Garmin Geko 301 Altitude Test Results... by [email protected]
I'm using a Garmin Geko for a pressure altimeter. I needed to know/certify its accuracy. Today I took it to an FAA certified instrument repair shop and had the unit put into a pressure chamber and calibrated from -1000 to +20000 ft. The largest error was ~50ft at 20000 and less than 8 ft below 10000. This is a stock off the shelf unit purchased from normal channels.
August 28th 03 03:18 AM
Meridian Plat battery cover by Ross
Bob Mologna wrote: I just got my Meridian Plat delivered and there is a definite gap between the battery cover and the unit, but it appears to be latching closed just as it should. Is this normal? It's normal. If you remove the cover you will see there is a rubber gasket which seals the battery compartment and stops water getting into the interior of the unit. A word of warning though,...
August 28th 03 02:43 AM
by Walton Go to last post
1 189
What unit to buy to track speed of my boat? by NoJointerHere
"Graham" wrote in message ... steve sty wrote: Hello, I would like to measure the performance or speed/acceleration of my race boat to determine if my engine mods are working or not. Can I use a GPS receiver to do this? Most GPS receivers will record a tracklog of positions at time intervals down to one...
August 28th 03 01:04 AM
by Oldbie Go to last post
6 245
Conversion: PLSS to Lat and Lon? by Jeff Thorson
Is there an algorithm to convert the US Public Land Survey System Township grid designations to latitude and longitude (center or corner)? Example input data (whatever format) T31N-R17E, Section 5, NW¼NW¼ Example output: 45.123456N 90.876544W Is it different from state to state? I'm specifically looking for Wisconsin but of course I'd be interested in a general solution too.
August 27th 03 11:22 PM
by Sam Wormley Go to last post
1 186
SP3 Face Scratched by Jim Beachy
Last week I had my motorcycle in the shop for some routine service and put my SP3 inside my fleece-lined helmet carrier, face-down against the soft fleecy material. I thought that would be the perfect way to protect it. I then drove to work and back in my truck with the helmet carrier sitting on the seat. Hard to believe, but the face of the SP3 is now significantly damaged. Not really...
August 27th 03 10:19 PM
by widu Go to last post
2 218
Tracking vehicle by SBH
I have asked this before and lost the info. I am looking for a GPS system where I can mount a receiver on a vehicle and track it on my computer map software. I am not looking for a service provider who charges a monthly fee such as Lo-Jack. I prefer to purchase the supplies and do it myself. I want to be able to call into the receiver somehow to track a vehicle if needed. Anyone know where I can...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 27th 03 08:55 PM
by Frank Go to last post
18 407
stars simple trigonometry by user
The previous replies have a good application discussing the SR-71's unit and how it works, and the link to the desktop program. It's common to use star trackers on satellites as a precise attitude determination source to remove the drift errors from the gyros. A fully space qualified flight unit costs around $1M each, and triple redundancy is typical on expensive satellites. GPS attitude...
August 27th 03 08:41 PM
by user Go to last post
0 276
Need some advice by Vic Fraenckel
Ed Williams wrote: | I didn't quite follow what the problem was. Does my calculator suffer | the same problem? It is also based on Vicenty. | | http://williams.best.vwh.net/gccalc.htm | Ed, Thanks for answering. No, your calculator works correctly. I believe my problem lies in the
August 27th 03 08:34 PM
by Ed Williams Go to last post
4 239
Etrex diagnostics screen trick by Ken Bessler
Go to the trip computer screen. On the zoom buttons, press Up, Down & Up again. Bingo - power down "reason" screen and a "stack" list. I don't know if this works on all etrex's but it works on my Vista. Ken
August 27th 03 06:37 PM
by Jim Go to last post
3 184
Can I edit Maspsource data? by Don Loops
I there a way or a program to edit Mapsource map data so that I can e.g. add/delete streets, topo lines, POI info, etc.? TIA -- GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME.
August 27th 03 06:25 PM
by Don Loops Go to last post
0 225
SA2003 Radar Function by GrayFox
I tried to use Radar to locate campgrounds near the center of the map, but I couldn't select campgrounds. Another way to easily find the campgrounds?
