A Satellite Navigation and Global Positioing Systems forum. Sat Nav Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Sat Nav Banter forum » GPS and Sat Nav Newsgroups » sci.geo.satellite-nav (Global Satellite Navigation)
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

sci.geo.satellite-nav (Global Satellite Navigation) (sci.geo.satellite-nav) Discussion of global navigation satellite systems (GNSS). Topics include the technical aspects of GNSS operation, user experiences in the use of GNSS, information regarding GNSS products and discussion of GNSS policy (such as GPS selective availability).

Offline Windows latitude and longitude converter (DMS - DD - DdM)



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old March 28th 18, 09:09 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Keith Nuttle
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Offline Windows latitude and longitude converter (DMS - DD -DdM)

On 3/28/2018 3:38 PM, Bob J Jones wrote:
In , "B. R.
'BeAr' Ederson" wrote:

The cs2cs command line converter does about any coordinate transformation:

http://proj4.org/apps/cs2cs.html

Input *can* be latitude/longitude, *standard* output is DMS for geographic
coordinates.


Thanks for that potential offline freeware longitude/latitude converter,
where I note, like GPS Babel, it has Linux and Windows binaries, which
makes it a more general solution than was Microsoft Excel.
http://proj4.org/download.html#windows

I was asked by a friend if this process described below works for Linux in
addition to Windows.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci....Y/7LpakFp4BwAJ

Where I don't yet know if there is an OziExplorer-like program on Linux
that geocalibrates USGS PDFs allowing tracks to be drawn and edited on
them, offline, in Linux.

I googled for whether OziExplorer works on Linux and only found this:
http://www.oziexplorer3.com/support/...her/linux.html
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=210752

Apparently oziexplorer works on Android though
http://oziexplorer3.com/oziexpmain_au.html

So, unless the main capability of stitching USGS PDFs together and
geocalibrating them and editing tracks on them is available on Linux,
having this command in linux isn't all that helpful.

While many ways have been offered to assist you. The following is the
basic operations you need to perform to make the conversions.

To convert degrees-minutes-seconds to decimal degrees.

Using your standard calculator enter the

degrees in memory
divide the minutes by 60 and add (sum) the results to memory
divide the seconds by 3600 and add (sum) the results to memory

The sum of Degrees + minutes/60 + seconds/3600 is the decimal degrees.

Example: 60d 30m 50s

sum (60 + 39/60 + 59/3600) = 60.51388889


Converting from decimal degrees is a little more difficult

longitude 60.51388889

The integer portion is the degrees

Use the decimal portion of the longitude
multiply by 60 the integer portion in the minutes.

using the decimal portion of the above multiply by 60
the integer portion of the above is the seconds.

Using 60.51388889

60 Degrees
0.51388889*60 = 30.8333333333331 for 30 minutes
0.8333333333331*60 = 50 second

I have seen the seconds from the above calculation expressed as a
decimal. 50d 40m 35.45s

It does not make any difference if you are working with longitude or
latitude the calculation is the same

As I said this can be done in your hand calculator or if you want you
can place it in a spreadsheet, MS Excel, Corel Quattro Pro, of one of
the free spread sheets.

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre
  #12  
Old March 28th 18, 09:25 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,sci.geo.satellite-nav
B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Offline Windows latitude and longitude converter (DMS - DD - DdM)

On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 19:38:08 +0000 (UTC), Bob J Jones wrote:

I was asked by a friend if this process described below works for Linux in
addition to Windows.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci....Y/7LpakFp4BwAJ

[...]
So, unless the main capability of stitching USGS PDFs together and
geocalibrating them and editing tracks on them is available on Linux,
having this command in linux isn't all that helpful.


OziExplorer is "just" a GUI wrapper (like the free QGIS I recommended)
around the functionality of the GIS tools and libraries from the free
open source OSGEO project (and several others). These libraries and
tools are - of course - also available for Linux. Actually, most of
them have been initially developed there; and were just ported to Win
later on.

