SatMap price reductions

Old November 23rd 13, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Cliff Coggin

Default SatMap price reductions

Satmap have announced some major price reductions on their maps because,
they say, OS have reduced the royalty demands. Most of the 1:25000 county
maps have about 50% off, and it is now possible to get the whole of Britain
at1:25000 on two SD cards for 203, which for the first time is cheaper than
paper maps.

Coincidentally, just three hours before I heard the news I decided to wait
until Satmap had one of their regular sales before ordering a map of
Yorkshire. Now I shall get all of Britain.

Cliff Coggin.

Old November 26th 13, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 23/11/2013 18:45, Cliff Coggin wrote:
Satmap have announced some major price reductions on their maps because,
they say, OS have reduced the royalty demands. Most of the 1:25000 county
maps have about 50% off, and it is now possible to get the whole of Britain
at1:25000 on two SD cards for 203, which for the first time is cheaper than
paper maps.

Coincidentally, just three hours before I heard the news I decided to wait
until Satmap had one of their regular sales before ordering a map of
Yorkshire. Now I shall get all of Britain.

Cliff Coggin.

I think it's actually 230 (not 203) - but it's still a massive reduction
compared with the previous price of 2,100!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old November 26th 13, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
R. Mark Clayton

"Cliff Coggin" wrote in message
Satmap have announced some major price reductions on their maps because,
they say, OS have reduced the royalty demands. Most of the 1:25000 county
maps have about 50% off, and it is now possible to get the whole of
Britain at1:25000 on two SD cards for 203, which for the first time is
cheaper than paper maps.

Coincidentally, just three hours before I heard the news I decided to wait
until Satmap had one of their regular sales before ordering a map of
Yorkshire. Now I shall get all of Britain.

They are getting screwed over by Google Maps and Bing.

Back in the 1990's I went to a seminar at the Royal Geographic Society's HQ
(Geographic Institute) in London. It was high quality early stuff based on
OS data. The trouble was that with the royalties and their cornered
position the prices were sky high, so I said "You are just exploiting a
state monopoly on mapping information that is protected by Crown Copyright"
They did not like this and said that "anyone who did not like it could go
and conduct their own survey" I retorted that "During much of the last 100
years anyone doing so would have been prosecuted under the Defence of the
Realm Act and during certain periods faced the death penalty", At the time
the prospect of anyone NOT relying on OS data was risible, but now at least
two players have mapping that is not based on OS data and both are free. In
the USA state mapping is open data and William Jefferson Clinton made p-mode
GPS free for the whole world - good on you Bill.

Anyway it looks like a bit of competition is doing some good.

Cliff Coggin.

Old November 26th 13, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Cliff Coggin

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message

[...]

Whatever the reason, the price reduction seems to have prompted an explosion
of sales for Satmap. If that's the result of competition then let's have
more.

Cliff.

Old November 26th 13, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Cliff Coggin

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
[...]

Must have mistyped the figure in my excitement G

Cliff.

Old December 1st 13, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Craig Wallace

On 2013-11-23 18:45, Cliff Coggin wrote:
Satmap have announced some major price reductions on their maps because,
they say, OS have reduced the royalty demands. Most of the 1:25000 county
maps have about 50% off, and it is now possible to get the whole of Britain
at1:25000 on two SD cards for 203, which for the first time is cheaper than
paper maps.

Coincidentally, just three hours before I heard the news I decided to wait
until Satmap had one of their regular sales before ordering a map of
Yorkshire. Now I shall get all of Britain.

It is not just Satmap, it seems most of the other OS map software has
reduced prices. ie Anquest, Mapyx Quo, Memory-Map, Tracklogs etc.

Still some price differences between these, so worth comparing. And also
differences in software features, and what devices they run on.

Craig

Old December 5th 13, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Michael Chare[_2_]

On 26/11/2013 16:34, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

Clinton removed Selective Availability - which was a great benefit. I
bought my first GPS in 1995. It was accurate enough to get me out of
trouble!

--
Michael Chare
Old December 5th 13, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gps
Mike Coon[_3_]

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
o.uk...

Clinton removed Selective Availability - which was a great benefit. I
bought my first GPS in 1995. It was accurate enough to get me out of
trouble!

You must have been smart enough to get one with the "Beam me up Scotty"
function!

Mike.