DoD restrictions on GPS units

Old September 19th 04, 01:31 PM posted to alt.satellite.gps,alt.satellite.gps.garmin,alt.satellite.gps.magellan,sci.geo.satellite-nav
David Harper

Default DoD restrictions on GPS units

(Noel Bachelor) wrote in message ...
On or about 16 Sep 2004 11:53:05 -0700, David Harper allegedly wrote:

And after a day, I get confirmation. He spoketh:
"Sir, the answer is that vertical velocity does not apply. GPS main
function
is for horizontal velocity."

So I'm wondering if it is a common misconception that the velocity
restriction is 3D, or if the guy at Garmin was smoking crack...?

It has often been mentioned here that they only use the horizontal
component for distance and speed display etc, so going uphill or down dale
is still only measured as the distance or speed sideways. It makes sense
then that the velocity restriction would only be applied hoizontally as
well.

I looked at some of the Garmin specs and NMEA approved sentences (as
well as the Garmin sentences) and none of them addressed vertical
velocity, with the one exception of the text output. However, it's
units are meters/sec, and is in the format mm.mm, so it can't read
higher than 99.99 m/s. I would figure that you're right, and the unit
is not limited by vertical velocity because it doesn't really
calculate that directly. Technically you could determine
delta-z/time...

Dave
Old September 19th 04, 03:12 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Jon Parmet

"H.W. Stockman" wrote in message nk.net...
In the late 80's, the only European nations with a net positive
view of the USA were 1) communist satellites

Were those GLONASS satellites?

Old September 19th 04, 05:35 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
H.W. Stockman

"Chuck Tribolet" wrote in message
Hitler didn't invade France until May 12, 1940, so America got in about

1.6
years after France was invaded.

But there was no significant action in France itself for quite some time
after we entererd the war -- a few minor sorties, but that was it.

Old September 21st 04, 03:48 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
[email protected]

According to Karl Pollak the newsgroup:

As for rushing into some wars, had Japan not bombed Pearl
Harbor, who knows if you would have been in any war at
all. The USA did not rush into any battle in WWII, you were
dragged into it, screaming. kicking and clawing.

Had Hitler not declared war on the US after Pearl Harbor, the
US might have stayed in the Pacific, and left Europe to the
Europeans.

It's a hard life being a superpower :-) We get slammed if we
do invade, and we get slammed if we don't invade. If we
invade early, which is when an invasion is most effective, we
get really slammed.
Old October 29th 04, 10:19 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Pablo

'cept we weren't a superpower before 1940.
wrote in message
.. .
According to Karl Pollak the newsgroup:

As for rushing into some wars, had Japan not bombed Pearl
Harbor, who knows if you would have been in any war at
all. The USA did not rush into any battle in WWII, you were
dragged into it, screaming. kicking and clawing.

Had Hitler not declared war on the US after Pearl Harbor, the
US might have stayed in the Pacific, and left Europe to the
Europeans.

It's a hard life being a superpower :-) We get slammed if we
do invade, and we get slammed if we don't invade. If we
invade early, which is when an invasion is most effective, we
get really slammed.

While I agree with your point, I have to point out that we weren't a
superpower before WWII. We were just another 'playa' on the scene. We like
to think of the U.S. being a superpower at all times because, well, we just
don't remember a time when it was different. People have short memories.

Paul

Old October 29th 04, 10:21 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Pablo

"Chris Malcolm" wrote in message

Ah, you mean like Bush Snr's earlier invasion of Iraq?
--

You know, it's amazing. You could be talking about an exhaust system on an
'83 cadillac, and somehow, someone brings up George Bush.

Paul

Old October 30th 04, 03:47 AM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav
Lloyd Bowles

"Gymmy Bob" wrote in message
"Hitler declared war after Pearl Harbour"? I think he was dead at that
time...LOL

Pearl Harbour was on Dec 7 1941. Hitler died on April 30, 1945 as the
allies closed in.