A New Technique Makes GPS Accurate to an Inch by Hans-Georg Michna
Jamie Condliffe GPS is an utterly pervasive and wonderful technology, but it’s increasingly not accurate enough for modern demands. Now a team of researchers can make it accurate right down to an inch. ... Read the complete article at http://gizmodo.com/a-new-technique-makes-gps-accurate-to-an-inch-1758457807 Hans-Georg
February 17th 16 11:19 PM
by Alan Browne Go to last post
7 357
A New Technique Makes GPS Accurate to an Inch by Hans-Georg Michna
Jamie Condliffe GPS is an utterly pervasive and wonderful technology, but it’s increasingly not accurate enough for modern demands. Now a team of researchers can make it accurate right down to an inch. ... Read the complete article at http://gizmodo.com/a-new-technique-makes-gps-accurate-to-an-inch-1758457807 Hans-Georg
February 11th 16 12:34 PM
by Hans-Georg Michna Go to last post
0 484
NO leap second will be introduced at the end of June 2016 by Sam Wormley[_2_]
INTERNATIONAL EARTH ROTATION AND REFERENCE SYSTEMS SERVICE (IERS) SERVICE INTERNATIONAL DE LA ROTATION TERRESTRE ET DES SYSTEMES DE REFERENCE SERVICE DE LA ROTATION TERRESTRE OBSERVATOIRE DE PARIS 61, Av. de l'Observatoire 75014 PARIS (France)
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 2nd 16 07:49 AM
by oriel36[_2_] Go to last post
15 831
NOTICE ADVISORY TO NAVSTAR USERS (NANU) 2016010 by Sam Wormley[_2_]
2016010------------------------ NOTICE ADVISORY TO NAVSTAR USERS (NANU) 2016010 SUBJ: SVN58 (PRN12) FORECAST OUTAGE SUMMARY JDAY 029/0712 - JDAY 029/1356 1. NANU TYPE: FCSTSUMM NANU NUMBER: 2016010 NANU DTG: 291357Z JAN 2016 REFERENCE NANU: 2016007 REF NANU DTG: 222007Z JAN 2016 SVN: 58
January 29th 16 01:19 PM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
0 426
Air Force Official Press Release - GPS Ground System Anomaly by Sam Wormley[_2_]
Air Force Official Press Release - GPS Ground System Anomaly On 26 January at 12:49 a.m. MST, the 2nd Space Operations Squadron at the 50th Space Wing, Schriever Air Force Base, Colo., verified users were experiencing GPS timing issues. Further investigation revealed an issue in the Global Positioning System ground software which only affected the time on legacy L-band signals....
January 28th 16 07:33 PM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
0 632
LightSquared Seeks FCC Approval for GPS ‘Coexistence’ Plan -- Presses Fight Against DoT Power-Limit Study by Sam Wormley[_2_]
LightSquared Seeks FCC Approval for GPS Coexistence Plan Presses Fight Against DoT Power-Limit Study http://www.insidegnss.com/node/4785 Having settled its lawsuits against a trio of GPS receiver manufacturers, would-be broadband provider New LightSquared is now pointing to those settlements to support its assertion that it is fully addressing GPS interference issues. The...
January 16th 16 02:25 PM
by Alan Browne Go to last post
1 484
New USAF RFP published for GPS III satellites by Sam Wormley[_2_]
New USAF RFP published for GPS III satellites http://gpsworld.com/new-usaf-rfp-published-for-gps-iii-satellites/ SMC issued a request for proposals on Jan. 8, with rather complicated terms. The first eight GPS III satellites are already under contract, and two have been built, but delivery and launch schedules have dragged. The Air Force incorporated several other payload ...
January 12th 16 08:02 PM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
0 441
OT | We are a clear and present danger by Sam Wormley[_2_]
OT | We are a clear and present danger http://edu-observatory.org/olli/HCS/index.html Every Winter -- I try to figure a better way to teach Home Computer Security. This year I point out that: WE ARE THE WEAKEST LINK WE ARE A CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER
January 6th 16 02:31 PM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
3 681
NASA and the U.S. Air Force Test a New Ground-Based GPS by Sam Wormley[_2_]
NASA and the U.S. Air Force Test a New Ground-Based GPS http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/nasa-and-the-u-s-air-force-test-a-new-ground-based-gps/ Locata's system resolves this issue by layering in an independent network of transceivers that communicate over ground. A test last year in Washington, D.C., by the U.S. Naval Observatory, the division responsible for maintaining...
December 29th 15 06:47 PM
by Alan Browne Go to last post
1 466
Directions 2016: GPS — dedicated to excellence by Sam Wormley[_2_]
Directions 2016: GPS dedicated to excellence http://gpsworld.com/directions-2016-gps-dedicated-to-excellence/ The year 2015 was an exciting one to assume leadership of the Global Positioning Systems Directorate. Ive witnessed the men and women of our team accomplish some amazing things, across all of our efforts to modernize the constellation, and would like to take a moment to...
