Google's Geospatial Data Rising to the Top by Ed M.
Somewhat related -- article on a West Point cadet's computer science project -- a $300 version of a Google Street View data collection system. http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/hands-on/diy-streetview-camera/ He lists the GPS receiver, which uses a SiRFStar III chipset, at $37. http://www.globalsat.com.tw/eng/product_detail_00000044.htm
October 15th 09 08:22 PM
by Derek Lyons Go to last post
1 387
US city to start giant 'mapathon' by HIPAR
Kinda neat: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8305924.stm --- CHAS
October 14th 09 06:33 PM
by HIPAR Go to last post
0 295
How to get distance, heading btwn 2 points? by WhatsUp
Please forgive me if this question is naive. Frankly, I know nothing about GPS devices. But I was talking to someone who is knowledgable, and he indicated that this is not a normal feature. For a very basic training exercise, we want to lay out a compass course. It would be great if we could go to point A, click a button to record the location with a GPS device. Then go to point B, click a...
October 12th 09 11:42 PM
by ps56k Go to last post
5 371
Garmin Nuvi touchscreen failure by GeorgeB
There seem to be lots of folks who have had the touchscreen fail if the questions I read are an accurate representation. Is there anything to try before sending it off to be repaired? I found one source, http://www.sharc.net/gps_LCD_repair.htm and wonder if anyone has any comments on them, or other suggestions. Thanks!
October 12th 09 04:28 PM
by SHARCNET Go to last post
2 312
Topo Map for Altai Republic? by Mardon
Can anyone suggest where I might find an online topo map for the Kosh- Agachsky Region of the Altai Republic? Specifically, I'm looking for a map containing 49.784N 87.163E
October 10th 09 07:38 AM
by Holger Issle Go to last post
4 400
TomTom IQ Routes, Boston Area by Adam Ek
I've has a Garmin iQue for several years, but it's approaching end of life (no battery life when unplugged, built-in antenna failed, frequent crashes and memory dumps). I commute from Sharon, MA (south of Boston) to North Reading (north of Boston) 4-5 times a week. I'm interested in the traffic features of some of the new GPS units and/or software out there but I'm looking for some reviews that...
October 8th 09 05:52 PM
by Adam Ek Go to last post
0 253
A-GPS by claudegps
Hi all, I'm looking for information on about the A-GPS process. Basically, my understanding is that the GSM phone/modem is able to retrieve from the network approximated time and position. Depending on the tecnique that is used (single or multi-cell ecc..) the accuracy may vary. (This could be done with any GSM/GPRS phone-modem that support this function? I.e. even thru AT commands?) Once...
October 8th 09 10:57 AM
by claudegps Go to last post
6 845
GPS and Google Earth by isw
A track file created by my GPS can be imported into Google Earth either directly as a GPX, or after conversion to a KML. In both cases, the track as displayed looks identical. And in both cases, I cannot figure out how to get G-E to tell me the length of the track (i.e. how far I walked). If I use G-E's Tools/Ruler/Path to manually draw the path (which I was doing before I got the GPS), I...
October 6th 09 06:44 AM
by isw Go to last post
6 393
GPS meeting presentations by HIPAR
There are many interesting GPS presentations he http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/cgsic/meetings/49thmeeting/49th_CGSIC_Meeting_Agenda.htm Note the presentation from 2SOPS concerning the GPS constellation status : http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/cgsic/meetings/49thmeeting/Reports/%5B05%5DGPS_Status_2_SOPS_LTBoyd.pptx --- CHAS
October 5th 09 01:45 PM
by claudegps Go to last post
1 263
Logging of lake coords and depth by ps56k
"NadCixelsyd" wrote in message ... On Sep 24, 8:28 pm, "ps56k" wrote: "NadCixelsyd" wrote in message ... Several Garmins output NMEA data to a cable which can be hooked...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
October 2nd 09 07:16 PM
by Rod Speed Go to last post
22 904
"Europe officially launches EGNOS as open and free service" by Kristoff Bonne[_2_]
http://www.gsa.europa.eu/go/news/europe-officially-launches-egnos-as-open-and-free-service
October 1st 09 07:59 PM
by Kristoff Bonne[_2_] Go to last post
0 328
Ionosphere Cycle and other related questions by Johnson[_2_]
Could anybody please let me know how many years' cycle for the Ionosphere activity? I remember the solar cycle is approximately 11 years, and I believe the Ionosphere activity is mostly affected by solar cycle, so I guess the cycle of Ionosphere activity will be 11 years too. I remember the last time I observed huge Ionosphere errors in the receivers was around year 2000 and 2001, so I guess...
