GPS for search and rescue missions by Marian[_2_]
Buying a hiking GPS for my son who leads search and rescue teams to find lost hikers and downed airplanes. He is sometimes in rough uncharted terrain. I read Mehaffey's "Important features for a hiking GPS" and am now looking for specific purchase recommendations.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 8th 09 11:41 PM
by [email protected][_2_] Go to last post
13 707
AMOD GPS logger. Advice appreciated by Mike Lane[_2_]
AMOD AGL3080 gps tracker I recently bought one of the above gps trackers to help me to geotag photos with the minimum of fuss. I was very pleased with its features and specs and it seemed (and still seems) just what I wanted. BUT after trying it for a few days I'm *very* disappointed with unit's sensitivity and accuracy. It is supposed to have a sensitive chipset (SiRF Star III) and yet it...
December 8th 09 10:09 PM
by abettermap Go to last post
4 387
GPS lost signal - weird by ps56k
"ps56k" wrote in message ... I was driving on the highway in the western burbs of Chicago with my Garmin Nuvi 255... All of a sudden, the screen showed loss of satellite signal. I was driving on the tollway - out in the open - Flipped to the main screen, and the sat signal meter showed nothing ! It...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 6th 09 04:49 PM
by Raoul[_3_] Go to last post
11 634
FTP AND UFCORS STATISTICS FOR NOVEMBER 2009 by Sam Wormley
December 1, 2009 FTP AND UFCORS STATISTICS FOR NOVEMBER 2009 FTP server statistics for Nov 2009 Total Requests: 1163911 (all FTP requests logged) Total Data Transferred: 288912 MB (all files) Requests for RINEX data: 1042336 (89% of total requests) 2009 data: 636145 (61% of RINEX requests)
December 6th 09 04:35 AM
by Sam Wormley Go to last post
0 339
Latest version of CN NT ? by Choco[_2_]
I have CN NT 2010.1. Is there a later version? I do have a subscription for updates. Thanks, Choco
November 28th 09 11:51 AM
by Don B Go to last post
1 304
Google's Cell Phone Navigation Application by Wolfgang S. Rupprecht[_8_]
I've now gotten a chance to play with Google's cell phone navigation application driving around town. All I can say is wow. This thing sure beats using my Garmin GPSMAP 60csx. The first difference is the screen is nicely decluttered with the important information presented in bold type in the margins of the mapping area. The voice synthesis is loud and clear with no robot-like qualities. The...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
November 25th 09 09:00 PM
by Wolfgang S. Rupprecht[_8_] Go to last post
10 636
Looking for NMEA data viewer by claudegps
Hi all, I'm looking for a simple GPS/NMEA data viewer (like VisualGPS), freely distributable with the capability to connect also to a socket (not serial-port only) Any suggestion? Visualization capability are not important (just need usual colored "bars", satellites used ecc...) Thanks
November 23rd 09 02:58 PM
by claudegps Go to last post
0 343
Magellan Premium Car Kit and RoadMate App for iPhone/iPod touch ... by jolly
Magellan Premium Car Kit and RoadMate App for iPhone/iPod touch ... http://www.techespot.com/2009/11/magellan-introduced-premium-kit-iphone.html
November 21st 09 09:33 AM
by jolly Go to last post
0 373
Looking for DGPS beacon receiver by BB
Is anyone still making marine radiobeacon receivers that can pick up the 300 kHz beacons and generate RTCM SC-104 corrections for GPS receivers?
