Housing RNS 510 by Mario Vidovic
who is building the housing / front frame for rns 510
February 6th 12 01:01 PM
by Mario Vidovic Go to last post
0 216
8 more Galileo satellites to be built by claudegps
Seems that EU has ordered other 8 satellites for the Galileo constellation. By 2015, there should be 26 satellites for Galileo in space. 4 IOV + 14 IOC + 8 new sates just awarded I was a bit skeptic that the EU could finance so quickly more satellites than the 18 alread planned, but I was wrong :) (and Alan was right, if I remember well)
February 5th 12 12:57 PM
by macpacheco Go to last post
8 1,213
Navstar has issued a correction to NANU 2012003 on SVN-49 by Sam Wormley[_2_]
http://www.gpsworld.com/GNSS%20System/GPS%20Modernization/news/navstar-issues-correction-svn-49-nanu-12582 Navstar has issued a correction to NANU 2012003 on SVN-49, which was issued on January 30. "In an effort to improve constellation sustainment, on or about 01FEB2012, SVN-49 will resume transmitting an L-band signal using PRN-24 as a test asset. Upon completion of the test event,...
February 4th 12 03:10 PM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
0 174
Europe Seeks Space Cooperation With China by Ed M.
That's the headline on this story in Der Spiegel: http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,812273,00.html "Peter Hintze, a member of the center-right Christian Democratic Union (CDU) and the chancellor's space travel advisor, . . . would like to convince the Chinese to become involved with the Galileo navigation system . . . " "The carrier rocket industry is also threatened. The Europeans
February 3rd 12 09:42 PM
by Ed M. Go to last post
0 234
France fines Google for providing free maps by Wolfgang S. Rupprecht[_17_]
A French court has ruled that Google's free Google Maps application API is anti-competitive and has ordered the company to pay €500,000 to Bottin Cartographes, a for-pay map company, as well as a €15,000 fine. http://boingboing.net/2012/02/02/french-court-rules-that-its.html As the above article mentions, what happens when OpenStreetMap produces the same kind of free...
February 3rd 12 12:56 PM
by Ted Ferenc Go to last post
3 240
NOTICE ADVISORY TO NAVSTAR USERS (NANU) 2012004 by Sam Wormley[_2_]
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/gps/geninfo/NANUabbr.htm http://celestrak.com/GPS/NANU/2012/ http://celestrak.com/GPS/status/2012/ NOTICE ADVISORY TO NAVSTAR USERS (NANU) 2012004 SUBJ: SVN41 (PRN14) FORECAST OUTAGE JDAY 038/1100 - JDAY 038/2300 1. NANU TYPE: FCSTDV NANU NUMBER: 2012004 NANU DTG: 021832Z FEB 2012
February 2nd 12 06:42 PM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
0 190
Important: Public Notice from the FCC by Sam Wormley[_2_]
Important: Public Notice from the FCC http://www.gpsworld.com/GNSS%20System/fcc-request-ls-comment-12554 PUBLIC NOTICE DA 12-103 January 27, 2012 INTERNATIONAL BUREAU ESTABLISHES PLEADING CYCLE FOR LIGHTSQUARED PETITION FOR DECLARATORY RULING IB Docket No. 11-109 ET Docket No. 10-142 Comment Date: February 27, 2012 Reply Comment Date: March 13, 2012 On December 20, 2011,...
February 2nd 12 01:51 AM
by Ed M. Go to last post
1 265
Big Solar Storm, Little GPS Effect by Sam Wormley[_2_]
FROM THE NEWS Big Solar Storm, Little GPS Effect Inside GNSS 27 January 2012 Although it was billed as the strongest for the past eight years and coincided nicely with the American Meteorological Society (AMS) annual meeting in New Oreans, this week's solar storm apparently had a limited effect on GPS receivers and users.
February 1st 12 11:24 PM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
0 171
The Return of SVN49 by Sam Wormley[_2_]
The Return of SVN49 Inside GNSS 27 January 2012 In the U.S. Air Force's transmitting an L-band signal next week to continue exploring options for its regular operation. However, the signal will not be considered usable or "healthy" nor included in the broadcast almanac. A Notice Advisory to NAVSTAR Users (NANU) issued today (January 27, 2012), states, "On approximately 01 FEB...
February 1st 12 11:23 PM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
0 173
LightSquared pushes back against Grassley probe into FCC by Alan Browne
http://news.businessweek.com/article.asp?documentKey=1376-LYQ6NL0UQVI901-2UFHKFFBF7BQIP484H6OD34CQN or http://tinyurl.com/7h3lljk -- "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty." Douglas Adams - (Could have been a GPS engineer).