So for example: Instead of having OziExplorer call up gdal_translate,
you could run it all by yourself.

BeAr
--
================================================== =========================
= What do you mean with: "Perfection is always an illusion"? =
================================================== =============--(Oops!)===
  #13  
Old March 28th 18, 10:08 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Bob J Jones
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default Offline Windows latitude and longitude converter (DMS - DD - DdM)

In , "B. R. 'BeAr'
Ederson" wrote:

OziExplorer is "just" a GUI wrapper (like the free QGIS I recommended)
around the functionality of the GIS tools and libraries from the free
open source OSGEO project (and several others). These libraries and
tools are - of course - also available for Linux. Actually, most of
them have been initially developed there; and were just ported to Win
later on.

So for example: Instead of having OziExplorer call up gdal_translate,
you could run it all by yourself.


Wow. Thanks for that useful information.

I don't have anywhere near the skillset required to make use of that
information to create a Linux tool that geocalibrates the USGS PDF
topographic maps and then edits and displays tracks on those geocalibrated
maps, but that's great to know that the underlying capability exists for a
good Linux coder to follow up on.

Thanks!
  #14  
Old March 28th 18, 10:24 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,sci.geo.satellite-nav
B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Offline Windows latitude and longitude converter (DMS - DD - DdM)

On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 22:08:08 +0000 (UTC), Bob J Jones wrote:

In , "B. R. 'BeAr'
Ederson" wrote:

OziExplorer is "just" a GUI wrapper (like the free QGIS I recommended)
around the functionality of the GIS tools and libraries from the free
open source OSGEO project (and several others). These libraries and
tools are - of course - also available for Linux. Actually, most of
them have been initially developed there; and were just ported to Win
later on.

So for example: Instead of having OziExplorer call up gdal_translate,
you could run it all by yourself.


Wow. Thanks for that useful information.

I don't have anywhere near the skillset required to make use of that
information to create a Linux tool that geocalibrates the USGS PDF
topographic maps and then edits and displays tracks on those geocalibrated
maps, but that's great to know that the underlying capability exists for a
good Linux coder to follow up on.


You really don't get it: The programs /are/ all available. QGIS (available
for Windows as well as Linux, Mac, BSD) is currently just the best solution
as a GUI. Suitable for beginners as well as GIS Pro's. But there are other
GUI's as well. *And* countless GIS command line tools and libraries.

QGIS also supports geopdf files directly. (No need for conversation.) But
those huge files load (very) slowly. Therefore I did recommend using WMS
services. These load nearly instantaneously. No need to load, convert and
store huge amounts of raster data (which soon will be outdated), just to
adjust a couple of track points to elevation contour lines..

BeAr
--
================================================== =========================
= What do you mean with: "Perfection is always an illusion"? =
================================================== =============--(Oops!)===
  #15  
Old March 28th 18, 11:27 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Bob J Jones
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default Offline Windows latitude and longitude converter (DMS - DD - DdM)

In , "B. R. 'BeAr'
Ederson" wrote:

You really don't get it: The programs /are/ all available. QGIS (available
for Windows as well as Linux, Mac, BSD) is currently just the best solution
as a GUI. Suitable for beginners as well as GIS Pro's. But there are other
GUI's as well. *And* countless GIS command line tools and libraries.


Thanks for the confirmation that QGIS exists for Linux & Windows.
https://www.qgis.org/en/site/

QGIS also supports geopdf files directly. (No need for conversation.)


I'm not sure yet what a "geopdf" file is, but I guess what you're saying is
that the PDFs from the USGS don't need to be "geocalibrated", is that what
you mean?

But
those huge files load (very) slowly. Therefore I did recommend using WMS
services. These load nearly instantaneously.


WMS services?

Web map services?
http://www.qgistutorials.com/en/docs..._with_wms.html

Googling, is this an appropriate hit to ponder?
https://www.northrivergeographic.com/qgiswms

No need to load, convert and
store huge amounts of raster data (which soon will be outdated), just to
adjust a couple of track points to elevation contour lines..


