26xx - Saving tracks

Old August 5th 04, 08:27 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Walter Wright

Default 26xx - Saving tracks

"Reg" wrote in message

What's the e-mail addreess at Garmin, so that others can repeat your
report?

I just logged the call on the Garmin support page at
http://www.garmin.com/contactUs/techSupport.jsp

Walter

Old August 5th 04, 08:27 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Walter Wright

wrote in message
news

Walter if you don't want it, don't use it. Some of us have
a very good use for it.
Thanks

Fair point. But I didn't want Garmin to think "He wants all this Track
Saving and Management functionality and TracBack just like all our other
GPSRs - that's too big a change for the 26xx, or it won't fit, so we won't
do any of that" , whereas all *I* really need is a Save Current Tracklog to
named file and Reload Tracklog from named file functions. The smaller the
change, the better chance there is of getting it introduced.

Of course, if Garmin were to retrofit all of the tracklog management stuff,
I would certainly not complain.

Walter

Old August 5th 04, 08:27 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Walter Wright

"Dale DePriest" wrote in message

I requested that the tracklog be saved to a card on the iQue some time
ago. While the Customer rep liked the idea it has seemed to have fallen
on deaf ears in engineering. All the units that support cards should
have this function and you would be able to copy it back to the active
track log for display.

Oh dear. If they won't listen to you, I have no chance.

Trackback on an autorouted unit may not make too much sense but the
abilty to reverse a saved route by rememebering the end points and user
defined intermediate points while autorouting all the stuff in between
can be quite useful. Mapoplis has this feature.

I have not had a requirement to do that so far in my limited ownership of
the 2610, but I can see that it would be a useful feature, and not obviously
achievable with the current firmware.

Walter

Old August 5th 04, 10:11 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Carsten Kurz

Default 26xx - Saving tracks - might not be possible due to hardwareconstraints

PanEuropean schrieb:

I suspect, however, that the GPSR does not have the hardware capability to
write data to the CF card. Just thinking of my past experience with other
GPSR's, I have never seen one that ever writes to the data card. All they
do is read from the data card. So, maybe it is "physically" not possible,
due to the design and construction of the GPSR.

Reading and writing from/to a CF is actually not too different. I guess
the problem is more on the software side. The 26xx series certainly has
the ressources to write to CF cards, and I'm sure Garmin has some hidden
code that can do it. But doing that is always a risk, since it can spoil
your map data. I would assume that Garmin will either decide to never
write to the card, or they simply need some more time for reliability
testing. Magellans write to their SD cards without a problem.

- Carsten

--
Audio Visual Systems fon: +49 (0)2234 601886
Carsten Kurz fax: +49 (0)2234 601887
Old August 5th 04, 11:05 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
gomez

On 4 Aug 2004 23:57:33 GMT, Seagull dropped the
following oil-slick:

wrote:

Anyway, in my missive to Garmin, I expressly
mentioned Tracback as being something I was NOT looking for.

Walter if you don't want it, don't use it. Some of us have
a very good use for it.

Sure you have a use for it, but it does not belong in a device that is
exclusively designed for auto-routing.

That is a very arrogant presumption about what other people would
like/need to have. Apart from which what makes you think the 26xx is
*exclusively* designed for autorouting?
--
gomez
(not is hot to reply)
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"
Old August 5th 04, 11:39 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Trevor S

"PanEuropean" wrote in
:

I think Walter's idea of being able to dump the tracklog to the CF
card is a great idea.

Imperative. I "presumed" the 2610 woudl have this... eeek... even my
crusty old Etrex Summit does this. Without this feature, it takes the
2610 from serious consideration to not worth a look .... sigh...

I suspect, however, that the GPSR does not have the hardware
capability to write data to the CF card. Just thinking of my past
experience with other GPSR's, I have never seen one that ever writes
to the data card.