December 29th 15 06:43 PM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
0 431
General Relativity & Curved Spacetime Explained! | Space Time | PBSDigital Studios by Sam Wormley[_2_]
General Relativity & Curved Spacetime Explained! | Space Time | PBS Digital Studios https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwhKZ3fd9JA We've been through the first few episodes of our crash course on general relativity, and came out alive! But it's officially "time" for CURVED spacetime. Join Gabe on this weeks episode of PBS Space Time as he discusses Newton and Einstein's dispute over...
December 11th 15 09:53 PM
by Alan Browne Go to last post
2 504
Are Space and Time An Illusion? | Space Time | PBS Digital Studios by Sam Wormley[_2_]
Are Space and Time An Illusion? | Space Time | PBS Digital Studios https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YycAzdtUIko SPACE, TIME, AND THE NATURE OF REALITY. This episode of Space Time is actually about Spacetime, so pull up a chair, grab your favorite snack, and buckle up, because this episode is going to be a TRIP. Gabe explores what reality is, what "time" is, and why what you think ...
December 5th 15 04:52 PM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
0 433
What €250 buys in a GPS these days by Alan Browne
A droolworthy spec. http://www.aaronia-shop.com/products/gps-logger-incl-compass-gyro-tilt-accelerometer.html - GPS (66 channels; no indication of SBAS, but 1.8m accuracy claimed - if based on the LS20031 receiver, then it would have SBAS). - 3D compass (2° precision claimed; accuracy not specified) - 3D accelerometer with 3 mg resolution (accuracy not specified)
November 24th 15 11:26 PM
by Alan Browne Go to last post
8 665
ULA won’t bid on GPS III launch contract by Sam Wormley[_2_]
ULA wont bid on GPS III launch contract http://gpsworld.com/ula-wont-bid-on-gps-iii-launch-contract/ The United Launch Alliance (ULA) declined Nov. 16 to submit a bid to launch the first GPS III satellite, leaving the field wide open for commercial launch service SpaceX, reports Space News. The first GPS III satellite is expected to launch in 2018.
November 17th 15 09:05 PM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
0 477
Galileo Satellites Set for Year-Long Einstein Experiment by Sam Wormley[_2_]
Galileo Satellites Set for Year-Long Einstein Experiment http://gpsworld.com/galileo-satellites-set-for-year-long-einstein-experiment/
November 12th 15 08:12 PM
by Terje Mathisen[_3_] Go to last post
6 701
Lockheed Martin Advances Threat Protection on GPS Control Segment by Sam Wormley[_2_]
Lockheed Martin Advances Threat Protection on GPS Control Segment http://gpsworld.com/lockheed-martin-advances-threat-protection-on-gps-control-segment/ The GPS Intrusion Protection Reinforcement (GIPR) technology refresh is part of the Air Forces strategy to modernize the current GPS system and to ensure the availability of its services for more than one billion global military,...
November 10th 15 09:17 PM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
0 516
Backup plan - US Navy teaching celestial navigation by Alan Browne
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-celestial-navigation-20151025-story.html
October 25th 15 06:31 PM
by J. J. Lodder Go to last post
1 542
Last of 12 GPS IIF Satellites Arrives at Cape Canaveral by Sam Wormley[_2_]
Last of 12 GPS IIF Satellites Arrives at Cape Canaveral http://gpsworld.com/last-of-12-gps-iif-satellites-arrives-at-cape-canaveral/ The last Air Force GPS IIF in a block of 12 satellites was delivered to Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida, from Boeings manufacturing facility in El Segundo, Calif., Oct. 8 via a C-17 Globemaster III. A crowd from the government and industry...
October 14th 15 07:28 PM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
0 516
Do you know how to load USGS topo maps into Android OsmAnd~ by Mitch Kaufmann
I asked for too much in my previous thread, so I just want to ask ONE question in this thread. Q: Do you know how to load offline USGS topo maps into OsmAnd~ (v.1.8.3)? All I need is three things on my mobile device for backcountry hikes: 1. Offline USGS topo maps 2. Ability to SAVE tracks (best if old tracks & new tracks coexist) 3. Ability to FOLLOW a track (or guide to a point), preferably...
October 7th 15 10:34 PM
by Mitch Kaufmann Go to last post
8 775
Does anyone here draw tracks with desktop detail & then follow onmobile devices? by Mitch Kaufmann
I asked this over in the Android & iOS & GPS groups, but, so far, I have failed to find an answer that satisfies the simple need. My desktop platforms are Windows & Linux. My mobile platforms are Android & iOS. Given that, does anyone here do the following? 1. Draw desired tracks by hand (hopefully at USGS detail on a desktop) 2. Transfer those tracks to a mobile device 3. Follow those tracks,...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 7th 15 08:57 PM
by Mitch Kaufmann Go to last post

From The