26xx - Saving tracks

Old August 5th 04, 11:38 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Seagull

Default 26xx - Saving tracks

Peter wrote:

I think we're all agreed that it can be useful. But those things have
nothing to do with autorouting, which you agreed is defined as
"automatically calculate routes from A to B (via C, etc)
'along a network'."

Give me a break. If you want to split hairs, we can say that having
configurable day/night map colors has nothing to do with autorouting.
Where would it end?

So if tracklogs are a proper function of the 26xx series then those
models aren't meant "exclusively for autorouting."

The point here is that tracklogs are useful for autorouting devices.
Trackbacks, however, can create illegal and dangerous routes and as such
would not be appropriate, even though they might also be useful in
some circumstances. Garmin, it seems, has chosen to err on the side
of caution, and I agree with that decision. You and a few others
do not. So there's really nothing left to discuss, I guess.

Cheers,
-+JLS

--
\ carpe cavy!
seagull @ aracnet.com \
Old August 6th 04, 10:51 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
gomez

On 5 Aug 2004 22:32:33 GMT, Seagull dropped the
following oil-slick:

And herein lies the point. The GPS should never tell you to do something
stupid. Routing you the wrong way down a one-way street or highway is
stupid.

I will just answer this one point as I agree we othewise have made our
positions clear.

If the trackback was implemented such that it gave you incorrect turn
instructions then yes that would not be good. I was assuming that you
would follow the track using the map and there would be *no* routing
instructions.
--
gomez
(not is hot to reply)
Old August 7th 04, 12:08 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Reg

Default 26xx - Saving tracks - might not be possible due to hardware constraints

"Carsten Kurz" wrote

A tough technical question. As far as I know, for map download the

26xx
acts as a generic USB mass storage device, more or less just a card
reader/writer. That would mean that the 26xx handles over

file-system
handling to the host PC and does not write to the card using it's

own
firmware. Just a guess - that's how these mass storage drivers work.

Carsten you probably know that all CF Cards are just like any other
ATA disk. They include the disk controller, so Garmin does not need
to provide this in the 26xx.

A USB flash card as I understand it (but here I may be wrong) does not
have a disk controller. My USB flash card works on XP by just
plugging it in. To use it with W98, I would need to add a driver,
which I would assume includes an interface to the PC's disk controller
or implements it in software.

Reg.

Old August 7th 04, 12:20 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Reg

Default APRS with a USB GPS

I've seen a number of posts about features lacking on the 26xx range.

Is it possible to extract the data from a 26xx to use with a Kenwood
D-700?

There are many serial to UBS converters, but I've not seen any USB to
serial to convert a USB device so that it can connect to a serial
port.

I've been trying to find details of the USB spec. without sucess. I
understand that it's a packet based system, so possibly the packets
could be decoded in software.

Reg.

Old August 8th 04, 03:48 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Eric

"Reg" wrote in message ...
I've seen a number of posts about features lacking on the 26xx range.

Is it possible to extract the data from a 26xx to use with a Kenwood
D-700?

There are many serial to UBS converters, but I've not seen any USB to
serial to convert a USB device so that it can connect to a serial
port.

I've been trying to find details of the USB spec. without sucess. I
understand that it's a packet based system, so possibly the packets
could be decoded in software.

Reg.

Even if you could get a USB-RS232 adaptor, it looks like the 2600
series follow the new Garmin policy of Garmin binary protocol only.
The D-7 and D-700 need NMEA data to generate APRS strings. Too bad,
since Garmin is starting to introduce some interesting units (like the
Foretrex).

Eric
Old August 8th 04, 04:07 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Carsten Kurz

Eric schrieb:

Even if you could get a USB-RS232 adaptor, it looks like the 2600
series follow the new Garmin policy of Garmin binary protocol only.
The D-7 and D-700 need NMEA data to generate APRS strings. Too bad,
since Garmin is starting to introduce some interesting units (like the
Foretrex).

The 2650 and 2660 also support NMEA over a RS232 cable. The 2610/2620
only support Garmin protocol over USB.

- Carsten

--
Audio Visual Systems fon: +49 (0)2234 601886
Carsten Kurz fax: +49 (0)2234 601887
Old August 8th 04, 04:09 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Carsten Kurz

Reg schrieb:

I've seen a number of posts about features lacking on the 26xx range.

Is it possible to extract the data from a 26xx to use with a Kenwood
D-700?

The 2650/2660 yes, since they offer a RS232/NMEA option. The 2610/2620
do not.

There are many serial to UBS converters, but I've not seen any USB to
serial to convert a USB device so that it can connect to a serial
port.

That doesn't work. Well it can be done, but the converter would have to
be a PC/Notebook with a USB port and RS232 port.

- Carsten