WAAS question by isw
I have a GPS puck that I connect to my cellphone (running a Java app) via Bluetooth. The GPS claims to be able to use WAAS, and I don't doubt it, but I'd like to confirm that it's working. I think that, if I knew the PRNs of the birds the thing used, that would prove it, but unfortunately, the Java app (GPSMid) doesn't provide that info. Is there some other way to find out? GPSMid displays...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 21st 10 10:07 PM
by Keith Go to last post
14 596
Request Comments: iPhone GPS Performance Compared to dedicated GPSreceiver of comparable price by Sam Wormley[_2_]
Request Comments: iPhone GPS Performance Compared to dedicated GPS receiver of comparable price. I'm interested in user experiences with the iPhone GPS compared to dedicated GPS Receivers. Thanks -Sam
May 20th 10 08:28 AM
by Ed M. Go to last post
7 491
Carrier-Phase Anomalies Detected on SVN-48 PRN07 by Sam Wormley[_2_]
Carrier-Phase Anomalies Detected on SVN-48 May 17, 2010 By: Brady O' Hanlon, Mark L. Psiaki, Steven P. Powell, Paul M. Kintner Jr. Anomalous behavior of the L1 C/A-code carrier phase has been detected on PRN07/SVN-48. The anomalies are sudden step-like changes of phase by about 10 degrees/5 millimeters. These steps are followed by negative steps of the same magnitude that restore the original...
May 18th 10 10:03 PM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
0 234
NOAA's Modernized Positioning System Key to Improved Mapping, Emergencyand Land Planning by Sam Wormley[_2_]
May 14, 2010 NOAA PRESS RELEASE NOAA's Modernized Positioning System Key to Improved Mapping, Emergency and Land Planning NOAA's National Geodetic Survey - the official U.S. government source for determining precise latitude, longitude and elevation - is undergoing a modernization effort that takes into account advances in GPS and other technologies. The effort is important to ...
May 18th 10 06:52 PM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
0 240
Next-Generation GPS Satellite Ready for Launch by Sam Wormley[_2_]
May 13, 2010 FROM THE NEWS Next-Generation GPS Satellite Ready for Launch BY: BEN IANNOTTA Air Force Times 13 May, 2010 When the first of the Boeing-built Global Positioning System 2F satellites blasts
May 18th 10 06:51 PM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
0 212
NOTICE ADVISORY TO NAVSTAR USERS (NANU) 2010093 by Sam Wormley[_2_]
Ref: http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/gps/geninfo/NANUabbr.htm NOTICE ADVISORY TO NAVSTAR USERS (NANU) 2010093 SUBJ: SVN47 (PRN22) FORECAST OUTAGE SUMMARY JDAY 134/1154 - JDAY 134/1853 1. NANU TYPE: FCSTSUMM NANU NUMBER: 2010093 NANU DTG: 141910Z MAY 2010 REFERENCE NANU: 2010088 REF NANU DTG: 061433Z MAY 2010 SVN: 47
May 14th 10 08:08 PM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
0 238
10 years without selective availability by HIPAR
Setting SA to zero marked the difference between reliance on GPS for not getting lost and using it for innovative civilian applications. Despite a pledge from the US not to use SA again, I still see paranoid references to its reinstatement. 1 May was the tenth anniversary. http://pnt.gov/ --- CHAS
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
May 13th 10 07:43 PM
by Nicholas[_2_] Go to last post
11 565
A New Perspective: SVN-49 and L5 Revisited by Sam Wormley[_2_]
A New Perspective: SVN-49 and L5 Revisited http://www.gpsworld.com/defense/a-new-perspective-svn-49-and-l5-revisited-9933?print=1 "It seems that everywhere I go these days, someone wants to discuss the future of SVN-49 or IIR-20(M) which, although it has PRN01 assigned and is enroute to its new orbit location as part of the enhanced 24 constellation, has never been set healthy. Everyone has...
May 13th 10 12:09 AM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
0 242
Road distance by Luis Quesada[_2_]
Dear all, Is there a way of computing the *road* distance (i.e., the distance that you would travel if you were to use the road network) between two GPS coordinates automatically (e.g., from Python using)? Cheers, Luis
May 11th 10 09:13 PM
by Alan Browne Go to last post
4 378
What is the best GPS for us? by k
We are a group of students traveling to Central America for an engineering project. We have little to no experience with handheld GPS units and were wondering which would be optimum for our application. Objective: -create a map of a particular village with houses and other important infrastructure included -calculate distances -note important elevations (an embedded barometric altimeter would be
May 10th 10 01:52 AM
by [email protected][_2_] Go to last post
5 377
PREVIEWED - Garmin's impressive new nuvi 3790T by Keith
"The Garmin nuvi 3790T is a very impressive device, because of its sleek hardware that's already earned it the "The Blade" nickname, but also because of it's sheer responsiveness unseen on a GPS unit so far. To navigate the menus but particularly for the map display while navigating or scrolling the map in exploring mode with "pinching" and "expanding"...and the software isn't even final..and...
