simple freeware to record coordinates?

Old August 2nd 04, 02:05 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Lee Carkenord

Default simple freeware to record coordinates?

I don't want to ever hook my GPS to my PC. However, I do accumulate a
lot of landmarks/waypoints in it. I do NO mapping.

I'm looking for some really simple freeware. I want to be able to
periodically sit down at a keyboard and type into some simple freeware
program the pertinent data about my landmarks.

Date, datum, co-ordinates,elevation, notes........stuff like that.
This would enable me to have a record (on a floppy, CD, or hard
drive) of all my acquired waypoints, and still be able to periodically
"clean out" the waypoints from the GPS unit.

One thing I would like this program to be able to do........and that
is to convert whatever coords I enter.......into several other
commonly used formats.

Example, I enter a coord in DEG/MIN/SEC.......the program records
this, and at the same time converts and displays those DEG/MIN/SEC
coords as DEG.DDDDD and as DEG/MIN.MMM and as UTM coords.

I did a GOOGLE, but just got too many hits.

Could someone please steer me to a program like I described.

Thank you..... Lee Carkenord
Old August 2nd 04, 02:11 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Stuart Middleton-White

(Lee Carkenord) wrote:

I'm looking for some really simple freeware.

You might take a look at EasyGPS.
http://www.easygps.com

---
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!
Old August 2nd 04, 03:02 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Dave Patton

(Lee Carkenord) wrote in
om:

I don't want to ever hook my GPS to my PC.

Why?. If you cannot do it, such as if your GPS has no data
connection, you cannot afford a data cable, etc., that
may explain things, but if you have the capability,
why limit yourself by refusing to do so?

However, I do accumulate a
lot of landmarks/waypoints in it. I do NO mapping.

That's fine, but it doesn't mean that you can't
make use of your PC.

I'm looking for some really simple freeware. I want to be able to
periodically sit down at a keyboard and type into some simple freeware
program the pertinent data about my landmarks.

Why not connect your GPS to the PC, download all your waypoints,
and then you can do whatever you want with them on your PC.
At the very least, it will save data entry errors.

Date, datum, co-ordinates,elevation, notes........stuff like that.

While it depends on your GPS, many GPS receivers will be able to
download the waypoint coordinates and elevation, in the standard
datum used by GPS receiver, WGS84. Most GPS receivers store their
data internally using WGS84, regardless of what datum you have
set your GPS to display.

This would enable me to have a record (on a floppy, CD, or hard
drive) of all my acquired waypoints, and still be able to periodically
"clean out" the waypoints from the GPS unit.

In fact, you can download the GPS data to the PC, store it in
whatever format(s) you want, annotate it, and treat that as
a backup of the GPS data. Done properly, you can then upload
the data back to the GPS, for cases where you lost the
GPS data, such as mistaken deletion, GPS malfunction,
firmware reloads, etc.

I did a GOOGLE, but just got too many hits.
Could someone please steer me to a program like I described.

Download the free program G7ToWin:
http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/g7towin.htm
and play around with it. I'd suggest using it
to download and upload waypoints from/to your GPS.
It can save data in a number of formats, so in addition
to the capabilities of G7ToWin, you could save the data
to a comma-delimted file and then use a spreadsheet or
database program to work with the data.

--
Dave Patton
http://www.confluence.org/
Old August 2nd 04, 10:57 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Fred Hiltz

Lee Carkenord wrote:
I don't want to ever hook my GPS to my PC. However, I do
accumulate a lot of landmarks/waypoints in it. I do NO mapping.

I'm looking for some really simple freeware. I want to be able to
periodically sit down at a keyboard and type into some simple
freeware program the pertinent data about my landmarks.

Stuart mentioned EasyGPS. I also like G7ToWin
http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/. It does all this and writes
files in myriad formats.
--
Fred Hiltz, fhiltz at yahoo dot com

Old August 2nd 04, 03:29 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Jack Yeazel

Dave Patton wrote

Download the free program G7ToWin:
http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/g7towin.htm
and play around with it. I'd suggest using it
to download and upload waypoints from/to your GPS.
It can save data in a number of formats, so in addition
to the capabilities of G7ToWin, you could save the data
to a comma-delimted file and then use a spreadsheet or
database program to work with the data.

-And to help out a little, here are some instruction:
http://www.gpsinformation.net/main/g7to-mag.htm

--
Jack

Get general GPS information at: http://www.gpsinformation.net/