Why are some GPSs so much better than others? by Andy
Peter wrote: Being an electronics hardware/software engineer I can understand a lot of the issues with reception, but why such a huge variation in sensitivity? The RF signals involved are very weak and can potentially be jammed by the RF noise from the GPSRs own CPU. This jamming isn't enough to stop the unit from working but will raise the noise level and so degrade the SNR seen by...
August 6th 04 03:14 AM
by Andy Go to last post
2 198
WAAS and Garmin60CS by J&D Cole
I have a Garmin 60CS and have read all the info about using WAAS (turn on, turn off, etc.) but haven't a clue as to why I would ever turn it off. Is there a power issue with WAAS on? Is there ANY reason to turn it off? Is there a specific condition when I should turn it on? Any info appreciated. -- Jack (Remove "-Freyathedog" for e-mail)
August 6th 04 01:47 AM
by Peter Bennett Go to last post
5 232
Why are some GPSs so much better than others? by HH
Peter, how old are the GPS that you mention? By "old" I mean, when did that GPS first came out? For example, new Garmin eTrex Legend C have better reception than it's older brother eTrex Legend that came out two years ago. Both Legends are still available right now. Some other factor also involve like "was it design to be a low cost GPS or was it design to be top of the line GPS?" "Peter"...
August 6th 04 12:32 AM
by HH Go to last post
1 169
Unwanted tracks from Meridian GPS by ttvnol
I use a Magellan Meridian with OziEx. I always get unwanted tracks connecting from the place it turned off to the place it turned back on. The same tracks appear on OziEx when I download tracks to my PC. Will the group members advise me how to: - Avoid the unwanted tracks appearing on my Meridian screen - Delete the unwanted tracks on PC after downloading to OziEx Thank you
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
August 5th 04 10:49 PM
by Surendar Jeyadev Go to last post
29 759
GPS found its way into Telemedicine. by Andreas van Hooijdonk
The whole story (not too long) can be found he http://www.gps-practice-and-fun.com/telemedicine.html -- Andreas van Hooijdonk http://www.gps-practice-and-fun.com
August 5th 04 10:07 PM
by Andreas van Hooijdonk Go to last post
0 155
Map of birdview xanavi by polonia
I need CD whith map of Spain for my nav Birdview of xanavi. Help me where can I download it. Grazie -- dante200 Inviato da www.mynewsgate.net
August 5th 04 08:51 PM
by polonia Go to last post
0 147
Exporting city coordinates from Garmin MapSource by Pascal Damian
From what I've read, Garmin MapSource is pretty popular. Would it be possible to export the list of all cities with their coordinates and their countries, from Garmin MapSource to a text file? Otherwise, will I be able to extract it myself? Is the format of the map data proprietary? -- Pascal
August 5th 04 07:29 PM
by David Lee Go to last post
2 146
FREE battery cover for Garmin SPIII by yabadabado
I'm re posting this because I forgot the magic word FREE in the subject line I have an extra battery cover for a Street Pilot 3. I can't use it if you need it email the address below. USPS Priority postage of $5.00 US and it's yours. please mention "garmin battery cover" in subject line
August 5th 04 07:07 PM
by yabadabado Go to last post
0 200
Garmin EMAP - Info by Dave Caranci
I did a bit of digging on this EMAP thing: Here is the info page: http://www.garmin.com/products/emap/ I clicked on 'product comparison' with the Garmin GPSMAP 60C (pretty nice one that was just released) - below is the chart. - The EMAP can use map cartidges but they are sort of expensive (100 bucks each for 128MB card). - slightly bigger screen (0.2" wider) but lower resolution and not...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 5th 04 06:41 PM
by Peter Go to last post
16 413
Turn Tracks to Trails by HH
Hi, I went hiking yesterday on a popular trail in Banff, Canada. I recorded the point of interest along with the trail's tracks. Now, is there a way for me to turn those tracks into trails use MapSource to upload it to the GPS along with other MapSource maps in MetroGuide Canada?
