The Apple iPad Factor by Sam Wormley[_2_]
The Apple iPad Factor February 1, 2010 By: Eric Gakstatter Last month, I wrote about the PDA vs. Tablet war. The tablet computer has been around for a long time and struggled to gain widespread acceptance. I also wrote about how 2010 will be a decisive year for the tablet computer. I guess my timing was right: with the introduction of the Apple iPad
February 6th 10 02:59 PM
by Alan Browne Go to last post
6 394
The GPS Civil Monitoring Performance Specification by Sam Wormley[_2_]
Modernization Milestone The GPS Civil Monitoring Performance Specification http://insidegnss.com/node/1823 n recent years, the U.S. Department of Transportation (DoT) has allocated funds to pay for the civil share of GPS modernization efforts, including the costs of monitoring the civil GPS signals — both legacy signals and those that will be implemented over the next few years. In order to...
February 4th 10 05:06 PM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
0 180
Magellan car power cord by Robert A. Fink, M. D.
I have a Magellan Maestro 4050 GPS which works fine in virtually all vehicles that I have tried to use it in. Recently, however, when renting a car (a 2010 Chevy Impala), I found that the cord, when plugged into either of the several outlets on the car, did not conduct power to the GPS. The GPS turned on, and, after a minute or two, gave me a warning that it did not have power, and then shut...
February 4th 10 08:51 AM
by Mike Coon[_2_] Go to last post
2 327
POI Mega File for Streets & Trips (Updated for Feb. 2010) by Marvin Hlavac
POI Mega File for Microsoft Streets and Trips 2010 New in this version: * Rest Area Updates (Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia and West Virginia) * Sams Club and Sams Club with Fuel updated * Escapee DAYSEND campgrounds updated * Sweet Tomatoes Restaurants added
February 2nd 10 10:29 PM
by Marvin Hlavac Go to last post
0 227
Bushnell GPS by Ted Edwards
I see in a local add that Bushnell has a hand-held GPSR that _claims_ to be able to use "Satellite Photography". Does this mean that I can use maps from Google maps or other download maps? My biggest complaint with my Garmin 76Cx is the limited up-to-date maps. Have any of you tried one of these units? Ted
February 1st 10 06:57 PM
by Ted Edwards Go to last post
2 300
RTK delay in transmission by Dave
Hello, I've been thinking about RTK base stations and wondering how delays in sending effect overall error and also how fast (baud) is RTK signals ?
February 1st 10 09:01 AM
USAF Chief - Over Reliance on GPS by HIPAR
'Gen. Norton Schwartz, Air Force Chief of Staff, told a conference organized by Tuft University’s Institute for Foreign Policy Analysis that GPS signals are particularly vulnerable in time of war since enemies know of the reliance U.S. forces place on its highly accurate signal'. http://www.dodbuzz.com/2010/01/20/back-away-from-gps-af-chief/ --- CHAS
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 31st 10 07:57 PM
by Alan Browne Go to last post
10 596
GPS Control Software Update Shows Glitch by Sam Wormley[_2_]
GPS Control Software Update Shows Glitch http://www.gpsworld.com/gnss-system/news/gps-control-software-update-shows-glitch-9414?print=1 January 21, 2010 The GPS AEP Command and Control operational software update previously reported enables new capabilities for the warfighter. The new capabilities are not something we can discuss in this venue. They are considerable, but require absolute...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
January 29th 10 11:58 AM
by jmfbahciv Go to last post
23 903
BBC News - Lighthouses could be switched off under new plans by NickTheBatMan
Beachy Head lighthouse in Sussex, along with four others around England, may soon be switched off under new proposals. BBC News investigates how modern technology has made these once-vital buildings redundant. More at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8471030.stm
January 29th 10 06:01 AM
by NickTheBatMan Go to last post
0 273
Another way to use embedded GPS by Sam Wormley[_2_]
Another way to use embedded GPS -- Worth watching http://www.apple.com/ipad/ipad-video/#large
January 28th 10 06:38 PM
by Ed M. Go to last post
1 329
NOTICE ADVISORY TO NAVSTAR USERS (NANU) 2010014 by Sam Wormley[_2_]
NOTICE ADVISORY TO NAVSTAR USERS (NANU) 2010014 SUBJ: SVN53 (PRN17) FORECAST OUTAGE JDAY 033/1015 - JDAY 033/2215 1. NANU TYPE: FCSTDV NANU NUMBER: 2010014 NANU DTG: 281757Z JAN 2010 REFERENCE NANU: N/A REF NANU DTG: N/A SVN: 53 PRN: 17 START JDAY: 033
January 28th 10 06:16 PM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
0 199
NOTICE ADVISORY TO NAVSTAR USERS (NANU) 2010013 by Sam Wormley[_2_]
Ref: http://gps.afspc.af.mil/gps/Current/current.oa1 http://gps.afspc.af.mil/gps/Current/current.nnu http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/gps/geninfo/NANUabbr.htm NOTICE ADVISORY TO NAVSTAR USERS (NANU) 2010013 SUBJ: SVN48 (PRN07) FORECAST OUTAGE SUMMARY JDAY 028/0616 - JDAY 028/1000 1. NANU TYPE: FCSTSUMM NANU NUMBER: 2010013 NANU DTG: 281008Z JAN 2010
January 28th 10 01:43 PM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
0 206
GPS Wing Hosts Interface Control Working Group Meeting February 12 by Mike Jr
"The Global Positioning Systems Wing will be hosting on February 12 an Interface Control Working Group (ICWG) teleconference meeting for the document IS-GPS-200E (NAVSTAR GPS Space Segment/Navigation User Interfaces). The meeting will address comments received on L2 phase relationships after the last public ICWG meeting on September 29, 2009. The ICWG teleconference is open to the general...