February 1st 12 10:23 PM
by Alan Browne Go to last post
0 190
Important: FCC Asks If You and GPS Should Be Protected from Interference by Sam Wormley[_2_]
FCC Asks If You and GPS Should Be Protected from Interference http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/comment_search/input?z=wtyos We invite comment on LightSquareds petition, and establish a pleading cycle. Thus spake the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), groping for a way forward in the ongoing LightSquared/GPS conflict. The FCC has opened an Internet docket for public comment on the...
February 1st 12 04:20 PM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
0 211
Private snooping with GPS by Alan Browne
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/29/us/gps-devices-are-being-used-to-track-cars-and-errant-spouses.html?ref=technology or http://goo.gl/TAzjz -- "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty." Douglas Adams - (Could have been a GPS engineer).
February 1st 12 02:12 PM
by Alan Browne Go to last post
0 233
LightSquared on notice from Sprint by Alan Browne
http://tinyurl.com/7qcutem -- "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty." Douglas Adams - (Could have been a GPS engineer).
February 1st 12 12:20 AM
by HIPAR Go to last post
1 229
FCC "Pleading Cycle" for L^2 petition for decl. ruling. by Alan Browne
FCC DA 12-103 QUOTE In the instant Petition, LightSquared in essence seeks a declaratory ruling that, provided ATC operations are conducted in accordance within the Commissions technical parameters, commercially available GPS devices are not protected against harmful interference caused by those ATC operations.
January 30th 12 07:03 PM
by Alan Browne Go to last post
0 208
Disposal of SVN30 by HIPAR
The two line orbital elements for SVN30 indicate it was placed into a disposal orbit. GPS IIF-3 launch is tentatively scheduled during September 2012. Let's see what breaks during the interim. Getting behind in the satellite count? --- CHAS
January 29th 12 09:26 PM
by Alan Browne Go to last post
4 326
US SC upholds privacy - GPS tracking requires warrant. by Alan Browne
Unanimous. However, there is a split on grounds. We hold that the governments installation of a G.P.S. device on a targets vehicle, and its use of that device to monitor the vehicles movements, constitutes a search, Justice Antonin Scalia wrote for the majority. Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. and Justices Anthony M. Kennedy, Clarence Thomas and Sonia Sotomayor...
January 29th 12 01:12 AM
by Alan Browne Go to last post
8 363
LightSquared GPS Interference Controversy: Senate Investigation Wont End with FCC Decision by Sam Wormley[_2_]
LightSquared GPS Interference Controversy: Senate Investigation Wont End with FCC Decision http://www.insidegnss.com/node/2936 Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, has been looking into whether the FCC fast-tracked its review of the Virginia firms proposal to build a 4G broadband network with signals that would be, tests now show, powerful enough to interfere dramatically with GPS receivers. ...
January 28th 12 05:57 PM
by HIPAR Go to last post
2 311
Sat Nav repairs by Gizmofeed
I recently had my sat nav repaired after I dropped it and smashed the screen and it something inside as it was rattling, I contacted this company http://www.thesatnav.co.uk/ who were really good, I got to speak to an engineer and could explain what I had done, he arranged to collect my sat nav and repaired it and returned to me in just over a week. I was really happy and was much cheaper than I...
January 27th 12 06:34 PM
by Wolfgang S. Rupprecht[_17_] Go to last post
2 443
NOTICE ADVISORY TO NAVSTAR USERS (NANU) 2012003 NANU TYPE: GENERAL by Sam Wormley[_2_]
NOTICE ADVISORY TO NAVSTAR USERS (NANU) 2012003 NANU TYPE: GENERAL *** GENERAL MESSAGE TO ALL GPS USERS *** On approximately 01 FEB 2012 SVN49 will resume transmitting L-band utilizing PRN24. At L-band activation, SVN49/PRN24 will be unusable until further notice. Additionally, no broadcast almanacs will include SVN49/PRN24. Future NANUs will inform users of any changes to the above-stated...
January 27th 12 04:43 PM
by Alan Browne Go to last post
2 248
GPS Tracks Costa Concordia by HIPAR
Here's the track leading the ship into the rocks: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9028060/Cruise-disaster-Costa-Concordia-final-route-plotted-from-GPS-navigation-data.html --- CHAS
January 25th 12 07:07 AM
by Hans-Georg Michna Go to last post

From The