Voice AutoRouting kits for iPaq H3970 Pocket-PC, choices??

Old July 8th 03, 08:25 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps
footman

Default Voice AutoRouting kits for iPaq H3970 Pocket-PC, choices??

Hi
I recently posted a question on another ng about the availabilty of Maps of
Turkey to use either on my ipaq with handheld GPS or GPS alone.I was
informed that Turkey is particularly sensitive about foreign visitors having
detailed maps and having GPS in particular.
The advice given to me was to stay by the pool with a beer!
Here in UK I use my elderly ipaq 3660 with a pretec CF card GPS and TomTom
navigator software with good results(excluding post codes!)

HTH

Laurence
"Jim Kelly" wrote in message
u...
Greetings!

Talk about being tossed a tough one! An Australian executive colleague
of mine announced that he wants me to choose an AutoRouting Kit for
his Pocket-PC (iPaq H3970 BlueTooth) for his imminent car travels in
USA and Europe. I'm pretty sure that TravRoute Co-Pilot is the only
choice here in Aus (with NavMan available soon). Are either of these
good choices in USA and Europe, or would he be better to consider
buying different software (as well as data) for each continent?

Most European driving will be through Turkey, with less important
needs in the UK, Greek Islands and Egypt.

Your global opinions will be most appreciated . . , and yeah, I wish I
was going too ;-)

Best regards,

Jim Kelly

Ref:

TravRoute Co-Pilot 4:
http://www.alk.com/store/pocketOptio...&bluetooth=yes

NavMan 3450:
http://www.navmanusa.com/land/gps3450/index.html

Old July 8th 03, 08:52 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps
Peter

footman wrote:
Hi
I recently posted a question on another ng about the availabilty of Maps of
Turkey to use either on my ipaq with handheld GPS or GPS alone.I was
informed that Turkey is particularly sensitive about foreign visitors having
detailed maps and having GPS in particular.

The US State Department regularly issues advice to travelers on
special restrictions in foreign countries. The current page on
Turkey:
http://travel.state.gov/turkey.html
has no mention of GPS devices. OTOH, their advice to Russian
travelers gives detailed information on restrictions related to
GPS devices.

Was there any official basis cited for the warning that you were
given or is it likely that this is yet another urban legend?

Old July 8th 03, 09:58 PM posted to sci.geo.satellite-nav,alt.satellite.gps
Darren Griffin

footman wrote:
just anecdotal,but enough to make me think twice about taking the
starring role in Midnight Express The Sequel

And if you can get arrested in Greece for Plane Spotting lord knows what
could happen to you in Turkey