EGNOS testing updated for official launch and PRN126 by Keith
Just a quick note to say that I have updated my article on EGNOS side by side testing with consumer receivers. In spite of the official launch of EGNOS and the switch to PRN126/NMEA39 there has been no notable improvement. Even wore, SiRFstarIII receivers don't even appear to be capable of getting a DGPS fix with PRN126. http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=185&page=6
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 11th 06 09:34 PM
by cpavia Go to last post
16 454
a question on 60csx's altimeter by Taru
Hi, I got a Garmin 60csx, which incoporates a barometric altimeter. I wonder when is this used? I mean when I can get a 3D GPS lock, the GPS can also provide the altitude data, so I wonder when the barometric altimeter will ever be used? Thanks
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 11th 06 02:39 PM
by Markus Schaub Go to last post
19 456
force a route in MapSource by [email protected]
There is a way across the border from Holland to Belgium not far from where I live. I take it frequently on my tours into Belgium, but somehow this stretch of tarmac is not registered in MapSource. Is there a way to 'create' a connection between two existing roads, thereby forcing a route possibility? The details a from N50 45.299 E5 41.540 to N50 45.308 E41.544 Both roads are called...
July 11th 06 08:38 AM
icd-gps-060 by ralph
Anyone know where I can find the interface/standard document on icd-gps-060 online? Many thanks.
July 11th 06 03:08 AM
by ralph Go to last post
3 350
Is it Metroguide USA 4.0 or 3.0? by [email protected]
I hear people say this is the last version of Metroguide before Garmin switched map vendor, and the last routable metroguide on the receiver. What is the data version of this map as shown by help-about-product info? Does it really say 4.0? What's the copyright year? 2002? I want to make sure I am getting the right thing from craigslist. Thanks.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 10th 06 09:22 PM
by Jack Yeazel Go to last post
12 503
Why does Garmin use DD-MMM-YY? by [email protected]
Anyone know why Garmin choose to use DD-MMM-YY in their GPS? This shows up on the 60cs's waypoint note field, and on the main menu. This is neither the ISO format, nor the American format. Garmin is an American company so I'd assumed if they want to pick a date format, they might choose the American format, but since technically MMM-DD-YY is kind of strange, the next logical choice would be the...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
July 10th 06 05:58 PM
Error message: The system can't find navigate the software in the Flash by saljar
Hi, Did you ever get your Initial navigation system (GD-70x) to wok. I am now getting the same error message “The System can’t find navigate the software in the flash, …) Thanks, -- saljar
July 10th 06 05:45 PM
by saljar Go to last post
0 220
CS v CN by Doug
The story goes that Garmin is phasing out CS (City Select) and is moving to CN (City Navigator). It is true that CS is still at V7 while CN is now V8 and that even in North Carolina there are new roads that are in CN but not CS. However Garmin continues to package CS V7 with many of their products. This would force me to pay another $100+ to get current maps for a new unit which really...
July 10th 06 02:32 PM
by nathantw Go to last post
5 214
Looking for Ashtech DGPS receivers by aaa
I am looking for replacement units for Ashtech DNS-12 Reference Stations and SCA-12/IM Integrity Monitors for a client who operates a DGPS marine radiobeacon network. Is there anyone out there with a stash of these units that they might be willing to sell? Any operators of marine DGPS radiobeacon networks out who have any leads on where I can find these obsolete units? I've already tried...
July 10th 06 04:19 AM
by aaa Go to last post
0 163
DGPS OEM "out of the box" by [email protected]
Hello, I'm looking for a DGPS OEM, with very high accuracy. I have been looking at Trimble for AgGPS132 . But this is not an OEM. I need a 12-channel receiver with built-in DGPS. I have also been looking to SLX2c. Could you tell me more high quality "built-in" DGPS OEMs ?
July 9th 06 06:39 PM
Geko 301 dead after deleting all waypoints by [email protected]
Dear all, This afternoon I tried to delete all waypoints on my Garmin Geko 301. Unfortunately, my GPS went dead during the operation, and never came alife again. I've tried switching it on, and the welcome screen appears for a fraction of a seconds but then it switches off immediately. I have also tried with new batteries, and also on external power but this didn't help. I've also tried the...
July 9th 06 06:32 PM
Cracking the GPS Galileo Satellite by Marc Brett
See: http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/07/09/050219 Cracking the GPS Galileo Satellite "Newswise is reporting the the encryption in the Galileo GPS signal has been broken. The pseudo random number generator used to obscure the information stored in the Galileo GPS signal has been broken. From the article: 'Members of Cornell's Global Positioning System (GPS) Laboratory have cracked the...
July 9th 06 03:34 PM
by Harrie Go to last post
3 267
Get tracks from Google Earth - how? by Domagoj Malovic
I would like to be able to draw a track in Google Earth and transfer it to my GPS. Is there a way to do it? I know the plus version has the drawing options, but can what you draw on the map be converted into a track to be followed on one's GPS device? Thanks for your wisdom, wish there was a testing period in GE so I could try those options before spending my money. Domi
July 9th 06 10:35 AM
by Nick Hopton Go to last post
1 164
CN7 Install problems by LouW
Hi, I have CN v7 and want to install on a new system. I know there is a way to bypass the test for previous versions, but I have forgotten the secret, and Garmin won't be open until Monday. Can anyone help? thanks, Lou
July 9th 06 04:29 AM
by Jerry M Go to last post
4 247
Lat/Lon to Local Time by Anna
I am writing a program that must calculate local time from latitude/longitude. I realize this is not a trivial undertaking, given the social and political issues of time zones. However, it seems to me that there are programs I've seen that surely must know the algorithm. Table based lookup is highly undesirable but will do if there are no other solutions available. Does anyone know how this...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 8th 06 10:52 PM
Dat to ssf conversion by [email protected]
Is it possible to convert a Trimble Dual-Frequency Data File (dat) to the Trimble Standard Storage Format (ssf) file type?
July 8th 06 02:11 PM
OT - BBC NEWS | England | Hampshire | Ordnance Survey staff to strike by Nick
"Staff at the national mapping agency Ordnance Survey are to stage a 24-hour strike in a row over pay. More than 1,000 union members will walk out of the Southampton headquarters, as well as other UK offices, on Tuesday." More at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/5159480.stm -- Nick in Northallerton Also @ www.whelan.me.uk
July 8th 06 09:05 AM
by Dennis Pogson Go to last post
2 160
Garmin i-series storage/capacity? by Mike S.
I'm looking at the Garmin i5 and comparing it to the other models of this series; and am confused about the differences other than type of display. The specs say the i5 comes with a detailed US database pre-loaded; the other models come with a DVD + unlock code, and a 128 MB transflash card. From what I read, the supplied card certainly cannot hold all the data for the continent; perhaps 1-3...
July 8th 06 03:20 AM
by Paul Go to last post
9 291
Garmin protocol spec sample header file? by [email protected]
Where can I find a sample .h file that has all the data types declared in the garmin protocol spec? I don't want to type all that in... ;) Thanks. Raymond
July 7th 06 10:34 PM
by Bruce E. Stemplewski Go to last post
1 147
Anyone recommend a Satnav with TMC ? by dylan
What models would you recommend ? For use in the UK. Cheers
July 7th 06 06:27 PM
by dylan Go to last post

From The