New GPS Frequency Question

Old August 7th 04, 05:20 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Scott Darling

Default New GPS Frequency Question

Hello all,

I am considering purchasing my first GPS and have read that, by 2005, three
new civilian GPS frequency's will be added.

My question is two fold... are hand held GPS units meant to be able to
utilize all these new frequency's or are these new frequency's more for
specialty use? ie. aircraft, watercraft, etc.

and secondly, if all three will be accessible by hand held units, are
current GPS units able to receive these new frequency's, whether by current
design or a future firmware update?

I am just wondering if it is worth waiting a bit to purchase a GPS unit
(mainly for backcountry use but some highway travel as well).

Thanks

Old August 7th 04, 06:45 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Sam Wormley

Scott Darling wrote:

Hello all,

I am considering purchasing my first GPS and have read that, by 2005, three
new civilian GPS frequency's will be added.

The new frequencies will get added over several years... if you wait
for what's coming in the future, you'll never buy a GPS receiver.

My question is two fold... are hand held GPS units meant to be able to
utilize all these new frequency's or are these new frequency's more for
specialty use? ie. aircraft, watercraft, etc.

The new frequencies for civilian used will provide high accuracy and
better reliability.

and secondly, if all three will be accessible by hand held units, are
current GPS units able to receive these new frequency's, whether by current
design or a future firmware update?

Current receivers are pretty much relegated to using the current
single L1 C/A frequecy/coding format...and will continue to work
well.

I am just wondering if it is worth waiting a bit to purchase a GPS unit
(mainly for backcountry use but some highway travel as well).

I wouldn't wait another week.

-Sam Wormley
http://edu-observatory.org/gps/dgps_bike.html
http://edu-observatory.org/gps/gps.html
http://edu-observatory.org/gps/gps_accuracy.html
http://edu-observatory.org/gps/gps_books.html
Old August 7th 04, 07:59 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Searching_ut

Think of GPS units as you would any other piece of computerized equipment.
There will always be something newer and better around the corner for years
to come, and every three years or so you'll want to upgrade. Not because
your old equipment isn't got bad, but because the new stuff has improved
enough you no longer find what you have acceptable.

For what it's worth

Jeff

Old August 7th 04, 08:02 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Carsten Kurz

Scott Darling schrieb:

My question is two fold... are hand held GPS units meant to be able to
utilize all these new frequency's or are these new frequency's more for
specialty use? ie. aircraft, watercraft, etc.

and secondly, if all three will be accessible by hand held units, are
current GPS units able to receive these new frequency's, whether by current
design or a future firmware update?

I am just wondering if it is worth waiting a bit to purchase a GPS unit
(mainly for backcountry use but some highway travel as well).

Forget about the new frequencies for any current shopping. It will take
a couple of years until a decent constellation with these new satellites
is available. Having only a few available doesn't help you.

You will definitly need a new receiver once this makes sense. The
analog/RF frontend can't be upgraded by software. I don't that currently
any manufacturer of consumer receivers is even thinking about releasing
a device with support for the new frequencies. They are probably having
internal disussions about product development strategies for the coming
years, but certainly not for real products supporting the new
frequencies.

- Carsten

--
Audio Visual Systems fon: +49 (0)2234 601886
Carsten Kurz fax: +49 (0)2234 601887
Old August 7th 04, 10:30 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Scott Darling

Thanks for the info all... it definately helps. I mainly wanted to know
whether something was planned hardwarewise for the immediate future to
accomodate the upcoming frequency's... if it was I would have waited a bit
but since it is far enough off and the current selection of GPS's will
retain plenty enough reliability anyways, I will go ahead and start making a
decision on which GPS to purchase now... decisions, decisions....

Scott

news:[email protected]

Old August 8th 04, 12:36 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Phil Wheeler

Why wait? For most uses (e.g., driving and hiking) you will not need
anything the new freqs have to offer. And you will have to wait a
couple of years to use them, as new satellites get deployed in
sufficient quantity.

Phil