August 27th 03 06:01 PM
Trade? Magellan mapsend worldwide basemap for??? by killroy97
I purchased several Magellan Cd's at an estate sale. None of them have have covers. I need a working serial for Magellan Mapsend worldwide database v1.00c to install the prog. In trade, I have my copies of Mapsend US V 4.0 or topo 1.0 to send as a trade. No serials required for those. If interested Email me. Thanks
August 27th 03 04:38 PM
by Plug Go to last post
1 230
MapSource Compatility by OliverS
I just ordered MapSource R&R Europe, and then looked at the Website a little bit closer. It does not indicate that it is compatible with the eTrex Vista. Is this a shortcoming in the websire, or is it incompatible with the eTres Vista? -- Cheers! OliverS When replying personally, remove "_removespam_" "When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race."...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 27th 03 03:50 PM
by OliverS Go to last post
12 526
2610 & 2650 ??? by Bauyouboy37
Has anyone seen or heard anything on the Garmin 2610 & 2650? There site says Aug.and with only 7 days left in Aug. Or is Garmin playing there usual game sorry next month sorry next month.
August 27th 03 03:49 PM
by bayouboy37 Go to last post
7 318
GPS accuracy equivalent by Erwin Schomburg
"Fabrice MENARD" schrieb im Newsbeitrag ... hello all, could someone tell me which distance in meter correspond to a 1 minute (or second)angle accuracy in latitude or longitude? Many thanks
August 27th 03 03:47 PM
by Carsten Kurz Go to last post
3 284
USB Earthmate: howto program native USB in Windows by Willem van Schaik
I developed a Windows GPS moving-map program for EarthMate (Rockwell protocol), TripMate, Garmin and generic NMEA (http://www.schaik.com/gps/gem/). In all cases using a serial interface. With the new USB EarthMate on the market, I would like to support that one as well. After having read all the problems people have with the USB-Serial drivers, I though the most obvious thing would be to add...
August 27th 03 03:33 PM
by Carsten Kurz Go to last post
7 340
2D DGPS fix better than 3D GPS? by Dale DePriest
Jason Martin wrote: Hi there! I am only concerend about Lat/Lon positions, not heights. Can anyone tell me if a 2D DGPS (WAAS/EGNOS) fix delievers a better position than a 3D GPS fix without DGPS (DOP being identical)? Thanks, Jason
August 27th 03 03:14 PM
by Dale DePriest Go to last post
0 191
2D DGPS fix better than 3D GPS? by Carsten Kurz
Jason Martin schrieb: Hi there! I am only concerend about Lat/Lon positions, not heights. Can anyone tell me if a 2D DGPS (WAAS/EGNOS) fix delievers a better position than a 3D GPS fix without DGPS (DOP being identical)? Theoretically yes, I'd say. Practically - no.
August 27th 03 02:46 PM
by Wayne R. Go to last post
1 195
GPS Receiver: Are there any other outputs than NMEA? by Jason Martin
There are other output protocols. Unfortunately, I haven't found a real good website with descriptions. Here are a few: TSIP (Trimble Standard Interface Protocol) - spits out binary data packages TAIP (Trimble ASCII Interface Protocol) - Trimbles answer to NMEA Rockwell Binaray (NavCore & Zodiac) - Delorme Earthmate uses Zodiac. Sony IPS - used in Sony GPS units - not really familiar with...
August 27th 03 01:47 PM
by Jason Martin Go to last post
0 167
stars simple trigonometry by Jacquelin Hardy
Allo Olivier, Fais une recherche avec Google pour: astro navigation software http://www.pangolin.co.nz/astro.php http://www.tecepe.com.br/nav/frNav_c11.htm Un bon "tutorial". En 2 mots, utiliser les étoiles pour faire le point, c'est résoudre un traingle sphérique ou les 3 sommets sont: 1. le pole élevé,
August 27th 03 01:31 PM
by Jacquelin Hardy Go to last post

From The