Is this the right place to get started using QGIS to view and create
tracks, offline, on a desktop using USGS topographic maps?
https://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/index.html
  #16  
Old March 29th 18, 09:37 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Mike S
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Offline Windows latitude and longitude converter (DMS - DD -DdM)

On 3/27/2018 10:52 PM, Bob J Jones wrote:
Do you know of an offline Windows latitude and longitude converter
that will convert degrees minutes seconds to Degrees decimal Minutes?

Degrees Minutes Seconds - Decimal Degrees - Degrees decimal Minutes
(DMS - DD - DdM)

For example, these are equivalent:
DMS latitude 25d 15m, 0s longitude 110d 07m 30s
DD latitude 25.25d, longitude 110.125d
DdM latitude 25d 15.0000m, longitude 110d 7.5000m

The offline OziExplorer app requires DdM but USGS maps are in DMS.
So the hard part is finding a convert to Degrees decimal minutes.

Here are web sites that will convert from DMS to DdM.
http://jeeep.com/details/coord
http://rumkin.com/tools/gps/degrees.php
https://www.pgc.umn.edu/apps/convert

All these Excel macros only show conversion of DDM - DMS but not DdM.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-za/...-decimal-angle
https://gist.github.com/valentinitne...3e13c4f7b7716b
https://www.fieldmuseum.org/science/...g-dd-dms-excel

What is needed is an offline tool to convert to Degrees decimal minutes.

Do you know of an offline Windows latitude and longitude converter
that will convert degrees minutes seconds to Degrees decimal Minutes?


Easy to do in javascript as well.
  #17  
Old March 29th 18, 05:43 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Bill Bradshaw[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7
Default Offline Windows latitude and longitude converter (DMS - DD - DdM)

There was one called DegMinSec by Mentor Software but they are gone and I
can not find the program online. Send me an email with your address and I
will send you a copy.
--
Bill

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska

Bob J Jones wrote:
Do you know of an offline Windows latitude and longitude converter
that will convert degrees minutes seconds to Degrees decimal Minutes?

Degrees Minutes Seconds - Decimal Degrees - Degrees decimal
Minutes (DMS - DD - DdM)

For example, these are equivalent:
DMS latitude 25d 15m, 0s longitude 110d 07m 30s
DD latitude 25.25d, longitude 110.125d
DdM latitude 25d 15.0000m, longitude 110d 7.5000m

The offline OziExplorer app requires DdM but USGS maps are in DMS.
So the hard part is finding a convert to Degrees decimal minutes.

Here are web sites that will convert from DMS to DdM.
http://jeeep.com/details/coord
http://rumkin.com/tools/gps/degrees.php
https://www.pgc.umn.edu/apps/convert

All these Excel macros only show conversion of DDM - DMS but not
DdM.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-za/...-decimal-angle
https://gist.github.com/valentinitne...3e13c4f7b7716b
https://www.fieldmuseum.org/science/...g-dd-dms-excel

What is needed is an offline tool to convert to Degrees decimal
minutes.

Do you know of an offline Windows latitude and longitude converter
that will convert degrees minutes seconds to Degrees decimal Minutes?



  #18  
Old March 30th 18, 06:50 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Mike S
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Offline Windows latitude and longitude converter (DMS - DD -DdM)

On 3/29/2018 2:37 AM, Mike S wrote:
On 3/27/2018 10:52 PM, Bob J Jones wrote:
Do you know of an offline Windows latitude and longitude converter
that will convert degrees minutes seconds to Degrees decimal Minutes?

Degrees Minutes Seconds - Decimal Degrees - Degrees decimal Minutes
(DMS - DD - DdM)

For example, these are equivalent:
* DMS latitude 25d 15m, 0s** longitude 110d 07m 30s
* DD* latitude 25.25d,****** longitude 110.125d
* DdM latitude 25d 15.0000m, longitude 110d 7.5000m

The offline OziExplorer app requires DdM but USGS maps are in DMS.
So the hard part is finding a convert to Degrees decimal minutes.