September 25th 09 09:59 AM
by Ed M. Go to last post
2 322
SVN 49 -- Saga continues by HIPAR
There was a panel discussion of the signal problems encountered with SVN49 at the Institute of Navigation meeting at Savannah GA. http://www.gpsworld.com/defense/candidate-found-perfect-handheld-gps-transceiver-plus-svn49-8944 Reading between the lines, after a worldwide based effort, nobody has found a 'magic' solution to fix the problem. The Air Force will soon set the PRN01 satellite...
September 24th 09 05:03 PM
by HIPAR Go to last post
0 289
GPS Week by Johnson[_2_]
I got totally confused today. I think Day 247 of year 2009 (Sept.4, 2009, Modified Julian Day 55078) should be at GPS Week 1547. If we remove the GPS Week Rollover, the GPS Week should be 523 (1547-1024), since the GPS week starts from 0. However, when I check the almanac file that I downloaded from USCG, I found the GPS week is 524. http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/archives/gps/2009/ALMANACS/YUMA/
September 23rd 09 12:33 AM
by T Driver Go to last post
5 366
GPS chip speed/altitude restrictions? by N. Foldager
1. Does anybody on this list know if it is possible to obtain GPS-chips without the 512 m/s and 18000 meter ristrictions? 2. How fast do restricted chips usually resume reporting when returning to within the limits? 3. Do all restricted chips have the same logic ( "and" versus "or" )
September 21st 09 09:29 AM
by claudegps Go to last post
7 366
Example code for Garmin GPS 18X? by Mrinal Khanvilkar
Hi, I recently downloaded the garmin SDK and was working on it. It has an example and when i run that example with the device (GPS 18X USB) it returns the product information. I have also noticed in the specification about D800_Pvt_Data_Type but i dont know how to use it. Can anybody post a small example which i can look at? Thanks, Mrinal
September 20th 09 09:48 PM
by Mrinal Khanvilkar Go to last post
0 295
CANADA - Microsoft Streets and Trips 2010 to arrive soon by Marvin Hlavac
Microsoft Canada will release the following two products on August 12, 2009: * Microsoft Streets and Trips 2010 * Microsoft Streets and Trips 2010 with GPS receiver Review: http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/microsoft-streets-trips/2380-review-microsoft-streets-trips-2010-a.html --
September 20th 09 03:21 PM
by Marvin Hlavac Go to last post
1 264
SPOT gpx tracklog by Anon
Just a note to the group. I recently completed a multi-day backpacking trip using the SPOT device. The continuous tracking worked well, and the 'semi-emergency' button also worked well. One thing that didn't work so well is the SPOT tracklog. You can download your tracklog in what is supposed to be gpx format, but there's something screwy about it. None of the three picture geotagging...
September 18th 09 04:18 AM
by [email protected][_2_] Go to last post
3 321
Navigon iPhone GPS by jolly
Navigon adds text to speech function in the application for the iPhone http://www.techespot.com/2009/09/navigon-adds-text-to-speech-function-in.html
September 17th 09 11:03 AM
by jolly Go to last post
0 284
benefits from additional freq L5 by [email protected]
Dear all, i would like to understand a bit better the improvment of adding new freq., L5. From what i understood, L5 suppose to have stronger signal strength when it received on earth, and will allow very wide Lw (the linear combination of L1 + L5 will create bigger wave length then the linear combination of L1 + L2).
September 15th 09 10:06 PM
by HIPAR Go to last post

From The