Pocket PC Nav Software by Bruce Dimon
I'm buying a new PDA & GPS so I'm soliciting recommendations mainly for navigation software.. My needs a - hunting & fishing. - Geocaching. - Navigation in a car & Gold Wing motocycle. - Trip planning including routing, and finding Points of Interests. (campgrounds, motels, tourist sites, etc.) - Internet access for newsgroups, email, web pages, etc.
July 25th 04 09:20 PM
by Andreas van Hooijdonk Go to last post
1 160
AURORA ALERT: A strong geomagnetic storm continues by Sam Wormley
Ref: http://spaceweather.com/ AURORA ALERT: A strong geomagnetic storm sparked auroras last night (July 24-25) as far south as Nebraska in the United States. The storm began hours after a weak coronal mass ejection hit Earth's magnetic field and continued, fitfully, for 12+ hours. More auroras are possible tonight if, as expected, another coronal mass ejection (CME) sweeps past our...
July 25th 04 08:29 PM
by Sam Wormley Go to last post
0 148
Anyone using TomTom in the U.S.? by Robert A
Anyone using their products over here? I'd like to hear some feedback. Robert A
July 25th 04 03:59 PM
by Robert A Go to last post
0 133
Indoor GPS, using TV signals = TV-GPS by Andreas van Hooijdonk
This is no news, for Trimble and Rosum already signed a technology development and licensing agreement on February 27, 2003. This seems a good alternative to A-GPS.Here some links to a promising new technology : Trimble's News Release of February 2003 http://www.trimble.com/news/022703a.htm Rosum's homepage http://www.rosum.com/index.html
July 25th 04 01:37 PM
by Andreas van Hooijdonk Go to last post
1 233
Anyone have LCD Screen Replaced in Geko? by JNewell
My Geko 201 suffered a casualty on a recent backpacking trip. It boots fine and the software and data appear to be fine, but the screen is mostly gone, I think from an impact (I wasn't there when it happened). Has anyone had any experience with Garmin service out of warranty? I'm wondering about cost and turnaround time. I'll call them on Monday but was curious whether anyone had any...
July 25th 04 11:44 AM
by JNewell Go to last post
3 176
Garmin GPSMAP 60/76 C/CS Number of Track Points by Hans-Georg Michna
The number of track points can be adjusted and defaults to 3,000 in the Garmin GPSMAP 60/76 C/CS devices. Does anybody have a clue why it is adjustable and what the disadvantage could be of increasing this setting? The maximum is 10,000. The fear, of course, is that the memory is taken from something else, reducing some other capability.
July 25th 04 08:27 AM
by Hans-Georg Michna Go to last post
7 251
Garmin GPSMAP 76C Route Calculation Error by Hans-Georg Michna
Any idea what the popup message: Route Calculation Error. is supposed to mean? Looks like a preordained defect to me. Any known workarounds short of going somewhere else? Hans-Georg
July 25th 04 08:27 AM
by Hans-Georg Michna Go to last post
4 233
Garmin GPSMAP 76C routes bycicles over freeways by Hans-Georg Michna
Is it allowed in America to ride bicycles on freeways? In Germany it most definitely isn't. That's a defect in the routing with the European City Select v6. The funny thing is that the device appears to avoid freeways at first, but later in a long route it seems to develop a weakness and routes me onto a freeway. Hans-Georg
July 25th 04 08:27 AM
by Hans-Georg Michna Go to last post
4 177
EGNOS not operational on GPSMAP 76cs ? by C-A Berseth
Hi, I have a GPSMAP 76cs and a GPSMAP 76s. While the latter works great with EGNOS (I am in Switzerland and France), the former does not. - On the GPSMAP 76s, activating WAAS reserves 2 of the 12 channels for differential satellites, in my area these are 33 (South-West), 39 and 44 (both South-East). All 3 of them show up on
July 25th 04 08:08 AM
by Hans-Georg Michna Go to last post
4 175
Garmin GPSMAP 76C - Battery Save Mode - How much use is it? by Hans-Georg Michna
Has anyone tested how much the actual difference is between normal and battery save modes in the 76C? Just got mine, upgraded the firmware to the current beta version and am very positively impressed. Hans-Georg -- No mail, please.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 25th 04 08:08 AM
