via test messge, then
there's no difference.

--
She hummed to herself because she was an unrivaled botcher of lyrics.
-Nick (Gone Girl), Gillian Flynn.

--
Clarence A Dold - Santa Rosa, CA, USA GPS: 38.47,-122.65
Old August 18th 16, 09:21 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav

On 2016-08-18 16:56, wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

http://what3words.com/

eg: reduce.bravest.spoke is ... ?

Peru?
I'm not sure that there is any difference between words that can be
misunderstood (your example shows three locations offered), and numbers
that can be misunderstood.
If I look coordinates up in an app, and can share via test messge, then
there's no difference.

The issue comes from places that don't use addresses such as in parts of
Asia. While people can easily screw up coordinates (is that in D.ddddd,
D M S, D M.mmm ... etc.) it's pretty easy to convey three words in a
text message or other form with low error. The app does the rest.

Old September 3rd 16, 03:00 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav

Alan Browne wrote:
The issue comes from places that don't use addresses such as in parts of
Asia. While people can easily screw up coordinates (is that in D.ddddd,
D M S, D M.mmm ... etc.) it's pretty easy to convey three words in a
text message or other form with low error. The app does the rest.

I have toyed around with w3w.co a little more.
When picking a spot, it would be nice to see a list of the words around
you. To pick my home, for instance, some of the combinations of words are
not ones that I want to use, but I did find one by moving around slightly.

At the granulaity of points provided, there are a few that would be
suitable for locating my house.

http://w3w.co/twilight.contempt.revolved is a place I've visited.

--
Clarence A Dold - Santa Rosa, CA, USA GPS: 38.47,-122.65
Old September 13th 16, 06:37 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav

Alan Browne wrote:
At the granulaity of points provided, there are a few that would be
suitable for locating my house.

Which is the intended purpose.

I thought it was clever that a friend, who is a soccer coach, has "soccer"
as one of the three words describing his house. He pointed out that my
house ends with "splat". I moved around a little to find a better
combination, but a "list", or seeing the adjacent ones, if zoomed in far
enough, would be nice.

Google Maps uses a short-name, called a Plus Code https://plus.codes/
This can be two+two, like 9m+g4 if you are nearby, or expanded to the
city, or region or world, by adding more digits, or a city name.

Full, world-wide:
669M+G4 Petaluma, 94952, California
Nearby: 9M+G4
Citywide: 669M+G4
Region: CV669M+G4
world-unique: 84CV669M+G4

--
Clarence A Dold - Santa Rosa, CA, USA GPS: 38.47,-122.65