Here are web sites that will convert from DMS to DdM.
* http://jeeep.com/details/coord
* http://rumkin.com/tools/gps/degrees.php
* https://www.pgc.umn.edu/apps/convert

All these Excel macros only show conversion of DDM - DMS but not DdM.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-za/...-decimal-angle


https://gist.github.com/valentinitne...3e13c4f7b7716b
* https://www.fieldmuseum.org/science/...g-dd-dms-excel

What is needed is an offline tool to convert to Degrees decimal minutes.

Do you know of an offline Windows latitude and longitude converter
that will convert degrees minutes seconds to Degrees decimal Minutes?


Easy to do in javascript as well.


Send me an email if you'd like a cleaned up version of this page,
including just the relevant HTML and javascript.
https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/dms-decimal
  #19  
Old March 30th 18, 09:04 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Mike S
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Offline Windows latitude and longitude converter (DMS - DD -DdM)

On 3/29/2018 11:50 PM, Mike S wrote:
On 3/29/2018 2:37 AM, Mike S wrote:
On 3/27/2018 10:52 PM, Bob J Jones wrote:
Do you know of an offline Windows latitude and longitude converter
that will convert degrees minutes seconds to Degrees decimal Minutes?

Degrees Minutes Seconds - Decimal Degrees - Degrees decimal Minutes
(DMS - DD - DdM)

For example, these are equivalent:
* DMS latitude 25d 15m, 0s** longitude 110d 07m 30s
* DD* latitude 25.25d,****** longitude 110.125d
* DdM latitude 25d 15.0000m, longitude 110d 7.5000m

The offline OziExplorer app requires DdM but USGS maps are in DMS.
So the hard part is finding a convert to Degrees decimal minutes.

Here are web sites that will convert from DMS to DdM.
* http://jeeep.com/details/coord
* http://rumkin.com/tools/gps/degrees.php
* https://www.pgc.umn.edu/apps/convert

All these Excel macros only show conversion of DDM - DMS but not DdM.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-za/...-decimal-angle

https://gist.github.com/valentinitne...3e13c4f7b7716b
* https://www.fieldmuseum.org/science/...g-dd-dms-excel

What is needed is an offline tool to convert to Degrees decimal minutes.

Do you know of an offline Windows latitude and longitude converter
that will convert degrees minutes seconds to Degrees decimal Minutes?


Easy to do in javascript as well.


Send me an email if you'd like a cleaned up version of this page,
including just the relevant HTML and javascript.
https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/dms-decimal


This one is more accurate
https://jsfiddle.net/dpwqLdjx/8/

code is taken from here
http://www.satsig.net/degrees-minute...calculator.htm
  #20  
Old March 30th 18, 10:16 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Terje Mathisen[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 26
Default Offline Windows latitude and longitude converter (DMS - DD -DdM)

I'm sure that you could write such a converter in PowerShell (assuming
you are on Windows), or you could download a free perl implementation
and use a script like this: If an input line contains 3 numbers it
assumes DD MM SS and returns DD MM.MMMM, if two it assumes DD MM.MMM and
returns DD.DDDDDD, and a single input is converted from DD.DDDDD to DD
MM SS.S.

#!perl -w
while () {
chomp;
(my $d, $m, $s) = split;
if (defined($s) && $s ne '') { # 3 inputs!
printf("%s %6.4f\n", $d, $m+$s/60); # Return DD MM.MMMM
}
elsif (defined($m) && $m ne '') { # 2 inputs
printf("%8.6f\n", $d+$m/60); # Return DD.DDDDDD
}
elsif (defined($d)) {
$m = $d*60; $d = int($d); $m -= $d*60;
$s = $m*60; $m = int($m); $s -= $m*60;
printf("%2d %2d %4.1f\n", $d, $m, $s); # Return DD MM SS.S
}
}

I've tested this far enough to see that it is accurate at the sub-meter
level, which is far better than needed for map calibration.

Terje
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2018 Sat Nav Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.