Driver won't install for Holux GM-270 CF GPS.

Old June 29th 03, 12:17 PM posted to alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav,comp.sys.laptops
Raoul Kieffer

Default Driver won't install for Holux GM-270 CF GPS.

Hi Dan,

after several trials I got it to work. Here how I did:
(Sorry if the command descriptions are not quite exact, I'm using a German
version of Windows)

1) During installation of the Driver
- Select hardware from the list (instead of automatic selection).
- Connections (COM and LPT).
- From Disk.
- Select directory with the Holux drivers (I took the V4.04, see Darren's
answer).
- I choose one driver (can't remember which one as I didn't expect it to
work. I think it was the Compact Flash OX16CF950).
- Continue installation even if, according to windows, the driver was not
suitable for hardware.
- Reset computer.

2) Don't forget to select Baudrate 9600 in GPSViewer or to set COM1 to 4800
in the system setup.

Remark: Windows selected COM1 for the driver and shifted the serial
connection of my notebook to COM2.

Good luck!

Raoul

"Dan" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
The Holux GM-270 CF GPS is working fine with my pocketpc. I am attempting
to use it with my notebook running XP Pro. When I insert the unit with my
Compact Flash PC Card Adapter, the light on the Holux GM-270 CF GPS comes
on and XP notifies me that new hardware is detected. Where I am having an
issue is XP recognizing the supplied driver when I try to install the
device manually. I point XP to the folder that contains the driver and I
am told that it's not the right driver. I have tried with the drivers on
the CD and the latest on the web site. No joy! I thought that the

Compact
Flash PC Card Adapter could be defective, so I put my CF memory card in
it. XP recognized it as a removeable drive.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Dan

Old July 2nd 03, 03:28 AM posted to alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav,comp.sys.laptops
Dan

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, "Raoul Kieffer" wrote:

Hi Dan,

after several trials I got it to work. Here how I did:
(Sorry if the command descriptions are not quite exact, I'm using a German
version of Windows)

1) During installation of the Driver
- Select hardware from the list (instead of automatic selection).
- Connections (COM and LPT).
- From Disk.
- Select directory with the Holux drivers (I took the V4.04, see Darren's
answer).
- I choose one driver (can't remember which one as I didn't expect it to
work. I think it was the Compact Flash OX16CF950).

I don't have it connected now, but IIRC it was something like OX16CF950
Communication Services that worked for me.

- Continue installation even if, according to windows, the driver was not
suitable for hardware.
- Reset computer.

2) Don't forget to select Baudrate 9600 in GPSViewer or to set COM1 to 4800
in the system setup.

Remark: Windows selected COM1 for the driver and shifted the serial
connection of my notebook to COM2.

Windows selected COM5 for mine.

Good luck!

It worked. It was actually a i.Trek Compact Flash GPS, which is the same
thing as the Holux GM-270 CF GPS. I am clarifying this now in case someone
with the same problem does a Google to solve the problem. It's obviously a
common problem.

Thanks! I never would have figured it out without your help.

Dan

Raoul

. ..