Hiking with gps?.....How?

Old July 9th 03, 01:23 AM posted to alt.satellite.gps,sci.geo.satellite-nav
yup

Default Hiking with gps?.....How?

HI,
I have a trusty Garmin GPS 12 XL and it came supplied with a carry case. The
unit works fine inside the case. The case has a belt strap which I fastn to
the shoulder strap on my pack, works fine.

"Pablo" wrote in message
I would either strap it to a hat (bad from a fashion and silliness sense,
but would work) or would attach it to a backback- preferably one with a
physical frame.

Paul

Wade Norton wrote in message
news:[email protected]
I would think either one of these units would fit in a pocket and work

while
in there. Aside from kayaking and scuba almost all my other uses of GPS
require the unit to be placed in a pocket.

Give it a try
Wade

"WCH" wrote in message
I just recently bought 2 gps units (Garmin 76S and the Magellan

Sportrak
Pro) to compare them both and then return one w/in the week. I will
primarily be using it for hiking and in the car.

My problem is this....how are these units supposed to be used

practically
on
the trail? Nobody wants to hike up a mountain with 50 lbs. on their

back
while holding a gps in the vertical position so that it can keep a

lock....I
want to be able to put it in my pocket or my backpack, arrive at my
destination, whip out my gps and be able to follow an exact route of

where
I've been. But alas, this does not seem to be plausible comsidering

the
strength of these two units.

Since I have not had these units in the field yet, will someone please

offer
me some insight on how they can apply to my outdoor adventures? If I

want
gps coverage, do I now have to forfeit a hand? Did I buy the wrong
units?...which would be better?

Thanks in advance,
Wes