City Navigator Australia

Old August 8th 04, 07:33 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Mark Zak

Default City Navigator Australia

G'day All

I am looking at buying City Navigator Australia for GPSMap 276C (I already
have MetroGuide Australia) and would appreciate comments/views, i.e., how
detailed it is in cities versus country areas and any other information you
may have.

Thanking in anticipation
Mark Zak

Old August 8th 04, 10:54 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Burnie M

If you want 'turn by turn' autorouting then you need City Navigator.

MGA has almost identical metro area coverage to CNA with MGA much
better in rural areas
CNA has only main highways and major rural towns
CNA v5 does have more POI but then it is more recent

Cheers,
Burnie M
GPSmap 276C with City Navigator Australia, Metrgouide Australia and
Bluechart Pacific on a 128MN card

Old August 9th 04, 03:16 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Mark Zak

Burnie and Avsec,

Thank you for your responses, appreciate it.

Regards
Mark

"Avsec" wrote in message
u...
I agree.

Avsec

Old August 9th 04, 03:38 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Avsec

I think MetroGuide a ridicules name to describe it's use in Australian. It's
more suited for the Yank market and how they interpret their maps and
phraseology.

Avsec

"Mark Zak" wrote in message
Burnie and Avsec,

Thank you for your responses, appreciate it.

Regards
Mark

"Avsec" wrote in message
u...
I agree.

Avsec

Old August 9th 04, 04:14 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Peter

Avsec wrote:

I think MetroGuide a ridicules name to describe it's use in Australian. It's
more suited for the Yank market and how they interpret their maps and
phraseology.

No, the name doesn't make sense in the US either. I guess it did
originally when Garmin just offered pre-programmed data cards with
a choice of a limited number of metropolitan areas (SF Bay, NY, LA,
etc.), but it hasn't been that way for a long time. "MetroGuide"
doesn't sound like a product that would include the little dirt roads
within a remote campground in the middle of a national forest -
but I've found that these are frequently covered.

"City Select" is also a name that promises much less than the
product actually offers. From the name I'd expect coverage only
in a select set of cities but it's actually not nearly so limited
(at least in the US).

Avsec

"Mark Zak" wrote in message

Burnie and Avsec,

Thank you for your responses, appreciate it.

Regards
Mark

"Avsec" wrote in message
.au...