May 7th 10 09:51 PM
by Keith Go to last post
0 348
Speedy IIF Will Get There Faster by Sam Wormley[_2_]
Speedy IIF Will Get There Faster May 4, 2010 http://www.gpsworld.com/gnss-system/news/speedy-iif-will-get-there-faster-9901?print=1 Just before midnight on Thursday, May 20, the first of a new generation has a date with destiny on the Cape Canaveral launch pad. GPS spacecraft IIF-1 has a launch window extending from 11:29 to 11:48 p.m., Eastern daylight time. Itís in a hurry. Instead of...
May 4th 10 09:20 PM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
0 261
[NOVA] "Mt. St. Helens: Back From the Dead" by Alan Browne
PBS usually 20:00 local (US & Canada). May have some references to GPS monitoring. -- gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
May 4th 10 08:02 PM
by Alan Browne Go to last post
0 263
Fed up with Garmin Mapsource locking/restrictions by Vartan Narinian
Forgive the rant, but I only just found out about the upgrade policy on second units. My Garmin Quest has been using City Select Europe v7 since new. I have also used the 'Unlock Additional Garmin Unit' option and have unlocked the City Select Europe v7 for my GPSMAP 60c. City Select Europe has been discontinued in favour of City Navigator Europe, and a few days ago I paid my $75 (plus tax)...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
May 4th 10 04:52 PM
by Cold Turkey Go to last post
20 909
Septentrio Reports Frequency Spikes in Compass M1 Satellite Signals by Sam Wormley[_2_]
Septentrio Reports Frequency Spikes in Compass M1 Satellite Signals http://www.insidegnss.com/node/2061
April 30th 10 03:30 AM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
0 228
U.S. Air Force Prepares First IIF GPS Satellite for Launch on May21 by Sam Wormley[_2_]
April 20, 2010 FROM THE NEWS U.S. Air Force Prepares First IIF GPS Satellite for Launch on May 21 Inside GNSS 19 April, 2010 Launch of the first GPS Block IIF (follow-on) satellite is currently scheduled for May 21 from Cape Canaveral aboard a Delta-IV Evolved Expendable Launch
April 29th 10 10:02 PM
by HIPAR Go to last post
1 278
A Satellite, Some Signal Specs, and, Sorry, A Step Sideways by Sam Wormley[_2_]
A Satellite, Some Signal Specs, and, Sorry, A Step Sideways April 28, 2010 By: Alan Cameron GNSS Design & Test Newsletter, April 2010 http://www.gpsworld.com/gnss-system/a-satellite-some-signal-specs-and-sorry-a-step-sideways-9880?print=1 Galileo has forged ahead on two fronts, satellite readiness and signal specification. The payload for the first in-orbit validation (IOV) Galileo satellite...
April 29th 10 09:43 PM
by Alan Browne Go to last post
2 231
NOTICE ADVISORY TO NAVSTAR USERS (NANU) 2010081 by Sam Wormley[_2_]
Ref: http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/gps/geninfo/NANUabbr.htm NOTICE ADVISORY TO NAVSTAR USERS (NANU) 2010081 SUBJ: SVN56 (PRN16) FORECAST OUTAGE JDAY 123/1200 - JDAY 124/0000 1. NANU TYPE: FCSTMX NANU NUMBER: 2010081 NANU DTG: 282247Z APR 2010 REFERENCE NANU: N/A REF NANU DTG: N/A
April 29th 10 06:11 PM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
1 237
How to determin GPS Chipset in the Palm Pre Plus by Chull13
Any sugestions on how to determin GPS Chipset in the Palm Pre Plus? It picks up signles inside a building - so it can;t be too old but it sure does stink when it comes to accuracy outdoors. Uo to a mile off at time and consitantly off by 1/2 mile!! Speculation is that Verizon has dummied it down rather than disabled it like they usually do, but it sounds like some from Sprint are not much better...
April 29th 10 11:23 AM
by Chull13 Go to last post
3 419
CarPC by [email protected]
Hello group. This has probably been posted many times but i am here to ask again as a newbi to the group. I want to build a CarPC for my truck. Biggest reason is that all the aftermarket in dash head units have cheezy GPS. Including my Pioneer AVIC-D3. It does everything I need with audio/video, but the navigation system seriously sucks. I need to be able to save my routes/track from roads...
April 29th 10 12:11 AM
by Stephen H. Fischer Go to last post

From The