January 28th 10 02:29 AM
by Mike Jr Go to last post
0 240
Col. Bernard Gruber will take over command of the GPS Wing later thisyear. by Mike Jr
" Gruber served at the wing’s predecessor organization, the NAVSTAR GPS Joint Program Office (GPS JPO) in the early 1990s, where he was involved with user equipment acquisition including the Selective Availability Anti-Spoofing Module (SAASM) procurement. He will replace Col. David Madden, perhaps as soon as May." http://www.insidegnss.com/node/1884 --Mike Jr.
January 28th 10 02:26 AM
by Mike Jr Go to last post
0 209
NOTICE ADVISORY TO NAVSTAR USERS (NANU) 2010011 NANU TYPE: GENERAL by Sam Wormley[_2_]
Ref: http://gps.afspc.af.mil/gps/Current/current.oa1 http://gps.afspc.af.mil/gps/Current/current.nnu http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/gps/geninfo/NANUabbr.htm NOTICE ADVISORY TO NAVSTAR USERS (NANU) 2010011 NANU TYPE: GENERAL *** GENERAL MESSAGE TO ALL GPS USERS *** On 11 January 2010, the GPS Master Control Station loaded new operational control system software to support future GPS...
January 28th 10 12:08 AM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
1 188
Nokia Free Nav by Burnie M
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 15:16:21 -0800 (PST), "Ed M." wrote: "Analysts concluded last year after Google's foray into navigation that it was unlikely TomTom, Garmin and Nokia would ever recoup their big recent investments in navigation technology." Garmin seems well positioned
January 26th 10 11:09 PM
by Wolfgang S. Rupprecht[_10_] Go to last post
5 354
Russo Named to Head Space-Based PNT National Coordination Office by Mike Jr
"Anthony Russo took up duties this week (January 19, 2010) as the director of the National Coordination Office (NCO) for Space-Based Positioning, Navigation, and Timing (PNT). The NCO provides the working staff for the National Space-Based PNT Executive Committee, drawing on representatives assigned from various federal agencies and departments." Read the rest:...
January 23rd 10 04:01 PM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
1 308
USCG Publishes Loran-C Termination; DHS Says Not Needed for GPSBackup by HIPAR
I'm not sure who will really notice when LORAN finally goes off the air but every system has its legacy constituency. http://www.insidegnss.com/node/1806 --- CHAS
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 21st 10 09:44 AM
by Tim Thornton Go to last post
10 445
The New GPS 24+3 Constellation: What Does it Mean to the Surveyingand GIS User? by Sam Wormley[_2_]
The New GPS 24+3 Constellation: What Does it Mean to the Surveying and GIS User? January 18, 2010 By: Eric Gakstatter Survey Scene Newsletter, January 2010 http://www.gpsworld.com/survey/the-new-gps-243-constellation-what-does-it-mean-surveying-and-gis-user-9398?print=1 Last week, the U.S. Air Force announced it is reconfiguring the GPS constellation. The Air Force is changing the...
January 20th 10 01:50 AM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post
0 343
GPS Satellite SVN24 Begins 12-Month Move by Sam Wormley[_2_]
GPS Satellite SVN24 Begins 12-Month Move January 14, 2010 http://www.gpsworld.com/gnss-system/gps-modernization/news/gps-satellite-svn24-begins-12-month-move-9391?print=1 GPS satellite SVN24 began moving into a new orbital slot today as scheduled. The U.S. Air Force Global Positioning Systems Wing and the 50th Space Wing on January 11 announced a reconfiguration of GPS constellation to 24+3...
January 20th 10 01:23 AM
by Sam Wormley[_2_] Go to last post

From The