Using Tom Tom Abroad

Old February 14th 08, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Mike

Default Using Tom Tom Abroad

We expect to use TT in France later this year. Do the verbal direction
instructions remain focused on RH driving or do they recognise the switch to
LH. I am thinking mainly of say Rbts where the exits are identified by
number.

Mike

Old February 14th 08, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Ian Rawlings

On 2008-02-14, Mike wrote:

We expect to use TT in France later this year. Do the verbal direction
instructions remain focused on RH driving or do they recognise the switch to
LH. I am thinking mainly of say Rbts where the exits are identified by
number.

It took it into account when I was running tomtom 5 on a Palm Pilot in
France. You could probably test it by doing an advanced planning
route from somewhere in France to somewhere else in France.

http://youtube.com/user/tarcus69
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarcus/
Old February 14th 08, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Conor[_3_]

In article , Mike says...
We expect to use TT in France later this year. Do the verbal direction
instructions remain focused on RH driving or do they recognise the switch to
LH. I am thinking mainly of say Rbts where the exits are identified by
number.

What does common sense tell you?

--
Conor

As a Brit I'd like to thank the Americans for their help in the war
against terror because if they'd not funded the IRA for 30 years, we
wouldn't know how to deal with terrorists.
Old February 14th 08, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Nick

"Conor" wrote in message
In article , Mike says...
We expect to use TT in France later this year. Do the verbal direction
instructions remain focused on RH driving or do they recognise the

switch to
LH. I am thinking mainly of say Rbts where the exits are identified by
number.

What does common sense tell you?

If he, or most who use Sat Nav devices, had any, he'd not have asked the
question.

Old February 14th 08, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Ian Rawlings

On 2008-02-14, Conor wrote:

What does common sense tell you?

Common sense tells him not to trust computer software.

Old February 14th 08, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Ian Rawlings

On 2008-02-14, Ian Rawlings wrote:

It took it into account when I was running tomtom 5 on a Palm Pilot in
France. You could probably test it by doing an advanced planning
route from somewhere in France to somewhere else in France.

... in fact ISTR that there's even an option for it to yell at you to
remind you to drive on the left! err, right! Like many others though
I found the switch to be surprisingly easy to make so didn't need it,
and my tomtom 5 setup didn't give me any grief at all when it came to
navigating. That was all about 3 years ago I think.

Old February 15th 08, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gps
David Millen

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 21:07:49 +0000, Ian Rawlings

On 2008-02-14, Conor wrote:

What does common sense tell you?

Common sense tells him not to trust computer software.

Unquestionably correct. As evidence of how dependent many folk have
become on these things (and confident/trusting of their capabilities),
I had not even considered the OP's question.

This makes me look like an eejit, because I drive quite a bit in Spain
and the UK, in RHD and LHD vehicles - sometimes the "wrong" way round
- using a TomTom.

No accidents so far [taps self on head].
--
All the best
David Millen

Old February 15th 08, 03:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gps
J-@-ck

Mike a écrit :
We expect to use TT in France later this year. Do the verbal direction
instructions remain focused on RH driving or do they recognise the switch to
LH. I am thinking mainly of say Rbts where the exits are identified by
number.

Hopefully... TomTom knows if it is left or right side driving but still
keep the instructions in your selected language :-)

--
J-@-ck
Old February 15th 08, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gps
Peter

Mike wrote:
We expect to use TT in France later this year. Do the verbal direction
instructions remain focused on RH driving or do they recognise the switch to
LH. I am thinking mainly of say Rbts where the exits are identified by
number.

Mike

I've used a tomtom one v2 abroad and find it correctly calls the
junctions, ie. a traditional 4 way roundabout comes up as "Cross the
roundabout, 3rd exit" for a "left" turn. Also with the latest software
upgrade you have an option to have a "drive on the right" warning at
switch on
Old February 16th 08, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gps
Artleknock

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 20:36:41 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

We expect to use TT in France later this year. Do the verbal direction
instructions remain focused on RH driving or do they recognise the switch to
LH. I am thinking mainly of say Rbts where the exits are identified by
number.

Mike

Took my One XL to Nice Airport last september, where we hired a car.
Plugged it in, switched on, entered destination - Impasse de la Piede,
Vidauban. Went as sweet as a nut , correct way round roundabouts and
everything.