26xx - Saving tracks

Old August 3rd 04, 12:08 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Stavros

Default 26xx - Saving tracks

"Walter Wright" wrote in message
I recently logged a problem report with Garmin (more of an enhancement
request really). I suggested that it would be useful to be able to save
tracklogs from the 26xx products, a facility I have become accustomed to
using in my trusty eMap. The lack of a serial port means that you can't
simply connect up a PDA to save the tracks, so on the road, without a
USB-enabled laptop, you are fairly stuffed.

My suggestion was to provide a simple feature to dump the current tracklog
to a named file on the CF disk. I'm not talking about applying any
"thinning" algorithms, or providing Tracback features like many of the
other
Garmin products - just a straightforward dump of the Active Log, and then
the ability to download these later via USB.

I thought I would sound out any other 26xx owners who have opinions on
this.
The diminuitive size of the tracklog, and the lack of any means of saving
it
on a long trip, have been the only really disappointing features for me in
an otherwise excellent unit. Does anyone else share my frustrations on
this
point?

Walter

Walter,

I concur. It would indeed be a very nice feature to have. My maps only take
a portion of my 128 Mb CF card, I have some 20 Mb available for the storage
of track logs.
Garmin, please take note.

Regards,

Stavros
S 37 41 26.9
E 145 05 46.6

Old August 4th 04, 12:26 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Reg

"Walter Wright" wrote

I recently logged a problem report with Garmin (more of an

enhancement
request really). I suggested that it would be useful to be able to

save
tracklogs from the 26xx products, a facility I have become

accustomed to
using in my trusty eMap. The lack of a serial port means that you

can't
simply connect up a PDA to save the tracks, so on the road, without

USB-enabled laptop, you are fairly stuffed.

snip

Walter I fully support this request. I've just bought a 2610 and soon
after buying it thought that I'd made a very big mistake in wasting my
hard earned money. Now I am not a newcomer to the GPS world as I
bought my first a Garmin 75, 8 years ago. I also have an eMap, which
I had expected to use elsewhere than my motor, but the 2610 lacks so
many very important basic features of the older two GPSrs.

Another problem with the 2610 track log is that the ability to have a
warning when the log is full, so that a download (to one of my Psions)
can take place, has now gone.

I have kept a log of every day while travelling. Some days I need to
save a second file. With the 2610, I will have to keep checking to
see if the log memory is filling, so that I don't loose any data.
Then stop driving while waiting (zzzzzz.....) for windows to boot etc.
With a serial liked Psion and it's instant-on, the log download could
be done before windows has even loaded.

What's the e-mail addreess at Garmin, so that others can repeat your
report?

Reg.

Old August 4th 04, 05:28 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Dale DePriest

Walter Wright wrote:

"Seagull" wrote in message

wrote:

I would also like to see a trackback mode.

It could be hazardous to your health when your trackback took you the
wrong way down a one-way street. Worse yet, it might be hazardous to
mine.

Yes, I had already concluded that Tracback does not make too much sense on
autorouting GPSRs. I don't think I ever used it on my eMap either. It seems
to more of a hiking feature. Anyway, in my missive to Garmin, I expressly
mentioned Tracback as being something I was NOT looking for.

In my original post I also forgot to mention that having the 2,000
trackpoint capacity raised to 10,000 would be nice too ;-)
(Actually I think its currently 2047 ! )

Walter

I requested that the tracklog be saved to a card on the iQue some time
ago. While the Customer rep liked the idea it has seemed to have fallen
on deaf ears in engineering. All the units that support cards should
have this function and you would be able to copy it back to the active
track log for display.

Trackback on an autorouted unit may not make too much sense but the
abilty to reverse a saved route by rememebering the end points and user
defined intermediate points while autorouting all the stuff in between
can be quite useful. Mapoplis has this feature.

Dale
--
_ _ Dale DePriest
/`) _ // http://users.cwnet.com/dalede

Old August 5th 04, 07:56 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
PanEuropean

Default 26xx - Saving tracks - might not be possible due to hardware constraints

I think Walter's idea of being able to dump the tracklog to the CF card is a
great idea.

I suspect, however, that the GPSR does not have the hardware capability to
write data to the CF card. Just thinking of my past experience with other
GPSR's, I have never seen one that ever writes to the data card. All they
do is read from the data card. So, maybe it is "physically" not possible,
due to the design and construction of the GPSR.

PanEuropean