GPS and navigation process by David Phillips
Could some kind soul point to a layman's guide to how the navigation software works in our GPS units? I've got a fair understanding of how the GPS part works (not good enough to teach it to someone else :-) ), but the matching of the position to the maps, and the calculation of route is a mystery to me. TIA Dave
January 18th 08 03:46 PM
by David Phillips Go to last post
2 234
Use Garmin SD maps on a PC? by Theo[_2_]
Thanks to folks here, all set on loading POIs into new Nuvi 200W. Next question: I bought a UK SD chip for an upcoming trip. Works fine on the unit. So far, I haven't been able to open it into MapSource on my PC, which would be nice to pre-set a bunch of waypoints. Is there any way to do this? As a lesser point, I get the impression that I can't copy this card onto a fresh one as a backup....
January 18th 08 02:24 AM
by Theo[_2_] Go to last post
2 251
Wow. The Garmin nüvi 350 is better designed than I thought! by Hilario
Wow. I returned my Garmin nüvi 350 Christmas gift from my hubby to the store because I thought the nüvi 350 would not power up from a standard mini usb cigarette lighter plug. He bought himself the Garmin nüvi 680 which we also returned for the same reason. Then, two days later, I was sitting in a friends' car lamenting the poor design of GPS electronics when I realized she was RUNNING THE NUVI...
January 17th 08 06:52 AM
by stanley Go to last post
2 228
Lowest cost L2 OEM receiver? by [email protected]
What is the lowest cost for a L1/L2 receiver? I realize that you can;t do Pcode, but I'm looking for a receiver that can do "wide lane" carrier phase.
January 17th 08 05:44 AM
by Craig Markwardt Go to last post
1 163
Why is eTrex Vista HCx 2.60 unit software not available for separate download? by Domagoj Malovic[_2_]
It seems that through the web updater now the 2.60 software is available for the HCx. But all the users on the GpsPassion forums say the instalation freezes but the unit is patched?! And they claim Garmin has finally fixed the odometer issue, yay! But why is the 2.60 software update not available for separate download? Is there a way to catch it from the web updater? Domi
January 16th 08 11:06 PM
by Domagoj Malovic[_2_] Go to last post
0 170
Mapping services by Steve[_6_]
Excerpts from http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120027487946287479.html Tele Atlas and Navteq spent more than two decades building databases of information that the European Commission now call a "duopoly market for navigable digital maps." To get an idea of how hard it would be for a new entrant in the business, consider their process - the companies dispatch hundreds of field personnel around...
January 16th 08 05:24 AM
by Steve[_6_] Go to last post
0 200
Should I buy this Garmin Nuvi 350 Display unit? by Hilario
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 00:35:42 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote: My Best Buy store has a Garmin nuvi 350 for $97.95. Deal, IMO At 100 dollars, even a Garmin nüvi 350 would seem worth it. Bear in mind the serious and less serious flaws though. - No tracks - No multiple vias - No routing from the computer
January 15th 08 01:56 PM
by Dave Allison[_2_] Go to last post
8 257
Global Surveyors by Global Surveyor
My name is Scott Taylor. In 2006 I created the Global Surveyors phenomenon. With over 15 years experience in Surveying, I have the passion to unite Surveyors world wide by allowing you to share your comments, experience and knowledge with your fellow surveying community on my website. Global Surveyors is not just a website. It is a place for networking and building wealth.
January 15th 08 01:48 AM
by Global Surveyor Go to last post
0 221
Giuen Holding Ltd. Medico Mediterraneo Specializzazione by [email protected]
Institution Information L.A. Breed Integration / International Distributors Retail Division We belives that this standard will ensure a comprehensive, coordinated apporach to merchandise while emphasizing the flexibility of the requirement... Giuen Holding Ltd. Medico Mediterraneo Specializzazione Goteborgsvagen 1 434 00 Kungsbacka
January 14th 08 01:49 PM
Nuvi 700/200/600 Series - Coordinates by Derek
It would appear that a useful feature available within the Nuvi 600 Series receivers has been lost with the release of the 700 and 200 Series Nuvi. With the 600/700 Series Nuvi, it is possible to navigate using coordinates (such as Lat/Long). The coordinate format isn't configured through the setup menus, but is set through the "Where to?" option; you simply choose to search by coordinates,...
January 13th 08 03:51 PM
by Derek Go to last post
0 212
USB cable for Garmin Nuvi 200W? by Theo[_2_]
Apologies if this is a naive or RTFM question - though there isn't much of a manual with the unit, or apparent on Garmin's site. Just received this unit. From reviews, I was expecting a mini-USB socket on the side. Instead, there's what looks like a proprietary power connection on the back, and no obvious way to link to internal memory (or charge from a PC). What am I missing here? Am I...
January 11th 08 07:15 PM
by trailgalore Go to last post
4 346
Giuen Holding Ltd. Diagnostics by [email protected]
International Distributors We belives that this standard will ensure a comprehensive, coordinated apporach to merchandise while emphasizing the flexibility of the requirement.... 05 January 2008 In regards to: Retail Division
January 11th 08 03:24 PM
SCI .CRYPT by [email protected]
WELCOME , $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ http://memory solution.blogspot.com/ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
January 11th 08 01:38 PM
Compare GPS Models To Get The Right Choice For You by jennyjenny
When I got bitten by the GPS bug, I decided to compare GPS systems to see which would be the best for me. I only had a vague idea of what these remarkable devices did... http://mobilegadgets.freewebhosting247.com/Compare_GPS_Models_To_Get_The_Right_Choice_For_You.htm
January 10th 08 09:35 AM
by jennyjenny Go to last post
0 217
************************************************** **** by [email protected]
****************************************************** u like sex_withhotcore,movies,pic,etc sex_with_sonia,steel_****y_movie &sexlyshows_with_teenage_girls sex_shows http://www.geocities.com/neizeland ******************************************************
January 10th 08 05:17 AM
Looking for a portable nav. system under $200 by [email protected]
I'm looking for a portable navigation system for my car under $200. My son has a Tomtom.I like it except for the small screen and not announcing the street names. I can probably get along with a small screen, but i think i would feel more comfoprtable with one which announces the street names.Also,when i was with him last week, we were on the freeway and it announced an exit that he said was a...
January 10th 08 12:15 AM
Time to destination by NadCixelsyd
Old (over 5 or so years) Garmins used to compute time to destination by dividing the distance by the velocity-made-good towards the destination. Is there any way to get my current Garmin to ignore any "smoothing" algorithms and just give it to me straight, like the old Garmins.
January 9th 08 11:38 PM
by Jack Yeazel Go to last post
3 242
How come there are no comments on the new Garmin Colorado handheld reciever :) by Domagoj Malovic[_2_]
If you still have not found the review, there is one simple one at: http://tinyurl.com/2prn4z Still can't make up my mind if I like it or not. - Relatively short battery life (hpopefully due to a much faster processor) - A little bulky - Not compatible with various mounts - Still has the antenna protruding out of the device
January 9th 08 04:57 PM
by I. Care[_2_] Go to last post
1 198
New Phone with 'Real' GPS features. by Wayne R.
New phone with real GPS features, track logging, geofence, waypoints: http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/09/supa-show-off-super-gt1000-gps-tracking-phone/
January 9th 08 01:12 PM
by Wayne R. Go to last post
0 149
Nihil novi - GPS at Consumer Electronics Show Las Vegas 2008 by Darius
Could you kindly name only 3 novelties from GPS market, presented at CES 2008 ? Darius
January 8th 08 02:24 PM
by Darius Go to last post

From The