A Satellite Navigation and Global Positioing Systems forum. Sat Nav Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Sat Nav Banter forum » GPS and Sat Nav Newsgroups » uk.rec.gps (UK Sat Nav)
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.rec.gps (UK Sat Nav) (uk.rec.gps) for the discussion of all aspects of the UK use of Global Positioning Systems and any other satellite positioning/navigation systems which may be developed. Also any improvements, or extensions to the above and radio navigation systems.

Blue Peter Sat Nav - Laptop+Forerunner305



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 20th 13, 02:53 PM
laylos laylos is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by SatNavBanter: Feb 2013
Posts: 2
Thumbs up Blue Peter Sat Nav - Laptop+Forerunner305

Hi All

Hoping you can me..been scanning the interweb for a while.

I currently live in Berlin and have just bought a campervan :-). I'm planning to make a road trip to Scotland later this year and would like to have a sat nav assist me.

I'm one of those folk who is learning to enjoy using what I already have to get what I would like (when possible).

I have a laptop and I have a Garmin Forerunner 305. Is there anyway I can put these together to get a sat nav? I would like to know about free software that I can use. I do not plan on having internet connection whilst on the road so all needs to be offline when pottering about Europe.

Your assistance in this is really appreciated!

Thanks
Steve

Just saw a post with GPSDrive mentioned, is this the solution? Any other free software out there?

Thanks
Steve

Seems like GPSDrive is not for Windows...I have windows 7 on the laptop

Last edited by laylos : February 20th 13 at 03:03 PM. Reason: GPSDrive is not for Windows..I have windows 7.
  #2  
Old February 20th 13, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
R. Mark Clayton
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 119
Default Blue Peter Sat Nav - Laptop+Forerunner305


"laylos" wrote in message
...

Hi All

Hoping you can me..been scanning the interweb for a while.

I currently live in Berlin and have just bought a campervan :-). I'm
planning to make a road trip to Scotland later this year and would like
to have a sat nav assist me.

I'm one of those folk who is learning to enjoy using what I already have
to get what I would like (when possible).

I have a laptop and I have a Garmin Forerunner 305. Is there anyway I
can put these together to get a sat nav? I would like to know about free
software that I can use. I do not plan on having internet connection
whilst on the road so all needs to be offline when pottering about
Europe.

Your assistance in this is really appreciated!

Thanks
Steve




--
laylos


Many programs will accept GPS input from an external device either by USB
and / or Bluetooth.

E.g. Autoroute 2006 that I have on my desktop.

Whether the Garmin Forerunner 305 can do this may involve you in reading its
manual...

OTOH a GPS dongle is peanuts these days or you might be able to use a phone
as a GPS receiver.

Decent BMW's have had GPS for well over a decade - did you buy a cheap
Volkswagen?


  #3  
Old February 21st 13, 08:02 AM
laylos laylos is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by SatNavBanter: Feb 2013
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Mark Clayton View Post
"laylos" wrote in message
...

Hi All

Hoping you can me..been scanning the interweb for a while.

I currently live in Berlin and have just bought a campervan :-). I'm
planning to make a road trip to Scotland later this year and would like
to have a sat nav assist me.

I'm one of those folk who is learning to enjoy using what I already have
to get what I would like (when possible).

I have a laptop and I have a Garmin Forerunner 305. Is there anyway I
can put these together to get a sat nav? I would like to know about free
software that I can use. I do not plan on having internet connection
whilst on the road so all needs to be offline when pottering about
Europe.

Your assistance in this is really appreciated!

Thanks
Steve




--
laylos


Many programs will accept GPS input from an external device either by USB
and / or Bluetooth.

E.g. Autoroute 2006 that I have on my desktop.

Whether the Garmin Forerunner 305 can do this may involve you in reading its
manual...

OTOH a GPS dongle is peanuts these days or you might be able to use a phone
as a GPS receiver.

Decent BMW's have had GPS for well over a decade - did you buy a cheap
Volkswagen?
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Does Autoroute not cost money? When I start adding such things then sometimes I think I may aswell look towards buying a smartphone or tablet then don;t need to do the blue peter thing.

