Hiking with gps?.....How?

Old July 8th 03, 11:11 PM posted to alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Peter

Default Hiking with gps?.....How?

Jeffrey Czapla-Myers wrote:
Pablo wrote:

I would either strap it to a hat (bad from a fashion and silliness sense,
but would work) or would attach it to a backback- preferably one with a
physical frame.

If you can find a backpack with a net on the back, you can usually
receive satellite signals quite well. I use this when riding my mountain
bike with a Camelback.

No particular need for the netting - the GPS receiver will work
fine while inside a pack. Just make sure the orientation is
reasonable (upright for the 76 and SporTrak models mentioned
here, but horizontal for the eTrex series) and that you don't
have anything metal or containing water that could slip to block
the antenna.
I frequently put my eMap on top of the other contents of my
fanny-pack while hiking. This isn't quite ideal since my back
will block some of the signals but I still get good continuous
tracklogs.