laptop gps by csp
I am new to GPS and would very much like to find out how to go about using my laptop for sat nav, I currently have a HP laptop with XP and I have a copy of MS Autoroute 2004 which is very useful. I would like to find a way to use my laptop to sat nav on road journeys. Any advice on products and solutions would be very welcome, along with details of good suppliers in the uk. Regards
August 5th 04 06:17 AM
by Darren Griffin - PocketGPS Go to last post
2 205
Garmin GPSMAP 60/76/96 C/CS find city outside base map workaround by Hans-Georg Michna
Just wanted to mention that there is a semi-workaround for the defect in these devices in the find city function. It does not work outside the main base map area. I am not sure whether the workaround works in all of these devices, I tested it only on the 76C. But since they are quite similar, I guess it works on the others as well. The defect is that these devices do not use loaded maps to...
August 5th 04 06:12 AM
by Hans-Georg Michna Go to last post
4 245
GPS and XM radio by Don B
This may be a touch off subject, but I don't think the tech support people at XM radio are familiar with a GPS like the SPIII so I'll ask here. Does anyone on the group use a satellite radio while they have their Streetpilot running, and if so does either interfere with the other? I ask because I have read that sometimes using two GPS units close to one another will cause...
August 5th 04 03:44 AM
by Isaiah Beard Go to last post
8 203
Why are some GPSs so much better than others? by Bob Gardner
The AIM tells us (in the US) to ignore GPS altitude and use barometric. If you are getting GPS altitude within 20 feet of barometric altitude, it is coincidence, nothing more. I can sit in my car at sea level and watch my GPS altitude (SP III) go down to negative numbers. WAAS is another story entirely. Bob Gardner
August 4th 04 03:57 PM
by Peter Go to last post
1 161
battery cover for Garmin SPIII by yabadabado
I have an extra battery cover for a Street Pilot 3.USPS Priority postage of $5.00 US and it's yours. Sorry but USA Only. please mention "garmin " in subject line musashiAThvcDOTrrDOTcom
August 4th 04 03:21 PM
by yabadabado Go to last post
0 139
Garmin Map76 question by Surendar Jeyadev
I am very pleased with my Map76 and it functioned wonderfully on our recent roadtrip. I do have a question about its behaviour -- one that proved bothersome. When a route is active the GPS position locator is in the middle of the screen and the map slides by underneath as location of the GPS changes. So far, so good. Now, if one used the the Map Locator to pan around (say, to scan what is...
August 4th 04 03:11 PM
by yabadabado Go to last post
4 185
GPSMAP 60C and Route following by Family Guy
Hello, Can someone help...? I created a route on my PC using Mapsource. The route automatically chooses the roads, in which case are mostly highways. Good so far and I am happy with the way Mapsource setup the route. Here is the problem. I download the route to my 60c and begin to navigate it. However, the 60c has it's own idea of how to navigate the route... choosing different roads (which have...
August 4th 04 03:03 PM
by Stuart Middleton-White Go to last post
3 152
Tracks in Wet Forest: Two GPSRs and Three Antenna Positions by Fred Hiltz
I made some test tracks in really wet woods to gather some evidence under controlled conditions on the perennial topic of tracks under tree cover. The results are not surprising. The executive summary: 1) Typical consumer GPS receivers can record useful tracks under heavy, wet foliage when reception is not obstructed by the user. 2) Forget about carrying the antenna on your body in the...
August 4th 04 02:38 PM
by Fred Hiltz Go to last post
0 140
Time displayed on GPS by Dale Gloer
I recently had occasion to drive across a time zone boundary - MT to PT with my Magellan 315 GPS. To my surprise the displayed time remained MT even after a couple of days and several power off/power on cycles. I expected that the time display would be correct for the time zone I was in. How is the GPS time display computed and do I have to tell it which time zone it is in? Dale Gloer
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
August 4th 04 01:54 PM
by Steven Shelikoff Go to last post
21 571
Why are some GPSs so much better than others? by Carsten Kurz
Peter schrieb: I have a Socket bluetooth GPS from socketcom.com (SIRS chipset??) which returns the altitude about 300ft too high (always) but more That is due to a bad firmware implementation in older SIRF-II receivers. They output only geoid altitudes, not MSL. I also wonder what is the point of a 12-channel GPS when most of the time there are 8 or fewer satellites in the sky.