I know the Garmin is a gps receiver and thought this would be all that is required + the mapping software. I will look into it and see if I can get it to work.

The VW is 20 years old....a nice one! :-)

Cheers
Steve
  #4  
Old February 21st 13, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Mike Coon[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 144
Default Blue Peter Sat Nav - Laptop+Forerunner305

laylos wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

Does Autoroute not cost money? When I start adding such things then
sometimes I think I may aswell look towards buying a smartphone or
tablet then don;t need to do the blue peter thing.

I know the Garmin is a gps receiver and thought this would be all that
is required + the mapping software. I will look into it and see if I
can get it to work.

The VW is 20 years old....a nice one! :-)

Cheers
Steve


I'm sure Autoroute would cost if not free with your system.

Presumably you are not looking to get the full voice guidance of a satnav.
That of course requires the continuous co-ordinate stream into the laptop.
Which may be possible from the Garmin, though from my reading of blurb it
just transfers historical track data, and perhaps that only to proprietorial
software. If it also outputs an NMEA stream then you are in business. But
that is more appropriate to hand-helds rather than wrist-mounted. Reading a
co-ordinate from its screen and typing it into a laptop sounds rather too
laborious to be of help!

Mike.
--
If reply address is (invalid), remove spurious "@"
and substitute "plus" for +.


  #5  
Old February 21st 13, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Mike Clark[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Blue Peter Sat Nav - Laptop+Forerunner305

In message
"Mike Coon" wrote:

laylos wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

Does Autoroute not cost money? When I start adding such things then
sometimes I think I may aswell look towards buying a smartphone or
tablet then don;t need to do the blue peter thing.

I know the Garmin is a gps receiver and thought this would be all that
is required + the mapping software. I will look into it and see if I
can get it to work.

The VW is 20 years old....a nice one! :-)

Cheers
Steve


I'm sure Autoroute would cost if not free with your system.

Presumably you are not looking to get the full voice guidance of a
satnav. That of course requires the continuous co-ordinate stream
into the laptop. Which may be possible from the Garmin, though from
my reading of blurb it just transfers historical track data, and
perhaps that only to proprietorial software. If it also outputs an
NMEA stream then you are in business. But that is more appropriate to
hand-helds rather than wrist-mounted. Reading a co-ordinate from its
screen and typing it into a laptop sounds rather too laborious to be
of help!

Mike.


The older Garmin units with a serial interface do put out an NMEA stream
but the newer units with a USB interface do not. Then of course you also
need the serial input into the PC which also tends to be missing on
newer laptops, although that end of it can be sorted using a USB to
Serial converter on the laptop.

What I would be much more concerned about is how much of distraction the
final result would be to a driver. You certainly don't want to have to
keep looking across to a complicated PC screen in order to see where
you're going. Even with dedicated SatNav devices such as TomTom, my
preference is to configure them to display (usually with a speed setting
of say above 30mph) the symbolic information screen that simply tells
you how far to the next junction and what type of junction it is. I
really hate those moving 3D image displays that tend to require you to
spend longer looking at the display and thus distracting you from
looking at what's happening outside!

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
" || _`\,_ |__\ \ | caving, antibody engineer and
` || (_)/ (_) | \corn computer user" http://www.antibody.me.uk/
  #6  
Old February 21st 13, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Mike Coon[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 144
Default Blue Peter Sat Nav - Laptop+Forerunner305

Mike Clark wrote:
The older Garmin units with a serial interface do put out an NMEA
stream but the newer units with a USB interface do not. Then of
course you also need the serial input into the PC which also tends to
be missing on newer laptops, although that end of it can be sorted
using a USB to Serial converter on the laptop.

What I would be much more concerned about is how much of distraction
the final result would be to a driver. You certainly don't want to
have to keep looking across to a complicated PC screen in order to
see where you're going. Even with dedicated SatNav devices such as
TomTom, my preference is to configure them to display (usually with a
speed setting of say above 30mph) the symbolic information screen
that simply tells you how far to the next junction and what type of
junction it is. I really hate those moving 3D image displays that
tend to require you to spend longer looking at the display and thus
distracting you from looking at what's happening outside!