November 17th 09 10:57 PM
by Keith Go to last post
4 7,076
Hi, I want to calculate distance.. by Deepak
Hi all, I am new in this group. I want to calculate distance between two latitude,longitude. could any one the formula.. Please help me.. Thanks
November 17th 09 10:39 PM
by Keith Go to last post
6 394
Free google maps a threat to the GPS folks? by Nicholas[_2_]
I found this in another n/g: ================================================== http://www.cnbc.com/id/33863696/print/1/displaymode/1098/ How the Droid and Google Threaten the GPS Makers Apple may dominate the smart phone market, but Motorola and Verizon have made some big waves in the industry lately. In its opening weekend, the Droid — Motorola's new smart phone running
November 15th 09 10:23 PM
by Alan White Go to last post
5 366
Enter Google; Exit Microsoft, Stage Left by Hans-Georg Michna
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 20:04:11 -0800, isw wrote: You can have a map database for just about anywhere on earth for free, if you're willing to do a little work -- check out Open Street Map. ISaac, unfortunately not "just about everywhere", but only in industrialized countries and in the center of big cities. In other words, everywhere where there are enough geeks to make the
November 15th 09 04:35 AM
by isw Go to last post
3 370
How to convert a Google Earth KMZ file to a GPS file... by Squid
Domagoj Malovic wrote: a .kmz file iz a zipped .kml file. One needs to unzip the kml from kmz and then convert in gpsbabel :) You might want to try this URL... http//:www.takeitwithme.com/ge2gps.html
November 14th 09 11:44 PM
by Squid Go to last post
0 404
Typical RAM and FLASH size for software GPS Receiver by Johnson[_2_]
I know this question sounds silly since so many factors will affect the actual hardware requirement. However, I still want to get a general idea about the typical requirement of the hardware. Does anybody know how many MBytes of RAM and MBytes of FLASH (or ROM) for a typical software GPS receiver? If there are significant difference between a low-end GPS C/A receiver and a high-end...
November 13th 09 04:46 PM
by Johnson[_2_] Go to last post
0 310
bug in the Garmin colorado 400c (sea version with US Marine detail g2v2.51) by renevers
bug: unrecoverable unrestartable system collapse while zooming in map (over 200 km) update version : operating system 3.00 -sept2009 avr 40 Instrument sold: oct 2009, westmarine ft lauderdale (1 mth old) Mapset: 1.Colombia 7.8 (south america) on ram (sold in Colombia - Bogota at main Garmin dealer WWW.tusmapas.com) - 2.coastal USA seamaps US Marine detail g2 v2.51 build in GPS
November 13th 09 05:08 AM
by renevers Go to last post
1 314
BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | Galileo 'pathfinders' take shape by [email protected]
The Galileo satellite-navigation system is coming. After all the wrangling, the delays and the furore over cost, Europe's version of GPS is finally starting to take shape. In an industrial cleanroom in southern England, engineers are reaching key milestones in their preparation of four satellites. It will be these In-Orbit Validation (IOV) models which will prove the Galileo concept.
November 12th 09 07:11 PM
a good product? by Mr. Book
hello everybody, i wanted to know what to you think about that one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015EWMX8?ie=UTF8&tag=ofirsstor-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0015EWMX8 thanks ahead.
November 5th 09 01:10 PM
by Rick Go to last post
5 441
Why E-GPS supports GSM, not cdma by Johnson[_2_]
http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/April2006/2970.htm I would like to know why E-GPS supports GSM, not cdma? What makes GSM better than cdma for this case? Will 3G like WCDMA support E-GPS better than GSM? Thank you.
November 4th 09 06:53 AM
by Terje Mathisen[_3_] Go to last post
1 384
6 dB more sensitivity than can be achieved with Enhanced GPS by Johnson[_2_]
http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/April2006/2970.htm "The benefit of fine time aiding is that the device now knows where to look for a GPS signal. This enables a more aggressive search and is equivalent to 6 dB more sensitivity than can be achieved with any amount of GPS hardware correlator in the terminal. So powerful is this assistance that it also enables software-only GPS solutions to operate...
November 4th 09 06:50 AM
by Terje Mathisen[_3_] Go to last post
3 507
Help choosing a GPS by Mr.mobile
Help choosing a GPS Hello everyone I found a GPS that I want to buy. Garmin nüvi 260W 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator Does anyone know and can recommend. http://astore.amazon.com/gpsstore0a6-20/detail/B0011ULQNI
November 3rd 09 03:21 PM
by Wayne R. Go to last post

From The