August 5th 04 05:39 PM
by Tom Morrison Go to last post
3 258
Why are some GPSs so much better than others? by Gavin Scott
Peter wrote: I have a Honeywell KLN94B panel-mounted GPS which I have been flying with for 350 hours and it has been 100% perfect, with even the altitude being within 20ft of true airfield elevation most of the time. Are you sure it *isn't* reporting pressure altitude? I'm out of touch with that market, but IIRC at least the early Aviation GPS...
August 5th 04 05:25 PM
by Gavin Scott Go to last post
0 137
creating routes with map - Legend C, Vista C, 60C, 76C by John Bell
One of the things that I really like about the Garmin mapping GPS receivers is the ease in which a route can be created using the map. I just got a Vista C and love it. I had a little trouble getting this feature to work on the Venture C and a 60C that I had played with at a local boating store. I eventually found the trick and thought that I would pass it along. It works well, but I was...
August 5th 04 05:11 PM
by John Bell Go to last post
2 172
Updates for Garmin GPSMAP 76C/CS, Legend C, Vista C by Allory Deiss
GPSMAP 76C software version 3.50 as of August 5, 2004** Changes made from version 3.30 to 3.50: Added support for xImage software. Improved track log recording in Auto mode. Increased the size of the compass pointer on the Compass page. Enabled the compass pointer to be shown while navigating a Follow Road route. Added a progress indicator when calculating a Follow Road route. Increased...
August 5th 04 04:11 PM
by Allory Deiss Go to last post
0 156
Manually Creating tracks in OziExplorer by Sean Bartleet
Hi, I have scanned a map and calibrated it in OziExplorer. I used three points to calibrate the map. When I upload a track that should be on the map the track loads up in the right place. I am having problems manually creating a track in OziExplorer. When I select the "Manually create track points" button on the Track control toolbar track points are created but are being created somewhere over...
August 5th 04 11:09 AM
by Trevor S Go to last post
8 316
Can MapSource IMG files be pruned? by David Lee
Just occured to me that a large amount of precious memory in my Vista is being eaten up by data that I shall never use. Is it possible to remove POI information, house numbers etc from Metroguide Europe files and recompile into a more compact form so that I can upload a larger area of useful mapping? If I have time I'll have a ferret around myself this weekend but some pointers from those...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 5th 04 11:02 AM
by Keith Sheppard Go to last post
10 371
Does anybody know who makes this? by Carsten Kurz
themanwhocan schrieb: Hi I am interested in one of these but the seller is a little vague in letting me know who makes it and what the specs are. Any help would be great. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4668&item=5713521990 Never seen that before. The xTrac autoswitching is interesting, but
August 5th 04 10:06 AM
by Carsten Kurz Go to last post
8 292
European versions of CitySelect vs MetroGuide for the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS by David
Hi, I'm considering buying a 60CS for autorouting use in the UK and I'm confused about the differences between the European versions of CitySelect vs MetroGuide. Anyone care to enlighten me on which is better ? Many thanks,
August 5th 04 08:32 AM
by Hans-Georg Michna Go to last post
9 329
Wild position swings with a Garmin eTrex Legend by dreamcachers
Last week, while climbing Mt. Belford in Colorado, my eTrex Legend went crazy. Although the sat page showed 5 satellites locked and an epe of 36 feet, the elevation started swinging up and down about a thousand feet and the position jumped around by about a quarter mile. The oscillation period was about 20 seconds. This went on for about 10 minutes. Finally, I turned off the unit and then...
August 5th 04 08:27 AM
by Walter Wright Go to last post
4 236
Garmin GPSMAP 60C/60CS update to 3.50 by Allory Deiss
GPSMAP 60C software version 3.50 as of August 4, 2004** Changes made from version 3.30 to 3.50: Added support for xImage software. Improved track log recording in Auto mode. Increased the size of the compass pointer on the Compass page. Enabled the compass pointer to be shown while navigating a Follow Road route. Added a progress indicator when calculating a Follow Road route. Increased...
August 5th 04 06:52 AM
by Hans-Georg Michna Go to last post
9 311
Metroguide + 60CS by Wim
Any idea how I should download the Mapsource Metroguides into the Garmin 60 CS? I have been looking everywhere, but couldn' t find the solution. Thanks. Wim
August 5th 04 06:43 AM
by Anders Persson Go to last post

From The