American etrex in europe

Old August 8th 04, 07:05 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Yum

Default American etrex in europe

I've gotten a etrex legend with american base map.
Can I use it in europe by just adding european metroguide, or do I need to
replace basemap ?
I would like to see street level map. TIA

Old August 8th 04, 07:26 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Dave Patton

"Yum" wrote in
:

I've gotten a etrex legend with american base map.
Can I use it in europe by just adding european metroguide, or do I
need to replace basemap ?

You cannot replace the basemap.

--
Dave Patton
http://www.confluence.org/
Old August 8th 04, 07:46 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
gomez

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 12:05:31 -0700, "Yum" dropped the
following oil-slick:

Can I use it in europe by just adding european metroguide, or do I need to

Yes
--
gomez
(not is hot to reply)
Old August 8th 04, 08:45 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Gary S.

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 12:05:31 -0700, "Yum" wrote:

I've gotten a etrex legend with american base map.
Can I use it in europe by just adding european metroguide, or do I need to
replace basemap ?
I would like to see street level map. TIA

You cannot replace the basemap.

In any case, you would probably want to have one of the more detailed
maps, as the basemap, depending on area, primarily has only major
roads and major landmarks.

For my town, for example, the US basemap shows about a half dozen
roads. The other products would be capable of showing almost every
street, some of them with routing features on certain GPSr.

There are different products from Garmin, and you should check into
the coverage of each for your area of interest. For Europe in
particular the product details will vary greatly from country to
country.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old August 8th 04, 09:15 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Gilles Kohl [MVP]

Yum,

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 12:05:31 -0700, "Yum" wrote:

I've gotten a etrex legend with american base map.
Can I use it in europe by just adding european metroguide, or do I need to
replace basemap ?
I would like to see street level map. TIA

The basemap cannot be replaced - MetroGuide Europe sounds like the way
to go / maybe consider the older "Roads and Recreations" as well. The
Legend apparently has only 8MB of memory - that's not much - enough to
fit e.g. almost all of greater Paris from Metroguide. For larger
trips, you may want to combine with the World Map, so that you get at
least _some_ coverage outside start and destination tiles. (That's
where the basemap would kick in otherwise)

Regards,
Gilles.

Old August 9th 04, 11:49 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
David Lee

Dave Patton wrote ...
Yum wrote...
I've gotten a etrex legend with american base map.
Can I use it in europe by just adding european metroguide, or do I
need to replace basemap ?

You cannot replace the basemap.

True but MetroGuide Europe includes the European Basemap as the overview
map. Whilst this cannot be uploaded to the GPS using MapSource, you can
open and edit the .img file using one of a number of free utilities. In
principle you should be able to extract whatever regions you are interested
in and recompile into detailed maps that can be opened in MapSource (as a
new custom "product") and uploaded to the GPS - packaged along with your
selected Metroguide detailed maps. How much memory this would require (and
so just how much of the European BaseMap you could install in this way) I
don't know but it should allow you to cover a much larger area at low
resolution outside your area of detailed mapping, at the expense of some of
your memory.

David