by Hans-Georg Michna Go to last post
19 429
AURORA WATCH: A mild geomagnetic storm is in progress by Sam Wormley
Ref: http://spaceweather.com/ AURORA WATCH: A mild geomagnetic storm is in progress, which means conditions are favorable for faint Northern Lights as far south as, e.g., Washington, Wisconsin and Michigan in the United States, and all across Canada. The ongoing storm might gather strength during the next 24 hours if, as expected, one or more coronal mass ejections
July 25th 04 03:40 AM
by Sam Wormley Go to last post
1 253
Need a PWB diagram by Michael Mackay-Blair
For a GPS Chip. The rxer will be placed in a Small rocket with a UHF txer. The aim is to track the ballistic flight path with normal INS then switch over to recover the rocket. When I say small I mean small the motor diameter is 29mm. Hopefully we make 1000 (300m) feet on the first shot. tia Michael
July 25th 04 12:43 AM
by Michael Mackay-Blair Go to last post
4 205
60cx temperature sensor by H.W. Stockman
The 60cx reports temperature on the diagnostic page, in C. I've verified that there is a sensor connected to this readout, so T goes down when I stick the unit in the freezer, etc. The readout seems to be roughly correct. There have been many times I would have liked to know the temperature while hiking, skiing, etc. Is there any way to get this temperature to display, without turning...
July 24th 04 11:48 PM
by Carsten Kurz Go to last post
5 213
GPS week rollover bug hits Nextel by Paul Hirose
Several models of Nextel phones have been malfunctioning in the past few days. The phones crash and reboot when the user attempts to use the GPS part of the phone. This includes the E911 feature that provides GPS location during an emergency call. It seems to be a GPS week rollover problem. Last Sunday was the beginning of GPS week 1280, which is a multiple of...
July 24th 04 08:21 PM
by Paul Hirose Go to last post
4 322
Garmin iQue3200 by sheitan88
Hello to all! Does anybody know something about model iQue3200? It has been announced yesterday at garmin site amoung the news. The link was not working. Today the model disapeared. The question is: Was not the model prepared for official lunching? Does the model have any problems? The content on iQue3200 should be here.
July 24th 04 06:32 PM
by Carsten Kurz Go to last post
4 166
Website for Land Surveying and Mapping by Cathy
Preview site of website for land surveyors and mapping professionals. http://www.surveyingzone.com Cathy Costarides,LS Acworth,Georgia USA
July 24th 04 04:12 PM
by Dave Patton Go to last post
1 198
MapSource auto route by Pete Beall
Is it possible to auto calculate a route in MapSource Topo, or are these always direct? -- www.petebeall.net
July 24th 04 04:06 PM
by Dale DePriest Go to last post
3 183
Anyone use the Brunton 8099 Eclipse Compass? by Ken
Does anyone use the Brunton 8099 Eclipse compass? I've played with them at the local store and I like them, but am wondering if they are too complex or heavy for field use.
July 24th 04 03:57 PM
by Annapress Go to last post
2 353
Garmin GPSMAP 60/76 C/CS traffic jam circumvention by Hans-Georg Michna
Remembering an earlier discussion about this topic, I tried a few things on my brand new 76C and found a pleasant surprise. The problem is this. You're driving on a freeway, guided by your friendly GPS, when you suddenly learn about a traffic jam in front of you. So you drive off the freeway at the next opportunity. However, the GPS doesn't understand your intentions and only proposes that you...
July 24th 04 12:44 PM
by Hans-Georg Michna Go to last post
0 188
Bought a 2620 by Scott
Well, I just acquired a Garmin 2620, and had some time to play with it. Overall, it seems neat, but I've found some odd faults in its route function: 1) multiple times, when north/south/east/west is actually part of a road name, the directions omitted it. I don't mean "E. 12th Street" and "W. 12th Street" (east and west portions of the same road) but when the compass point is an integral...
July 24th 04 12:29 PM
by S Frank Go to last post

From The