City Navigator v5.x vs v6.x

Old August 7th 04, 05:52 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
BOHICA

Default City Navigator v5.x vs v6.x

I've had my 2610 for about 2 1/2 weeks now. Overall I am quite satisfied
with the unit. My 2610 shipped with City Navigator v5. Yesterday I
received an email from Garmin telling me about the release of v6. The
message said I could either download or order the CD ROM at no charge BUT
the unlock codes for full access would cost me $150.00.

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel that since I just purchased the 2610 less than 30
days ago, the upgrade should be free. After just spending almost $1000 for
the 2610 and 2GB CF card, I'm not quite ready to put out another $150.

Am I wrong thinking this? Is there much difference between v5 and v6? I
have noticed a few errors in the detailed maps in my area. I'm
hoping/wondering if v6 corrects some of these errors. Does Garmin have any
type of upgrade policy for new buyers?

Thanks,

Kevin

Old August 7th 04, 06:02 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Peter

BOHICA wrote:

I've had my 2610 for about 2 1/2 weeks now. Overall I am quite satisfied
with the unit. My 2610 shipped with City Navigator v5. Yesterday I
received an email from Garmin telling me about the release of v6. The
message said I could either download or order the CD ROM at no charge BUT
the unlock codes for full access would cost me $150.00.

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel that since I just purchased the 2610 less than 30
days ago, the upgrade should be free. After just spending almost $1000 for
the 2610 and 2GB CF card, I'm not quite ready to put out another $150.

Am I wrong thinking this?

The release date listed for CN-NA v.6 is June 21st, 2004. If you first
used and unlocked your v.5 after that date then the update to v.6 should
be free to you. See:
http://shop.garmin.com/cartography/mapsource/faq.asp

Old August 7th 04, 06:29 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
BOHICA

"Peter" wrote in message
BOHICA wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I actually ordered my 2610 on the v6 ship date - July 21, 2004 and
received it on July 26th.

Old August 7th 04, 05:04 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
TT

Where on Garmin's website can you go to download City Navigator v6?
I've ordered the CDs, but would gladly let the computer download the
data directly if I could find out where on their site the link is. I
haven't seen such a link, just the option to have them mail the CDs to
you.

TT

Old August 7th 04, 05:37 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
meme

Call Garmin and request V6.0 unlock code for free. They gave it to me I am
just waiting for the disc. Explain yous situation and they should take care
of you.

meme

Old August 7th 04, 09:28 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
BOHICA

OK, Evidently I miss spoke. The email actually said to order the free CD
ROM. Sorry.

I have found on the Garmin site Map Source v6.3. It's 10.74 MB.
http://www.garmin.com/support/downlo...ils.jsp?id=209

I'm new to the Garmin GPS world so I guess I'm a little confused. What's
the difference between Map Source and Map Source City Navigator?

Old August 7th 04, 09:59 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
S Frank

It will be free. If you registered your unit/software with them after the
announcement date of 6/21/04 you will get the free update. It is on
their website and I have had 3 different tech support people tell me
this.

--
Shane

Old August 7th 04, 10:01 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
S Frank

Map Source is sort of like the operating system that is used to
display their various maps (Metroguide, City Select North America,
City Navigator North America, City Select Europe, etc). So Map Source
updates are always free. And MapSource version numbers have nothing
to do with you map data version number.

--
Shane

Old August 7th 04, 10:13 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
TT

Basically, nothing. MapSource is Garmin's PC-to&from-GPS software
that lives on your PC. It's the program you run in order to download
maps, routes, etc., to your GPS or, to upload routes, waypoints, etc.,
from your GPS to the PC.

City Navigator, City Select, Bluechart, Metroguide (various
countries), and the like are the actual maps you can purchase from
Garmin. Think of Mapsource as the man-machine interface, and the
actual maps as the data that you want to send to your GPS. One copy
of Mapsource on your PC can handle many different sets of maps; that's
why you can easily have CNv5 and CNv6 on your PC at the same time and
Mapsource will happily send maps from whichever version you select to
your GPS.

When you buy the mapping software (CN, CS, whatever), Garmin includes
a copy of Mapsource with it since they don't know whether or not you
already have the program on your PC (and without Mapsource the maps
themselves won't do you much good). If you do already have it
installed from an earlier set of maps or wherever you got it, then
when you install your new mapping software, it checks whether you
already have a version of Mapsource and only overwrites it if the
version that came with your new maps happens to be a later version
than you already have. You can always download the latest update for
Mapsource from Garmin's website for free and keep your copy of
Mapsource current. That only works if you got one of the full
installation versions that came with one of the mapping databases. I
don't think the version of Mapsource that came with my copy of CNv5
was as new as the 6.3 version I already had on my PC, so it basically
didn't change anything as far as the Mapsource software was concerned,
but certainly did install all the CNv5 maps (the data), If you check
the "About Mapsource" tab in the program, if it's not 6.3, you can
download that update from Garmin's website and go ahead and install it
to make sure you have the latest version of the program. The 6.3
update won't do anything for the actual maps themselves (they'll still
have the same mapping errors they always did), but Garmin's always
fixing some minor bugs in the Mapsource program and/or adding some new
feature.

Hope that long winded explanation wasn't too obtuse!

TT

Old August 8th 04, 09:17 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
INDUTRADE

This a "famous" problem with Garmin software updates.
They must offer a solution other that silence...
Regards
Pepe