What the hell ??? Magellan do it to SD cards. I ALWAYS log every trip on
my motorbike journeys to SD card, saving each day as I go for archival
purposes. I can then load it back for bactracking purposes at some future
stage.

and yeah, same guy as in UKGSer.com

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein
Old August 5th 04, 01:48 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Dale DePriest

Walter Wright wrote:

"Dale DePriest" wrote in message

I requested that the tracklog be saved to a card on the iQue some time
ago. While the Customer rep liked the idea it has seemed to have fallen
on deaf ears in engineering. All the units that support cards should
have this function and you would be able to copy it back to the active
track log for display.

Oh dear. If they won't listen to you, I have no chance.

Well, collectively I think there is a better chance. Perhaps an email
campaign.

Dale

Trackback on an autorouted unit may not make too much sense but the
abilty to reverse a saved route by rememebering the end points and user
defined intermediate points while autorouting all the stuff in between
can be quite useful. Mapoplis has this feature.

I have not had a requirement to do that so far in my limited ownership of
the 2610, but I can see that it would be a useful feature, and not obviously
achievable with the current firmware.

Walter

--
_ _ Dale DePriest
/`) _ // http://users.cwnet.com/dalede
o/_/ (_(_X_(` For GPS and GPS/PDAs

Old August 5th 04, 02:45 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Anders Persson

Carsten Kurz wrote in message ...
Magellans write to their SD cards without a problem.

- Carsten

As does the Garmin iQue. But that's a little different, since it's a
PDA at the same time.
But can't you download a new mapset to a 2610/2650 receiver, with the
card installed in the GPS? Do you have to remove the card to store new
maps on it?
Otherwise that's proof that it can write to the card.

Anders
Old August 5th 04, 02:50 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Carsten Kurz

Anders Persson schrieb:

Otherwise that's proof that it can write to the card.

A tough technical question. As far as I know, for map download the 26xx
acts as a generic USB mass storage device, more or less just a card
reader/writer. That would mean that the 26xx handles over file-system
handling to the host PC and does not write to the card using it's own
firmware. Just a guess - that's how these mass storage drivers work.

Anyway - I'm sure Garmin has some code in the 26xx firmware to write to
the CF. They may just not use it (yet).

- Carsten

Old August 5th 04, 03:14 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Seagull

gomez wrote:

Sure you have a use for it, but it does not belong in a device that is
exclusively designed for auto-routing.

That is a very arrogant presumption about what other people would
like/need to have.

It's not presumptiopn at all. As has been pointed out on this newsgroup
multiple times, trackbacks on an auto-routing unit make no sense because
roads have a direction associated with them. An autoroute can very easily
include one-way streets and divided highways. Following a trackback can
send you the wrong way down a road.

Now, the ability to reverse a route (meaning, revisit your via points
in reverse order) makes a lot more sense since the unit would calculate
a new route for you. This is complicated by the fact that some road
geometries are not even easily reversed (think highway off-ramps that
have no corresponding on-ramp, and visa-versa), but it's still creating
a new route for you which is not the same as a trackback where you are
retracing your steps exactly.

Apart from which what makes you think the 26xx is
*exclusively* designed for autorouting?

Ummm...what makes you think it isn't?

If you ignore the fact that its called a "StreetPilot", ignore Garmin's
marketing, and just look at the features, it's pretty clear that it's
designed for vehicle navigation on roads. It has no internal battery
which restricts it to external power only. It ships with a car adapter
and vehicle mounts. It has automotive grade components for high-vibration
environments. It is bundled with the City Navigator series which is
Garmin's flagship auto-routing software. The 2650 and 2660 are designed
to hook up specifically to the vehicle's spedometer and reverse lights for
vehicle DR. It contains features that are specifically targetted towards
autorouting (detours, road avoidance, road classification preferences)
that are not available on general-purpose models, and some of which
aren't even present on dual-purpose models.

You can point out that there are ways to make it portable, that it can
be used for hiking and biking, but it's clearly not /targetted/ for this
market.

Cheers,
-+JLS

--