Mike


I would hope that a laptop would be used exclusively in voice mode (though I
like to have a proper satnav where I can see the turning diagrams, as you
say).

I hadn't realised that USB Garmins don't use NMEA streams. Mine are old
RS232 ones. Google Earth specifically allows for Garmin PVT input (which I
have used with my own programs on serial links as alternative to NMEA) but I
don't know whether USB devices have that either.

And then there's Bluetooth...

Mike.
--
If reply address is (invalid), remove spurious "@"
and substitute "plus" for +.


  #7  
Old February 21st 13, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Craig Wallace
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 45
Default Blue Peter Sat Nav - Laptop+Forerunner305

On 21/02/2013 17:41, Mike Coon wrote:

I hadn't realised that USB Garmins don't use NMEA streams. Mine are old
RS232 ones. Google Earth specifically allows for Garmin PVT input (which I
have used with my own programs on serial links as alternative to NMEA) but I
don't know whether USB devices have that either.


Some USB Garmin handhelds can give NMEA output with appropriate
software. eg Garmin Spanner or GPSGate. These will convert the USB
interface into a virtual serial port.

Not all USB Garmins support this. Some of the newer models work in USB
mass storage mode as standard, but have an option for "Spanner mode".

Craig
  #8  
Old February 22nd 13, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gps
Dick
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15
Default Blue Peter Sat Nav - Laptop+Forerunner305

"laylos" wrote in message
...

Hi All

Hoping you can me..been scanning the interweb for a while.

I currently live in Berlin and have just bought a campervan :-). I'm
planning to make a road trip to Scotland later this year and would like
to have a sat nav assist me.

I'm one of those folk who is learning to enjoy using what I already have
to get what I would like (when possible).

I have a laptop and I have a Garmin Forerunner 305. Is there anyway I
can put these together to get a sat nav? I would like to know about free
software that I can use. I do not plan on having internet connection
whilst on the road so all needs to be offline when pottering about
Europe.

Your assistance in this is really appreciated!

Thanks
Steve




--
laylos


Garmin compatible free and routable maps can be assembled by following link
below:

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

They can be viewed on PC using Mapsource or Basecamp from Garmin and these
programs can be used to download to compatible Garmin devices. This option
is also available from the link.

  #9  
Old February 22nd 13, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gps
Mike Clark[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Blue Peter Sat Nav - Laptop+Forerunner305

In message
"Dick" wrote:

[snip]
Garmin compatible free and routable maps can be assembled by following link
below:

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

They can be viewed on PC using Mapsource or Basecamp from Garmin and
these programs can be used to download to compatible Garmin devices.
This option is also available from the link.


For openstreetmap maps of the UK and Ireland, to be used on Garmin
devices and also PCs and MacOS, with all of the hard work of compiling
done for you I'd recommend Talky Toaster

http://TalkyToaster.co.uk/ukmaps.htm

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
" || _`\,_ |__\ \ | caving, antibody engineer and
` || (_)/ (_) | \corn computer user" http://www.antibody.me.uk/
  #10  
Old April 5th 13, 08:43 AM
TigerLion1 TigerLion1 is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by SatNavBanter: Apr 2013
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laylos View Post
Hi All

Hoping you can me..been scanning the interweb for a while.

I currently live in Berlin and have just bought a campervan :-). I'm planning to make a road trip to Scotland later this year and would like to have a sat nav assist me.

I'm one of those folk who is learning to enjoy using what I already have to get what I would like (when possible).

I have a laptop and I have a Garmin Forerunner 305. Is there anyway I can put these together to get a sat nav? I would like to know about free software that I can use. I do not plan on having internet connection whilst on the road so all needs to be offline when pottering about Europe.

Your assistance in this is really appreciated!

Thanks
Steve

Just saw a post with GPSDrive mentioned, is this the solution? Any other free software out there?

Thanks
Steve

Seems like GPSDrive is not for Windows...I have windows 7 on the laptop


Continue the different process and produce a certain limit on the particular one/.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2017 Sat Nav Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.