Sat nav for lorry

Old August 26th 11, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Vic[_2_]

Default Sat nav for lorry

Looking to buy a sat nav to be used in a large-ish truck. I have seen some
advertised specifically for LGV use. Are these any good or would I be just
as well off getting something like a TomTom and programming in POI warnings
?

Looking for the usual stuff like low bridge warnings, weight limits, roads
unsuitable for LGVs, speed limit warnings etc. The ability to programme
routes avoiding all these would be very useful. Oh, and the maps would have
to be kept reasonably up to date.

Do any of the mainstream gps manufacturers produce these and does anyone
have experience of any ?

TIA

Old August 26th 11, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Cliff Coggin

I hope you find something suitable. I am told most of the cases of lorries
stuck in tiny country lanes and damaging buildings are caused by cheapskate
drivers buying car satnavs.

Cliff Coggin.

Old August 26th 11, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Mike Lane[_2_]

Vic wrote on Aug 26, 2011:

Looking to buy a sat nav to be used in a large-ish truck. I have seen some
advertised specifically for LGV use. Are these any good or would I be just
as well off getting something like a TomTom and programming in POI warnings
?

Looking for the usual stuff like low bridge warnings, weight limits, roads
unsuitable for LGVs, speed limit warnings etc. The ability to programme
routes avoiding all these would be very useful. Oh, and the maps would have
to be kept reasonably up to date.

Do any of the mainstream gps manufacturers produce these and does anyone
have experience of any ?

Garmin do at least two models specifically designed to be truck-friendly.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=275

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old August 27th 11, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Swifty

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 15:19:19 +0100, "Vic"
wrote:

Do any of the mainstream gps manufacturers produce these and does anyone
have experience of any ?

My TomTom IQ asks how I'm travelling. The options are "Foot",
"Bicycle", "Car" and about 4 more (that I've never memorised).
Presumably "Truck" might be one of these, so it doesn't send you down
an alley. I'll find out, if you like.

All of the trucks where I've seen the dashboard mounted SatNav, it's
looked like a regular "domestic" variety.

My TomTom took me down a track like the one that Phil Silvers went
down in "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World". Luckily I avoided going in
the river.

Incidentally, I found adding PoI's to be disappointingly cumbersome on
the TomTom. You have to register your own class, and put your personal
ones in this class (so all lumped together). A couple of years ago, I
had an incontinent dog, so I developed a fascination with Lay Bye's...
I imagine families with small children might be in the same boat, so
to speak (and no, I don't think that's one of the extra modes of
transport).

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
Old July 18th 15, 09:11 PM
jessejazza jessejazza is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Coggin View Post

"Vic" wrote in message
Looking to buy a sat nav to be used in a large-ish truck. I have seen some
advertised specifically for LGV use. Are these any good or would I be just
as well off getting something like a TomTom and programming in POI
warnings ?

Looking for the usual stuff like low bridge warnings, weight limits, roads
unsuitable for LGVs, speed limit warnings etc. The ability to programme
routes avoiding all these would be very useful. Oh, and the maps would
have to be kept reasonably up to date.

Do any of the mainstream gps manufacturers produce these and does anyone
have experience of any ?

TIA
I am also LGV. I think you have been told the truth but any device has to be used with an ounce of commonsense!

Those who drive expect a satnav to replace the human brain... so they don't have to think anymore. I only have a cheap garmin and I find it excellent. The more expensive ones I have looked at don't always get you where you wnat to be i.e. too clever and seem to malfunction. Mine is the Garmin Nuvi 52LM... I would get the 6" version though.

For over a year now I have been doing 20-30 drops per day, and only once have had a problem. Due to not updating. Postcodes are not as reliable as one would hope is what I have learnt. I almost always type in the house number, road name and village/town - e.g. one large industrial estate had only one postcode.

Diverting works extremely well I have found. Use it - so stick to the main roads where bridges and potential obstacles found on B roads can be avoided.

I wouldn't spend large sums on a complicated satnav when a cheaper one will be fine used sensibly. When I move to a house that can receive a mobile signal I will get a smartphone so I can use google maps when I get in trouble. That's still a better bet and cheaper than an expensive satnav.

Unwise I feel to place too much trust in a satnav. Updates from Garmin are good and worth doing every couple of weeks... as a truck driver.

Something else I am just reading up on is to replace the garmin maps with others that are more main road/truck 'friendly'. Think of the satnav as a mini pc and reading a drive i.e. mini SD card. Load maps to your liking i.e. truck maps... that's the solution I think we drivers are looking for.