August 4th 04 12:15 PM
by Carsten Kurz Go to last post
1 175
Settle A Bet Regarding GPS Time by t
Good Day All: I have a bet at work (boatyard) regarding GPS time as shown in the receivers. I realize this is an over-done subject but your responses are the arbitrator in the dispute. I claim that if the receiver is locked on and functioning properly, the time shown will be accurate to within a couple of seconds at least. My co-worker claims 8 minutes is the best that can be hoped for. Who...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
August 4th 04 10:11 AM
by t Go to last post
20 536
UK - Pocket PC GPS in Lidl ! Comments ? by Nick
http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20040805.p.Satellite_Navigation_System_with_Pocket_PC 350 quid ! -- Nick in Northallerton Also nickw7coc on both Yahoo Messenger & on MSN Messenger And http://www.whelan.me.uk
August 4th 04 06:27 AM
by Darren Griffin - PocketGPS Go to last post
4 278
Delorme SA 2004 crashes Win2k by Yum
I have been trying to use a GPS with Delorme SA. 2004 It is a generic serial GPS connected to a USB port through serial/USB converter. It is detected by the software and everything seems to be running for a while, but it crashes system completely all the sudden during navigation. The only way to recover is to reboot the system. It happened every time. With the same setup, I never had...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 4th 04 04:56 AM
by Yum Go to last post
17 400
How to compute waypoint projections without a GPS unit. by James
Hi, I am looking to write a piece of freeware to calculate waypoint projections given the following data: -point of origin (in DD MM.mmm format) -projection range (distance in meters such as XXXX.xxx) -bearing to projection (in degrees or MILS) I am looking to use the Vincenti method but know nothing about it. Can
August 4th 04 02:51 AM
by James Go to last post
5 255
Getting TOPO .tpo files into Garmin 60C/MapSource by spooky Po
Hello all, I am trying to figure out how to get tracking and other data from TOPO ..tpo files into Garmin's MapSource software and my new Garmin 60C. I can get the data contained in the older .tpg format such as routes and waypoints into Mapsource via OziExplorer or GPSbabel, but can't find a way to convert .tpo files. This is their new combined file format and in addition to waypoints and...
August 3rd 04 10:29 PM
by Bob Cromwell Go to last post
9 222
GPSMap 176 by KBodholt
Is there a way to "master" reset the above unit and erase all data. I'm having a problem and the unit will not acquire and lock on satelites. Thanks
August 3rd 04 10:22 PM
by George Pinson Go to last post
1 155
Online Manuals for new GPS receivers available by Carsten Kurz
Garmin now has the online manuals for VistaC and LegendC available for download. Magellan, in addition to the eXplorist 200 manual, now also offers the eXplorist 100 manual for download. - Carsten -- Audio Visual Systems fon: +49 (0)2234 601886
August 3rd 04 09:07 PM
by Carsten Kurz Go to last post
0 186
Waypoints - Iraq by Newby
My son is off to Iraq soon. Can anyone suggest websites for good maps of Iraq where I can get waypoint information to input to his yellow Etrex? Thanks for any help.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 3rd 04 07:36 PM
by Michael Chare Go to last post
12 413
Industry smallest A-GPS System-in-Package by Andreas van Hooijdonk
Global Locate Inc. today introduced Stingray, a single package A-GPS system-in-package(SIP): http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2004/Aug/1061936.htm -- Andreas van Hooijdonk http://www.gps-practice-and-fun.com
August 3rd 04 05:07 PM
by Andreas van Hooijdonk Go to last post
0 151
earthmate blue logger by jeff feehan
i am thinking of buying the blue logger from earthmate - it is a bluetooth receiver with integrated logging capability. is there any other bluetooth gpsr with logging capability? jf
August 3rd 04 04:50 PM
by Darren Griffin - PocketGPS Go to last post

From The